1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to use the Safariland SLS holsters with a .40? Their catalog specifically lists a SLS 9 and I believe that's due to the fatter slide of the .40

I was lucky enough to happen upon a .40 with a 1995 serial number that had been sitting unfired in a gent's safe and it will become my primary carry after a few hundred more rounds of Ranger T to prove reliability.

I certainly enjoy the wealth of knowledge here in the Hi Power section and wish you all the best for a Happy Holiday season!

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Other people may disagree, but I have never had a problem using a HP 40 in a Hi Power holster meant for a HP 9.
Holsters are a little tight when new anyway and a day or two in a holster will adapt them to fit all on their own.

This experience does not extend to Kydex holsters. I would never put a Hi Power in a Kydex holster for any reason.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
A duty style or drop leg sls from Safariland will probably be the exception to Mr. Burg's experience with leather. The safarilaminate construction prevents the stretch factor Mr. Burgs has found in all leather.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
In my experience

A duty style or drop leg sls from Safariland will probably be the exception to Mr. Burg's experience with leather. The safarilaminate construction prevents the stretch factor Mr. Burgs has found in all leather.
A 9mm and a 40 both fit well in my Bladetech and Fobus holsters, both laminates

·
Registered
415 Posts
Other people may disagree, but I have never had a problem using a HP 40 in a Hi Power holster meant for a HP 9.
Holsters are a little tight when new anyway and a day or two in a holster will adapt them to fit all on their own.

This experience does not extend to Kydex holsters. I would never put a Hi Power in a Kydex holster for any reason.
My .40 still won't draw easily from my Sparks 55BN despite leaving it in there in plastic for days at at time. However the Ritchie CQQD has no problems with the .40

I think it all depends on the maker

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
That may be so, rocks but I have a nine mil Bhp safariland laminate right here and a 40 does not stand a chance. Even if you could get it all the way, the strap would never close. In a h and k 2000 Safariland a usp compact is a no go if that is a valid comparison between the two hi powers. The safarilaminate is a synthetic leather like stuff on the outside, plastic in the middle and then another layer of the fake leather. Rigid is an understatement with this stuff. I think that blade tech and fobus stuff is all plastic open top stuff but I could be wrong. They have to have two sizes in safarilaminate for colt and sig 1911s just due to the slide difference.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
That may be so, rocks but I have a nine mil Bhp safariland laminate right here and a 40 does not stand a chance.
I forgot to mention the KY Jelly part...

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
I had some keepers made of the stuff that lasted about ten years. They finally cracked on the creases but never stretched. You just did not get that kind of life from leather keepers. KY jelley? I have heard of that but a cqqb or something acronym holster. What is that Mr. Burgs?:scratch:

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Prolly just a typo C, I'd imagine Mr. Burgs meant "CQQR"...Close Quarter Quick Release By Ritchie Leather...
All I know is it appears FN fan started us down a very slippery slope with his question about Safariland ALS made for a 9 and his forty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All I know is it appears FN fan started us down a very slippery slope with his question about Safariland ALS made for a 9 and his forty.
Indeed! Soon it will be "Lions and tigers and bears, Oh My!"

Sadly they don't catalog an ALS for the HiPower. I believe I'll order the SLS 9 and if it doesn't fit... why then I'll have to get a 9mm as well :D

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Feel like a first time snowboarder on a Black Double Diamond slope each time the subject of plastic is broached…and here it stops ;):

Truth be told…this must be what an AA meeting feels like :eek:, when it comes to holsters, I've been an omnivore for decades...practicality for the intended purpose, security appropriate to that purpose, pistol/belt fit and of course QUALITY...always, and if it looks good mo' better ;):D:cool:.

Now that the world knows :hrm:…and I’ll be disowned by my brethren here:

Good attitude there FNFAN, get 'em both…regardless.

Oh, on a side note: I think I threw-up a little at the mention of KY in a holster thread :eek:.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
That may be so, rocks but I have a nine mil Bhp safariland laminate right here and a 40 does not stand a chance. Even if you could get it all the way, the strap would never close. In a h and k 2000 Safariland a usp compact is a no go if that is a valid comparison between the two hi powers. The safarilaminate is a synthetic leather like stuff on the outside, plastic in the middle and then another layer of the fake leather. Rigid is an understatement with this stuff. I think that blade tech and fobus stuff is all plastic open top stuff but I could be wrong. They have to have two sizes in safarilaminate for colt and sig 1911s just due to the slide difference.
Chuntaro: You are correct.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Here are just a few suggestions for modes of carry that may be better for a Hi Power than Kydex.
In no particular order they are:

Attachments

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Good attitude there FNFAN, get 'em both…regardless.

Oh, on a side note: I think I threw-up a little at the mention of KY in a holster thread :eek:.
I was fortunate to be blessed with an iron stomach. It was, however, kind of an irresponsible and capricious toss at the time, the reference to that lubrication.
:hrm: I was willing to overlook that comment until two scenes from Newark and one scene from Kentucky were posted.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I was fortunate to be blessed with an iron stomach. It was, however, kind of an irresponsible and capricious toss at the time, the reference to that lubrication.
:hrm: I was willing to overlook that comment until two scenes from Newark and one scene from Kentucky were posted.
I thought the scenes were Newark, Newark and Monmouth Park ;)...it's in the neighborhood ;):D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Burgs.....I've been thinking about a horse hide holster.... Do they make them any more compact than the one in the picture???

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
MPmax,

Why, yes. Yes they do. That's the self propelled version. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts