1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting. I purchased this 9mm Lightweight Defender in September 2020. Most of the time it's carried AIWB in a Black Arch protos, and sometimes I carry it about 3:30 in a Wright Leather Works predator. It only has 550 rounds through it.

It's not removed often from the holsters, except for when practicing a draw when it's unloaded.

It didn't take long for the holster to start wearing away the blue on the edges. The wear is still very light. It's mostly on the side of the pistol that rests against my body; makes sense, because that is the part of the gun the rubs against the leather when holstering. Most of the time I've carried a stainless gun, so I never really noticed holster wear.

Consider that most of the time I carry a j-frame, so this gun does not get nearly as much carry time as my j frame.

Any of your guns have some holster wear? Post a pic.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
No pictures, but it took less than 10 draws from my Raven Concealment Phantom, a little more than a decade ago, to remove two strips of bluing off my Colt. One on the left side of the top of the slide from just aft of the ejection port to about an inch short of the tip of the muzzle and the other on the right side of the ejection port about an inch long. There are more marks now, but I just don't notice them anymore.

I'll admit those first scratches on the slide from a kydex holster did bother me, but that gun has worn an "idiot scratch" from my first 1911 field strip for the past 30+ years. I got over it.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
The only avoidance of holster wear is to not holster it, or use hard chrome. maybe IonBond. Any other finish will wear if you holster it, be it leather or kydex.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I didn't read this as complaining about holster wear. The guns that I do or have carried all have holster wear. Down to bare metal. I keep a thin layer of grease on the ones that I'm not using. Cant post pics as I'm on the road for a few more days.
I like seeing worn finishes and holsters that look used. Walk the talk kinda thing I guess.

·
Registered
889 Posts
45 years of holster wear. My favorite ol' toter. When the going gets tough the Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel gets going: both for defensive carry and field use.

If you think the pistola looks bad you ought'a see the holster. The original holster I obtained after 35 years of outdoor field use: hunting, fishing, hiking, and doing chores out at our old family place on the lake. My brother-in-law took pity on me one Christmas and found a new old stock replacement. He said he got tired of seeing me carry the Model 10 afield in some imposter holster. This revolver has also worn out the original concealed carry holster.

·
Registered
266 Posts
45 years of holster wear. My favorite ol' toter. When the going gets tough the Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel gets going: both for defensive carry and field use.

If you think the pistola looks bad you ought'a see the holster. The original holster I obtained after 35 years of outdoor field use: hunting, fishing, hiking, and doing chores out at our old family place on the lake. My brother-in-law took pity on me one Christmas and found a new old stock replacement. He said he got tired of seeing me carry the Model 10 afield in some imposter holster. This revolver has also worn out the original concealed carry holster.
Your brother-in-law is a keeper.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yeah, he is. Good hunter, good shot, and he's dually afflicted. Likes the vintage stuff as I do, but also keeps an interest in current production guns so I get to try out the "lastest and greatest" without having to buy them.

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
It's a piece of wood I placed on it for the picture
Just playin' with ya.

Here are a couple of my friend "Markwell". One gun was built by Larry Vickers, it's almost in pristine condition.

A CCO sized blaster in an open bottom holster. The dirt or mud washed right off.

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
You must wear that osst? Outside swim suit :cool:
As I wrote In the post, the pictures were from my friend "Markwell". I have no idea how he kept his guns so clean.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I find that Kydex is the worst. The holsters I have that have the least holster wear are lined leather holsters. But even they will have holster wear over time. My carry guns that I use are SS or guns I don’t mind exhibiting holster wear on. Think of it as a badge of honor.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
News flash , leather is abrasive!

The best holsters have silicone treated suede linings , which is less abrasive than the rough-out leather used for holster outer shell. Respraying with a good food-grade silicone spray keeps 'em slick.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So we're clear, I, the OP, have no concerns about holster wear. In fact, I think it looks good on a pistol; it makes the pistol unique to you.

Focus on the pics! More pics! Keep them coming.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Here is a couple more. Even my grips are showing a lot of wear these days. I think this is my second holster. I have been using it for about 10 years. They hold up good. I saddle stitch the leather when I build them which makes them pretty durable.

20210505_065722.jpg
20210505_065613.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts