1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any input as to which lined leather holster might fit the Kimber Ultra Carry in the position I would like to try.
That would be IWB, but in the small of the back, starboard of the spine, slightly nearer the right hip, but with the butt facing to the right. Also would like a thumb-release strap (but not an absolute necessity) that would fit over the hammer in Condition One. Is a holster of this type *out-of-the-question*, or is this carry *not-a-good* idea, for any reason?

Don Quixote

[This message has been edited by Don Quixote (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
614 Posts
Holsters are such a personal thing. Some say that an SOB could injure the spine if one fell and landed on it. Could happen.

I have a Galco SOB for the Commander size 1911 that I have used a couple of times; I guess they're not for me...

My suggestion is to buy an inexpensive (cheap!) rendition of what you think you want and see how it stacks up. I have a couple of thousand bucks worth of leather and kydex that I don't use...

·
Registered
203 Posts
MAC 10 is right about the potential for spine injury and this is not a comfortable position when sitting for long periods.

That said, I've used it quite bit because I have some shoulder problems. Start with an inexpensive lefty holster with an FBI cant. This will cant it towards your right side with butt forward. If you like it you can go for something more expensive.

Also look at the GALCO MOB if they still make it. The MOB is IWB with a retaining strap and the right hand version (doesn't come in lefty) already has the butt forward. This holster is only made in full 1911 Government length but works well with my Stainless Ultra Carry as well as my Delta Elite.

Butt forward can be a very fast draw. Much faster than standard SOB for me.

Another caution. You will have more of a tendency to "sweep" your body with this butt forward SOB draw. Practice, practice, practice before you try this for real.

I suspect that this holster arrangement is not legal for IDPA competition due to where the muzzle points during the draw.

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword at his side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts