1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been talked about a lot, and I've read through many threads discussing the many available holsters.

I am looking for a good holster to use for concealed carry (first holster). I have two 1911s: a Colt Govt. and a Colt Combat Commander (first guns). Right now, I intend to carry the commander, but ideally, I would want a holster that could properly hold either.

A few that I am considering:
Andrews Custom Leather MacDaniel II
Milt Sparks Versa Max 2
Lou Alessi CQC/S
Lou Alessi PCH

Does anyone have any comments on these or other suggestions; I'd be glad to hear them?

Also, I just moved to WA and applied for my concealed carry liscense. It should take about 2 months, so wait times aren't a big issue for me.

· Registered
853 Posts
Entropy, if you live anywhere near the major cities in WA state, especially on the western side, you had better consider a highly concealable holster.

There are so many holsters, but I would consider a VM-2 for your Commander and then a SS-2 for your 5" model.

Or you can cheat and buy the VM-2 or SS-2 for your 5" and just carry the commander in the same holster.

If you have to have a belt holster, you certainly cannot go wrong with the CQC/S. It's definitely the best OWB holster that I know of (it's quick on/off is VERY convenient for CCW.) It's super comfortable as well.

PS. You can buy those holsters you've listed from Lightning Arms Sports and have them in about 3 days. ;)

-Nick

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Bellevue, a suburb of Seattle. I'm curious as to why you say that I had "better consider a highly concealeable holster" living in this area. I just moved here last week from Dallas.

Thanks for the suggestion about getting a holster for the Govt to fit both.

· Registered
853 Posts
Actually, it works a little different up here. It seems that the closer you are to the city, the worse people get. Unfortunately, since this area is growing at a exponential rate, the distance from the city keeps getting larger and larger.

Of course, these 'types' are willing to uphold their 1st amendment rights, but they blast those of us who choose to uphold our 2nd amendment rights. :rolleyes:

Not everyone of course -- but the majority -- at least in my opinion.

· Registered
738 Posts
Sorry, that was addressed to Nick, and was focused on outside the belt choices. In my case, I won't be carrying in public, I am looking for a good looking, good functioning holster for falling plate matches, with a full size 1911. don't care for the Kydex ones I see the other people using, but then I won't be going to optical sights either.
Ed

· Registered
853 Posts
Ed, you can't go wrong with the CQC/S from Alessi. The quick-remove feature is just a nice touch for me. From Sparks, you'd probably be more interested in the 55BN - which is a straight drop OWB holster. Galco makes a copy of this model (called the Avenger.)

Here's the Sparks 55BN:

OR

If wait time isn't an issue, I'd highly consider Josh Bulman's SBS-2. It has a flap on the inside to protect the body (and safety) but you can order it without if you want. I nearly ordered one of these personally, but a buddy side-swiped me with a trade I couldn't pass up for a similar holster.

Here's the SBS-2:

There are so many choices to choose from... it just depends on how much of a hurry you're in and how much $$$ you can spend! :)

· Registered
108 Posts
Having used Milt Sparks VM2 IWB, a Don Hume IWB, a Galco OWB and a custom belt slide OWB for my 1911......the VM2 is the most comfortable and the most stable holster of the lot.

I also use a Milt Sparks SS2 for my plastic backup pistol. It is hard to beat as well.

· Registered
82 Posts
If wait time isn't a real issue, I would also recommend one of HBE Leatherworks' COM 3 holsters. It is very similar to the Sparks VMII but you can specify your ride height, cant, color, trim, and whether or not you want it tuckable. I really like mine. It's also a little less expensive than the Sparks but of equal quality.

· Registered
2,484 Posts
I carried a G23 in an Andrews MacDaniel-II for a few years. It was very well made and was quite secure. However, the single loop design allowed the gun to move around on the belt a little more than I liked. Andrews is a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with and he makes very high-quality gear.

Now I carry a Les Baer Stinger in a Milt Sparks VM-II. It is a much more stable holster and the wider design conceals just as easily but is far more comfortable, IMO. Qulaity-wise, it is the finest holster I have ever owned. That's no slam to Andrews work, it's just very high praise to Milt Sparks gear.

· Registered
757 Posts
...for IWB, nothing compares to the Alessi PCH. For OWB, the CQC-S is the most versatile and comfortable holster I've ever tried. I own almost 2 dozen pieces from Lou Alessi and another 10 or so from both Josh Bulman and Sparks - so I don't think you can go wrong with those makers. As a rule, I own a PCH and CQC-S for nearly every gun I own.

...the pics are of a PCH, a Bulman PDL (Professional Dual Loop) - which is similar to and IMO, more comfortable than the Sparks VMII, and a VMII. Good luck.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.