1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I wait for my Kimber Ultra CDP, I have been looking into OWB holsters. I am a large man 6'3", 250 and find IWB just too darn uncomfortable. In colder weather, I usually wear a tee-shirt with an untucked jean shirt over that... I find it easy to hide most guns.

I carry my S&W 908 in a SOB made by K-Holsters and slightly off center. This feels just fine but can print with lighter wear.

With my new 1911, I want to carry strong side OWB.

I've looked at the Kramer belt scabbard and Rusty Sherricks Tom Givens (a fellow PA guy).

I'm looking for any additional holsters I can look into. I will need something I can order and get pretty quickly since my gun will be in any day. I don't mind waiting for a nicer one later but would like to be ready.

I also want to know how any of you carry in the warmer months. Shorts with no belt and an untucked tee-shirt? I have an active body holter for my S&W that works great but it is highly UNrecommended for the 1911 due to the grip safety.

Thanks

·
Registered
941 Posts
GO to the Wilson Combat site and look at their Belt Slide unit...Fits between the belt and trousers and is very comfortable and simple to use...I'm kinda big myself and have been using this unit for about two years and am very pleased with it...Hope this helps....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CJ...

With those type holsters, do you need to buy a larger size belt?
What is the benefit of having the holster between the belt and pants as opposed to just on the belt (OWB)?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Packing Patriot -

My vote goes to Rafter S Holsters. For OWB holsters, where can you get a good quality, shark skin holster for $59.00 or quality cowhide for $49.00. You can't beat their craftsmanship or price. I will be a customer for life.

Check them out at www.raftersholsters.com

MadDog

·
Registered
941 Posts
PP...A good belt is just as important as the holster...The width is not as important as the thickness and stiffness of the belt...Most people go with a 1.5 width as do I, although I also use a 1.25 width with dress pants...Although I have a good IWB holster I have never foud them especially comfortable...The belt slide is a minimalist holster...very light...Worn between the belt and trousers it gives you a high tight carry with a bit less bulge than OWB holsters...Maddog has a valid point also...a good OWB design also conceals very well...Each to his own....

·
Registered
285 Posts
HEY , We also offer an IWB but its not on the website . Its similar to the Wilson Summer Companion but has differant Strap locations . I wear one and I am a Fat Guy too .

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Leathercrafter
Rafter S Gunleather 417-277-5636
www.raftersgunleather.com

·
Registered
474 Posts
Packing Patriot,
I second the recommendation for Rafter S Gunleather. I have an on the belt holster made by them and it is the most comfortable holster I own.

As to your second question, not sure if you were asking about the size or width of the belt. I like the 1.5 inch width. It is very comfortable and keeps the pistol a little closer to your body (no sag). As for length, simply order a belt 2 sizes larger than your pant size (i.e. if you wear waist size 36 jeans, order a 38 inch belt. Hope this helps. By the way, you can reach Rafter S by phone at 1-417-277-5636.

------------------

G

·
There are many makers out there offering fine detailed holsters. Each has it's own attributes. All are top of the line on quality, detail and function.

Give a look at Alessi, Sparks or my products. I bet you can find something you like.

Alessi = http://www.rfholsters.com
Sparks = http://www.miltsparks.com/

------------------
Waldon Holster Co.
Custom Crafted Perfection

Quality Holsters at an Affordable Price
[email protected]
www.waldonholsters.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts