1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I asked about what people thought about riding and carrying. I asked a lot of people both on the board, people that ride, the instructor of my CCW class, a friend of my dad's that was a police motor unit for years and a good buddy that is also a retired motor unit.

Here is what I think is best and what I want for an OWB holster for riding with my Kimber Pro Carry:

1. Black leather, nothing necessarily fancy due to possible road damage from rocks, bugs and other nasties encountered on long rides.

2. Full coverage to protect from road hazards (see above) if it becomes unconcealed (which is legal in AZ so no need for that debate) or too hot to conceal.

3. Thumb breaks. I know people say they aren't needed, but I have had the vibration of my bike do weird things to how things were packed on long rides. Wouldn't want it be on a long straight away for hours to then take a nice lean and see my Kimber tumbling down the road behind me.

4. Would really like snaps in case we end up stopping in some area to eat where they serve alcohol and thereby prohibiting me from carrying on their establishment. I figure snaps are easier to remove and draw less attention while removing it.

Any suggestions? I saw a nice Ross leather one that met 3 of the 4 requirements. It was just a belt slide instead of snaps.

· Registered
993 Posts
How are you going to conceal an OWB holster on a bike in Arizona ? Your holster scabbard or muzzle will be below the beltline . Will your jacket or vest ride that low, cover the gun and not ride up ? Does it matter if you ride along with your gun showing ? Here in Michigan that's a violation .

I've grappled with this issue myself and found it somewhat difficult to conceal an IWB holster much less an OWB . I've reverted to pants pocket carry and jacket pocket , but as far as belt carry goes , IWB is far more concealed than OWB. What is your plan in hot weather ? What is the riding temp range in Az where you live ? Just a few questions...Tom

P.S. I apologise . I see that concealment is not an issue . I need to learn to read more carefully.

· Administrator
17,797 Posts
Email Tony Kanely at Milt Sparks and see if he would do you a custom order (i.e. adding a thumbbreak)on one of his IQMs...that would fit your bill perfectly.

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've talked to several people on and off board more. Seems like a lot say the newer, higher quality leather like Bulman, Sparks, Alessi, are snug enough to keep it secured on the bike without a thumb strap.

Is that the general conscensus of you folks?

Also, I have never really cared for IWB holsters. I feel in the AZ heat, which 100 days out of the year it is over 100, it would get too hot against my skin and uncomfortable VERY quickly. As I said, open carry is not an issue. I ride a Harley Fat Boy so I sit in a basically upright position, so leaning forward is not an issue.

Basically the question is to you riders and others with more experience than me is would you trust an IWB holster without a thumb strap on a motorcycle ride of say 200 miles?

I love my Bulman QRH. I was thinking of getting a QRDS for the Pro Carry if I went OWB.

· Registered
751 Posts
If you ride in a car and the gun falls out of the holster it's still in the car . . . on a bike it becomes scenery art!!!! Most holsters today are pretty good at retention but if it was me I'd either use a thumb strap or a full cover flap to protect and secure my pistol. **** happens and you don't want to drop a $700.00 plus gun. Speaking of . . . you didn't say what model you carry (sm/lg)? There is another option and thats a Coronado Vest that you can put your pistol inside the inner pocket to secure it and you can also just get off the bike and go in any establishment you want without anyone knowing the difference. Doesn't cost anymore then a good holster and belt and you can wear it winter or summer in Az.

RC

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a Kimber Pro Carry SLE.

I am thinking that same thing as you. While I am confident and my holster without the thumbstrap for my Warrior on a regular day, every biker knows, weird stuff can happen on bikes.

I have thought about a Coronado vest as well. But I'm looking for a holster I can use for my Pro Carry both on and off the bike. I would prefer a non-thumbstrap model for off the bike. I don't mind buying 2 holsters actually, its my wife that does...

· Administrator
17,797 Posts
For what its worth to you, I too ride a Fatboy. I've never had an issue with a good OWB or IWB with or without a thumb break if it was good quality leather... But Alessi/Heine makes a good thumb break retention holster called a DOJ.

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have considered a shoulder rig, however most of the time in the summer, I'm usually only wearing a t-shirt. I would guess the wind would get it slapping against my pretty good. Plus I have spoken to a few guys that say its a bad idea as ribs are so fragile that if I fell it would definately break more bones. Plus if it isn't drop-safe, I could plug the person behind me if I went down.

· Registered
13 Posts
unforgiven5150 said:
Basically the question is to you riders and others with more experience than me is would you trust an IWB holster without a thumb strap on a motorcycle ride of say 200 miles?
I have a IWB Uncle Mike's for my Small Frame Revolver and it allows the gun to creep up, so I won't ride with it. I live in Colorado where open carry isn't an issue except in Denver...that's another story, but with an Uncle Mike's Kydex paddle OWB, I have no problems covering the revolver with just a t-shirt. I have a Bianci Paddle for a full frame 5" auto that I carry my S&W Sigma in and with a flannel shirt have no problems concealing. My leather jacket also covers it completely. In the summer however, I'll have to get an oversized denim shirt or something to cover it up with.

· Banned
4,085 Posts
I put about 12,000 miles a year on my RoadKing and LowRider. Never felt a 1911 would comfortably work for me, considering the fit of my FirstGear leather riding jacket (which fits pretty much snug all around). So my choice is to pack a Kahr PM-9 or S&W 642 slipped into the jacket pocket. I never even know the gun is there because the size and weight are so convenient. If I felt I would be going into a gunfight, sure, I'd prefer a Commander or Government 1911, but the carry options with those guns -for me- on the bike are just too burdensome relative to my perceived need. The smaller guns are relatively potent, extremely easy to never-be-without, and convenient. On a long trip, I might consider packing a Beretta PX4 pistol (loaded with 18 rounds of 9mm 147 gr. Golden Sabers) in a saddle bag. Just my 2 cents worth...

· Administrator
17,797 Posts
Nice RK pic DHart...I'm not a big RK guy prefering the more traditional Softail line, but you made it look pretty darned nice.

· Banned
4,085 Posts
Thanks LW.... I like the looks of some of the Softails, especially some of the customs with the fat rear tires! And the Softails sure are popular. But when it comes to engines, I'm a rubber mount fan all the way... they just love to wind out the revs and purr for hours at high speeds/revs. They seem to always be eager to take on even higher revs. I guess that's why Harley typically uses those engines in their touring bikes. I put a big bore kit in each of my bikes (LR and RKC) and the power is wonderful. But I wouldn't mind adding a fat rear tire custom Softail to the stable someday, they're gorgeous!

Here's my LowRider, which feels -and sounds- like quite a hot rod with the big bore kit and V&H Big Shots pipes:

· Registered
21 Posts
Here in Texas if you carry it must be concealed. During the cooler months IWB with riding jacket works well for me.. I ride a Heritage Softtail with a windshield, I purchased a windshield bag to carry eye protection gloves etc. but when making a trip it is a perfect place for my 380. Bursa Thunder with 2 extra mags. just a thought for you.. Ride safe, shoot straight..

Good looking bikes Dhart, mind if I PM you with some questions about your BB kit? Chuck

· Registered
4,284 Posts
Fwiw

I carry either a Govt model or a CCO mode 1911 in a Sparks VMII or an Alessi PCH.

I ride horses and ATV's on the ranch and a road bike on the highway.

I have never had any worry about losing the gun even when bouncing through sagebrush and rocks on the horse or ATV.

I feel much more secure with an IWB than I do with an OWB.. Even the best OWB will bounce and wobble in the rough going, but the IWB is locked down inside your pants and belt.

I even lost a territorial dispute with a 1200 pound cow about who was going through the gate and who wasn't.. I wound up in a "mud" hole on my butt, but the gun didn't budge.

· Banned
4,085 Posts
As far as IWB holsters are concerned, if you don't have fit conflicts with your motorcycle jacket, the VMII is probably as good as it gets!

Chuck... sure... what do you want to know? Basic 95" Big Bore kit (cylinders, pistols, air kit), stayed with stock cams, about $1200 or so installed, as I recall. Done by the dealer. Warranty intact. Noteworthy bump in low end torque and power. Well worth the bucks, in my view. Change in pipes contributes significantly, as well.. Went with Vance & Hines Dual Ovals on the RK Custom and V&H BigShots on the LowRider. I selected then ovals on the RK to get a good sound and power, but keep the volume moderate for long rides. On the LR, I went with the BigShots which give awesome power and they rumble like the best Harley you've ever heard. The 95" kit and BigShots make the LR a real hot rod! Too loud for all day riding, though.

· Registered
2,037 Posts
Nice bikes, D Hart!

I'm planning on picking up a RoadKing either later this Winter or early Spring. My better half doesn't care much for riding on the back of my current ride.

This is me, old yellar and the Milt Sparks crew taken at our Christmas party a couple weeks ago....

As you can see, I sit pretty much upright on the bike and have no problem with a belt mounted holster printing through my jacket. Since my riding jackets are all short, IWB is the only way to go (no thumbreak). Mostly though, I'll just utilize the gun pocket on my jacket. Much more comfortable riding that way.

· Banned
4,085 Posts
Tony... gorgeous Springer you have there! If that's the bike you wife declines to ride on, can't say as I blame her. ;) Great boulevard cruiser for one though! I think you'll love the King... pretty much everybody who gets one does. I hardly ride my LowRider anymore except for the short thrill jaunts... for everything else, the King is just so nice and practical. Best thing I ever did to the King was get H-D's Sundowner seat and Mustang's rider backrest... gives the most comfortable back support imaginable... I can ride comfortably all day long for days on end with the seat/backrest combo I have. I have a windshield, but never use it because I don't like them. With a full face helmet and the rider backrest... I can ride without a windshield without having to fight bugs or wind pressure... just settle back into the backrest without the need to use the handle bars to fight the wind pressure at high speeds... makes riding on the freeway without a windshield delightful.

I agree on packing a smaller pistol in the pocket when riding... much more comfortable than holstering.

Ride safe and thanks for the great holsters!

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,396 Posts
My husband/wife cycling friends have Langlitz (sp?) jackets, which include "gun pockets" in the left breast area. Their jackets look like they could easily hold something Officers ACP-size, and the pocket could probably be made to accommodate anything within reason. Do you need an excuse to get a new jacket? :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.