1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all.

I am looking for a holster suggestion / source.

Gun - 1911 4.25" barrel no rail (specifically, Dan Wesson Guardian or Valor).

Specifically:
  • Paddle holster.
  • Designed for or easily adjustable to crossdraw (I'm right handed, so I'll wear it at 10:30 ish)
  • Back of the holster high enough against the body to prevent the safety / rear of the slide contacting my belly
  • Leather holster.
  • Leather paddle, retained by a "ridge" and not "hook(s)" and wide enough to stabilize the rig - so it's easy to don and remove
  • Hold the firearm low enough that the center of gravity is as low as possible - preferably the lower edge of the belt

I've been looking and cannot find anything that meets those needs - closest I can see now is some imported eBay item that I'd rather stay away from. Decades ago, I had one that was close - maybe a Ken Null? - the paddle was rough-out leather and the retainer was a ridge of thick leather sewn horizontally on the paddle....but it's long gone (and was maybe for a Hi Power anyway).

Ideas? Suggestions? Any custom makers want to work with me on designing and making one?

THANKS in advance.

Neil

· Registered
14,276 Posts
Leather paddle holsters are relatively rare, and I'm not sure any of them cover all your needs. I'll list the leather paddle holsters I'm aware of and let you decide if they meet your needs.

Kramer Paddle Gun Holsters

High Noon Leather Paddle Holsters - High Noon Holsters

Ted Blocker TRP (Tri-Paddle) Concealment Holster

Black Hills You searched for paddle - Black Hills Leather Store

Mernickle https://www.mernickleholsters.com/shop/search?keywords=paddle

Tucker Paddle Holster

Galco Product List

DeSantis DeSantis Holsters

· Registered
1,662 Posts
Personally, I don’t believe you will be pleased with a paddle holster (JMO). Paddle holsters tend to be a little sloppy on me. My recommendation would be a Milt Sparks Criterion with magnetic snaps for easy removal. You might find a gently used Criterion in the classifieds, but even if you order it - it’s well worth the wait. Best of luck!

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leather paddle holsters are relatively rare, and I'm not sure any of them cover all your needs. I'll list the leather paddle holsters I'm aware of and let you decide if they meet your needs.

Kramer Paddle Gun Holsters

High Noon Leather Paddle Holsters - High Noon Holsters

Ted Blocker TRP (Tri-Paddle) Concealment Holster

Black Hills You searched for paddle - Black Hills Leather Store

Mernickle https://www.mernickleholsters.com/shop/search?keywords=paddle

Tucker Paddle Holster

Galco Product List

DeSantis DeSantis Holsters
Thanks -

KRAMER - not crossdraw, BUT I could re-configure it since the paddle is held on with two screws. Apparently.

HIGH NOON - Thumb safety exposed.

TED BLOCKER - not a crossdraw.

BLACK HILLS - Thumb safety exposed.

MERNICKLE - Thumb safety exposed? Not crossdraw.

TUCKER - hmmmm - looks like it could be crossdraw configured.....maybe....

GALCO - I have one of those now. The angle adjustability i useful - the small plastic paddle does not stabilize well. Thumb safety exposed.

DESANTIS - Top Cop 2.0 is a strong maybe. BUT - not shown as offered for 4 1/4" bbl.

THANKS for the suggestions - I'd not seen a couple of those....

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I don’t believe you will be pleased with a paddle holster (JMO). Paddle holsters tend to be a little sloppy on me. My recommendation would be a Milt Sparks Criterion with magnetic snaps for easy removal. You might find a gently used Criterion in the classifieds, but even if you order it - it’s well worth the wait. Best of luck!
I normally carry in a standard belt-slot crossdraw, with dual mags offside. The paddle is to wear when I'm driving to someplace where I will need to remove and secure the firearm before I go in - like, work - but I may want to have the gun on me when I stop for gas or to get coffee. So the key attribute is crossdraw and easily removed or donned, without un-looping 3/4 of my belt.

Thanks

· Registered
14,276 Posts
While not a paddle holster, Andrews has a cross draw Saddle Style Andrews Custom Leather - Saddle Style Holsters

they also have an easy on/easy off version of the Saddle Style known as the Wrapid. It is only shown in their Exotic catalog, but folks on the forum have shown pictures of their's in cowhide.

Both the Wrapid and Saddle Style are available with sweat shields.

While I haven't seen a cross draw Wrapid, since it is essentially the same holster as the Saddle Style with just the easy on/easy off snaps, it may be worthwhile calling Andrews and asking. He could probably adjust the cant to whatever you want.

I've got to believe a snap on/snap off holster would be easier to put on and take off and more comfortable and secure than a paddle holster.

Edit to add: Andrews also shows a paddle holster in their Exotic catalog.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
51 Posts
Have you looked at Garrity's Gunleather?

I don't actually have any experience with his products, but I have been tempted to try out his adjustable paddle...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.