1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my research of Kydex holsters, I have concluded that Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac seem to be the only manufacturers that make a paddle holster specific to the BHP. That said, most seem to give the edge to Comp-Tac. These two manufacturers aside, I would also like to know which size offering from Uncle Mike’s will fit the BHP as they don’t specify the BHP like the others do. If they do have one that fits, is it adjustable to the FBI forward cant? Lastly, I am open to BHP specific leather paddle holsters as well, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'd pass on an Uncle Mikes holster; cheap, made in China... Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac are American companies that make a quality product, made in the USA, and at a good price. Don't know about Blade-Tech, but Comp-Tac can get your holster to you in about 2 weeks. That's lightning fast in the holster business.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In my research of Kydex holsters, I have concluded that Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac seem to be the only manufacturers that make a paddle holster specific to the BHP. That said, most seem to give the edge to Comp-Tac. These two manufacturers aside, I would also like to know which size offering from Uncle Mike’s will fit the BHP as they don’t specify the BHP like the others do. If they do have one that fits, is it adjustable to the FBI forward cant? Lastly, I am open to BHP specific leather paddle holsters as well, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your help!
I'd pass on an Uncle Mikes holster; cheap, made in China... Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac are American companies that make a quality product, made in the USA, and at a good price. Don't know about Blade-Tech, but Comp-Tac can get your holster to you in about 2 weeks. That's lightning fast in the holster business.
Agree completely with nwhpfan - don't buy a generic holster ("...fits most :)barf:) full size semi-autos..."). Buy a holster made specifically for whatever handgun you choose to carry.

I've had this IWB holster from Andrew's Leather for going onto four years. Wet leather is forced over a solid 9mm (not a .40 S&W BHP but a 9mm, they use a different template for the .40) HP aluminum template. It is comfortable, reliable, safe and secure - and I ALWAYS carry cocked and locked with the safety on - whether I'm running daily errands or climbing over blow downs etc. when bird hunting in Michigan. Spend the extra $$$ and be patient for delivery - in the long run you won't regret it.

Hoppe's no.10

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I've had this IWB holster from Andrew's Leather for going onto four years. ...Spend the extra $$$ and be patient for delivery - in the long run you won't regret it.
I concur. I got a Bianchi holster for my BHP in 1982 and it is still perfect. I have cheapies and they are in a landfill now. You really get what you pay for. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Hoppe's #10, forgive my ignorance, but when wearing a holster like yours (thanks for the pics!), does one need to wear pants with a larger than normal waist size? It just doesn't look comfortable to me, but I have never actually tried an inside the waist holster. Lastly, will a quality Kydex holster wear the finish more than a leather holster on the typical MKIII enamel type finish?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Hoppe's #10, forgive my ignorance, but when wearing a holster like yours (thanks for the pics!), does one need to wear pants with a larger than normal waist size? It just doesn't look comfortable to me, but I have never actually tried an inside the waist holster. Lastly, will a quality Kydex holster wear the finish more than a leather holster on the typical MKIII enamel type finish?
No, I wear this holster with jeans and shorts that are my regular waist size. Like I posted I always carry my HP when bird hunting in northern Michigan - climbing over blow downs, gingerly crossing logs over streams, pushing through alder and willow swamps etc. and I find it to be so comfortable that I often forget I'm wearing it - figuratively speaking of course. All of the above goes for when I'm driving and wearing it. I've always felt that the secret to comfortable carry - especially concealed carry - is not the size or type of handgun (pistol or revolver) but rather the holster and a wide belt 1 1/2". Can't answer your second question - I've always had leather holsters but I'm sure others on this forum can help you.

Hope this helps.

Hoppe's no.10

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not to argue at with the above posts regarding a good quility holster, but, I have found that my HP fits perfectly in my 1911 holsters. They are a glove fit.
Best wishes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not to argue at with the above posts regarding a good quility holster, but, I have found that my HP fits perfectly in my 1911 holsters. They are a glove fit.
Best wishes.
What type of 1911 holster do you have? I also am looking for one for my hp. Thanks.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Revillie: My HP fits my Milt Sparks VMII, as well as an old Wilson outside carry holster. I also have a Del Fatti that it works well in.
If you are going to order one, you can just confirm with the dealer of builder.
Best wishes.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I have an early Dillon Leather BHP holster (1992'ish vintage) that I like. Now Dillon is in alliance with Mitch Rosen, you may want to check that out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I share Golfer's experience above. My .40 HP fits perfectly in every m1911 holster I have, including my comp-tac kydex. Most off the shelf Galco/Desantis type holsters you buy for your HP are also m1911 holsters.

Kydex are slick, hold the weapon securely and draw real nice, but you will get a lot more wear.

As for IWB, at 5'10" and 170, I'm just too light to stick a full size steel gun down my pants. It feels like hanging a boat anchor on your trousers. The only guns I can comfortably carry IWB are my Kahr P9 and Ruger LCP. I love 1911's and HP's, but comfort-wise, for all day (in and out of the car...in and out of your office chair, etc etc) carry, they dont do it for me.

Remember, just as important as your holster is your gun-belt. Invest in a real gun belt that has been properly reinforced/stiffened.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use the Comp-Tac paddle for IDPA competition and casual concealment.

I use the SW Special from LittleBear holsters for my EDC rig. This one is horsehide in saddle tan with black elephant reinforced mouth and loops. Most comfortable holster I've ever had.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
seconds on using a 1911 holster for the bhp-they fit just fine and there are many to choose from. Even a commander size holster will work.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
When paddles hit the market I was thinking great because of the easy on easy off aspect. My experience with a really well made one was somewhat dissappointing. I prefer Mexican carry to paddles. For holsters I prefer leather with a serious belt.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Bypass all the plastic holsters, stick with leather. Much more comfortable and all around a better bang for your buck. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Leather's it

Selling my MkIII, and used an Andy Arratoonian (Holsters) Summer Special, or rather, not to insult Tony at Sparks, a 62L, suede out. PM if you decide on a leather IWB that works with a Browning.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I have leather currently. I am looking for an iwb for carry. Im thinking about kydex due to the perspiration factor I am dealing with in So Fla. I think that Tucker may fit the bill.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts