1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new iwb for my Springfield Champion and I've decided on a Milt Sparks "Watch Six" model.... can't figure out whether to go with traditional loops or the talon clips.

A little background: I'm all but constantly wearing jeans (work included), I always wear a belt and I'll be ordering one with the holster (either 1.25" or 1.5") so support shouldn't be a problem either way.

It appears the talon clips would give better access to the pockets and would eliminate the possibility of the loops grabbing the shirt (printing). At the same time, the loops would seem less likely to pull the top of the pants down from the belt.
Any suggestions on which option to go with?

Thanks for the ongiong help,
Mac

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I went with the Talon clips. Why? Because I have a another Alessi holster with clip and they work great. In fact if you order the Dual Talon watch six, we will be twins. I carry the Champion too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have both clips and loops for my VersaMax 2. I tried the clips and while they worked, the belt loops were more comfortable to wear all day. I, too, have a Milt Sparks belt in 1.5" and love it. The VM2 loops themselves never print, add great stability to the rig, and don't inhibit access to my pockets. As you suspect, the clips do pull on the waist of the pants, whereas the loops distribute the weight of the pistol on the belt. I primarily wear Dockers, not jeans, so YMMV.

I'm going to order a Watch Six for my full sized Kimber, and will get it with loops.

Regards,
TBob

------------------
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
- George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input TBob. I've noticed a slight "middle-age spread" beginning to occur. Not too bad now, but enough that the top of my jeans sometimes folds down over a 1.25" belt - hence the 1.5" belt will be forthcoming! This is also the reason for my concern with the talon clips pulling on the top of the jeans.

I looked at the VersaMax design as well but I don't see myself needing to tuck in a shirt over the weapon. I believe it also rides lower in the Watch Six model ???

I've tried two other iwbs since I began this "addiction" and neither of them were what I'd consider comfortable for extended wear. Both models had the loops directly over the holster & both were for 1911's, I think I see a pattern here. Anyway, I thought I'd give the offset loop design a whirl and see how it feels. From everything I've heard there's a remarkable difference in the comfort level.

Thanks again,

Mac

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a "watch Six w/talon clips" and it has to be one of my all time favorites. I find myself wearing it more than any other holster I own for daily wear. If you are a "jeans kinda person", a belt is not needed. I clip the holster in place at 4:00 am and it is where I put it when I take of my Jeans at 11
m. If I do put on a belt, I wear it over the talon clips anyway. The holster is very comfortable... you can forget it is there. The only draw back I have seen (here's a hint Alessi & Sparks) is the lack of a reinforced mouth. The holster will collapse when you draw your firearm making re-holstering a pain in the you know what. I find that going to the range I will put on my Alessi "DOJ" ( which is a fantastic holster as well) for ease of re-holstering.
-JHG-

·
Registered
560 Posts
I beleive the holster( watch six) was designed to be as thin as posibble to enhance concealmentand confort, the sparks website has an ilustration on reholstering your weapon with this holster and cautions about it collapsing or shooting yourself.
I have one almost broken in and it is molding itself to my hip beautifully.
This holster is great as it is IMHO.
VM-2 or the Alessi Talon Plus are my gear of choice.

[This message has been edited by CMC (edited 05-21-2001).]

·
Registered
118 Posts
To: Maclean

I carry a Champion also. About 2 months ago, I bought a Galco SOB and love it. This holster is not only comfortable, but FAST! You may want to consider this holster. I use a T shirt to cover my weapon, while wearing shorts. Keep the 1911 alive and well. You have a gun show in your fine city next weekend. May see you there.

Bear One

1 - 8 of 8 Posts