1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Alessi CQC/s holster came in yesterday and I placed my handgun in a plastic bag and holstered it overnight amd kept it in it all day today. I am able to draw fairly easy when the holster is not on my belt but when the holster is attached to my belt, it seems to tighten the fit and makes drawing my gun damn near impossible. This is the first leather OWB holster that I've owned so I'm not sure if it needs more breaking in. My SS2 broke in very easily.Any ssuggestions would be welcomed.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Reddevil, Try wearing the holster and gun around the house for a couple days to allow the holster to loosen up while attached to the belt. If that doesn't work, E-mail me at [email protected]
We'll take care of it .
Thanks for your patronage.
Lou

·
Registered
664 Posts
Reddevil-

The CQC-S I got for my Glock 20 was also very tight. I didn't do the bag trick, just wore it around the house and drew repeatedly for a couple of days. Now it is tight enough to retain the gun very well, but I can clear leather with a good yank, which is perfect for me. Try doing a bunch of practice draws to help break it in while it's on your belt, as the holster does grab the gun differently when it's on. In my experience the IWB holsters from Sparks break in much quicker than any belt holster, so don't be discouraged if it takes a bunch of drawing to loosen up that CQC. If you're still not happy, Lou will make it right, be certain of that.

Hey Lou, didja get my order for the other CQC-S's? :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's at the point now that I have to tug it to draw but my pants get tugged up too. I'm used to holsters that allow a very smooth draw. This is my first leather OWB holster so I'm not sure if this is how they're supposed to be?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've been there with tight new leather. Keep doing what you're doing and it will turn out perfect.

·
Super Moderator
13,665 Posts
I see that this holster is for sale?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Lou makes his holsters tight and right.

Break 'em in right, and they'll last nearly forever.
If the "plastic bag" method doesn't do the trick right away, use TWO plastic bags, or try wax paper. (Wrap the gun in several layers, force it into the holster, wear it around.)

I have many holsters (dozens, for different guns) from Lou, and if you break them in right, you'll find that they work, don't stretch out or get loose over time, and retain the gun perfectly, balance just right, and release the weapon properly.

OTOH, if you want a holster that lets the gun be instantly easily withdrawn without any breaking-in, either get Kydex (not for a 1911, c'mon!) or some other leather, BUT, in my experience (over a period of some twenty years), that "other" leather holster will be stretched out after awhile, and Lou's will still be working fine.

Too many people nowadays expect instant gratification, I think. Take the trouble to break in your Alessi holster correctly, it'll be worth it, it isn't that hard and it doesn't take that long!
Best.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The holster appears to be broken in now. It releases perfectly when it's not on my belt. It requires a good snap to release it when worn on my belt that is similar to the force required when drawing from a Fobus holster. I'd just like to know from those that own the CQC/s holsters if they get a smooth draw after the holster is broken in or if it's supposed to require a snappy tug to draw it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Snappy tug, which means much better retention than one where the gun just slides out.

FWIW, I had a Sparks 55BN for a Beretta Brigadier that was much harder to break in than my CQC-S.

·
Registered
624 Posts
WHEW! :D
I was getting worried that Reddevil was going to be suffering from a very serious weggie with that tight holster...
I'm glad you got it working.
Remember, when drawing from that holster keep your elbow close to the body. If you draw the gun while moving your arm outward from the body, the gun will lock into the holster. The reinforcing pad that is stitched on the front of the holster prevents the gun from being ripped away in a snatch attempt.
The gun will only come free by drawing in the above manner.
The holster I wear every day with a Colt Officers ACP is about 4 years old now, and is still snug.

Thanks again for all the comments, and advice to Reddevil..
Lou

·
Registered
893 Posts
Lou Alessi said:

The gun will only come free by drawing in the above manner.
I just tested this with the CQC-S and SA Pro on my hip and, sure enough, Lou is absolutely right. A correctly executed presentation releases the pistol from a CQC-S like a knife out of hot butter. Chicken winging the draw locks the pistol in. I never noticed that before, I have always had a smooth draw from this holster pretty much from the first day, so I guess I do not chicken wing my draw...

I never realized that this was a deliberate design feature of the holster- I figured the reinforcement was simply to allow for easier reholstering.

You learn new things every day. Thanks Lou !

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Lou has lots of little built-in but unsung features like this in his leather gear.

Another one is moulding at the bottom of mag pouches to keep the top round from sliding forward, so that when you reload, the top round is properly seated and won't hang up or catch.
Little touches like this show attention to detail!

Best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts