1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all:

Here's one for the professional holster makers: When you make a holster, how do you dress the raw cut edges of the leather to get that nice professional look?

Thanks, and Semper Fi.

Ron H.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Sand them smooth, take off the sharp edge with an edging tool, then dye and burnish. You can add wax to the edge and that will shine things up as well, but it insn't a must.

If you google "burnishing leather" I am sure you will find more than you care to on the topic.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I used a edger tool to cut the sharp inner and outer edges off.

Then I dyed the edge with an edge dressing.

After that dried, I applied a coat of Gum Tragacanth.
This is (literally) a snot-like slimy substance that's applied to the edge than burnished.
It leaves the edge with a hard, shiny, smooth surface that looks "finished".

I used an OLD "circle edge slicker" made of a super hard wood called Lignum Vitae.
Today, they're made of nylon.
I filed a wider groove in the edge to fit holster edges, then polished the groove smooth.
After applying the Gum Tragacanth, briskly rub the circle edge slicker over the edge until it gets shiny.

Some people make a cone-shaped slicker that looks like a cone with various width grooves in it.
They mount this on an electric motor and power burnish the edge, often with wax.

·
Banned
501 Posts
I use a mixture of Gum Trag. and 30% water mixture. Dampen your sanded and edged (with the edger) edges and use a 1/2 circle slicker on them..this is for single edges. I then clean them up with a highly polished dear horn....for double edges...same process but just use the horn. A finishing touch is after I dye/buff and clear coat...then hit the edges hard on a buffing wheel and then again with the horn. It makes them like glass and without wax...........

Hope this helped.........Shoot well and god bless

1 - 4 of 4 Posts