1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I’ve recently purchased a custom government model from Ed Brown. Turn around is 9 months from now. I’m going to need a holster. Who’s everyone’s go to holster? I like having options and different holsters for different occasion. I have a few for my Glock, but they are cheaply made and I would prefer a higher quality holster from my 1911.
Edit: forgot to mention, my 1911 will have a light rail and an RMR on it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ed Brown sells a leather holster for the 5" Govt Model with a light rail, for $250. I've found a reasonably priced kydex holster for a Govt Model with a light rail made by Blade Tech. Kydex holsters are good for the range and open carry, but can put some serious wear on the finish of a pistol - especially if they get sandy or dirty inside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed Brown sells a leather holster for the 5" Govt Model with a light rail, for $250. I've found a reasonably priced kydex holster for a Govt Model with a light rail made by Blade Tech. Kydex holsters are good for the range and open carry, but can put some serious wear on the finish of a pistol - especially if they get sandy or dirty inside.
That’s my biggest concern is the “wear factor”. I’ll definitely check out Blade Tech. I appreciate the recommendation.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have a holster shipped today it's from Southern Trapper.
They have options if pistol has light or red dot .
They also have suede interior upgrade.
Working time Four weeks.
This my first order from them, yet to see it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I got a lined “Rancher” holster from Southern Trapper a few weeks ago for my Executive Carry. Captan Bligh makes a nice holster with a lot of attention to detail. I had intended to wear OWB but unfortunately I couldn’t get it into my sweet spot due to belt loop locations so I used the supplied hardware & have been carrying IWB. Still drags on the draw but it’s getting better as it breaks in.

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
Hello everyone! I’ve recently purchased a custom government model from Ed Brown.

I’m going to need a holster.

I have a few for my Glock, ...

my 1911 will have a light rail and an RMR on it.
The light rail will make a difference, as will the RMR. While most folks make a holster for a 5" 1911, or Government Model, the rail and RMR may limit your options, though more are becoming available for those two options.

Here are IWB and OWB holster picture threads to give you some ideas of what folks are using.

IWB Holster Picture thread The offical IWB holster pic thread

OWB Holster Picture thread OWB Holster Pic Thread

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
Forum moderator Ricky T has this thread on a Milt Sparks variation of the 55BN that is designed for guns with an RMR.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I’d say to stick with leather - and would not hesitate to get an EB holster - as stated above.
Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The light rail will make a difference, as will the RMR. While most folks make a holster for a 5" 1911, or Government Model, the rail and RMR may limit your options, though more are becoming available for those two options.

Here are IWB and OWB holster picture threads to give you some ideas of what folks are using.

IWB Holster Picture thread The offical IWB holster pic thread

OWB Holster Picture thread OWB Holster Pic Thread
Thank you for the detailed reply!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Milt Sparks holsters are excellent but you have a long wait. Since you are waiting for your pistol order the holster now. I doubt you will be disappointed with a Milt Sparks product.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Milt Sparks holsters are excellent but you have a long wait. Since you are waiting for your pistol order the holster now. I doubt you will be disappointed with a Milt Sparks product.
I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks bud.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
wright leather makes holsters at several price points. i have more of their products than any other single brand, not sure why, and i have a LOT of different brands. i have several totes full of holsters that are good, but not in use. grips can be that way also. the above holster threads have some beautiful work pictured. best, james

·
Registered
394 Posts
That may be true of some models but i ordered a Summer Special 2 yesterday and it was shipped today. They had a number in stock, at least the SS2’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nod

·
Registered
600 Posts
From the Sparks web site: Our current back log is running up to 24 weeks. If I am going to wait over four months for a pistol I will wait for a holster. I wear my MS belt carrying pretty much daily for a few years now. Due to the fact I am old and not in great health I use ttgunleather and Mitch Rosen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I Have a Ross Leather Holster from South Africa (Bought on Ebay) for my Officer size. Suede lined, Reinforced Leather Paddle Holster. It is Like a "Wet Dream" for my Custom Officer.

·
Registered
EB Kobra Carry, WC Protector, Colt Combat Elite, T Series BHP, and a Walther PPK to name a few faves
177 Posts
Hello everyone! I’ve recently purchased a custom government model from Ed Brown. Turn around is 9 months from now. I’m going to need a holster. Who’s everyone’s go to holster? I like having options and different holsters for different occasion. I have a few for my Glock, but they are cheaply made and I would prefer a higher quality holster from my 1911.
Edit: forgot to mention, my 1911 will have a light rail and an RMR on it.
Can NOT recommend Tucker too highly. They are, hands down, the BEST holsters I've ever owned. And great people to do business with. Their Texas Short Stroke looks like it would punch all your buttons.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts