1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Administrator
80,927 Posts
ALWAYS keep your trigger finger pointed straight forward alongside the slide so that you don't put it in the triggerguard by mistake. That's especially critical if you have a Glock.

· Registered
3,453 Posts
Hmm well it is sorta hard to explain in writing... ;)

They way I have practiced is to grip the handle of the firearm with your finger trigger along the side of the frame, this is with your dominant hand...

With your other hand slide it across your stomach as you clear the pistol from the holster.. By the time the pistol is out of the holster and you are starting to straighten it out, the hand that was sliding across your stomach should meet the dominant hand for which ever type of grip you use...

The rest will depend on the situation and time available, but at that point you should be in a fluid motion to take your entire proper stance...

Not sure if any of that makes sense but if you try it, it should.... ;) :biglaugh:

For taking out or putting in always keep your finger on the side of the frame.... Always... In fact don't put your finger on the trigger unless you have aquired a target..

If you are simply talking about taking it out and putting it back in for say at home... Just take the dadgum thing out and put it back in anyway you want following the trigger finger rule... :)

· Registered
7,595 Posts
And if you are practicing for IDPA or IPSC or for "in case it hits the fan" start out slow and work on making it smooth; as you practice your speed will increase but always work for smooth.

· Registered
3,037 Posts
Natural Selector will agree that there's a missing finger in "For taking out or putting in always keep the trigger on the side of the frame.... Always... In fact don't put your finger on the trigger unless you have aquired a target..." He meant "always keep the trigger finger on the side of the frame."

I strongly disagree about unholstering and reholstering any which way if you're at home or otherwise not on stage. Do it the same way every time you do it while the holster is on your body because every time you do it is practice. Don't practice wrong.

I'm with everyone else in suggesting that you work for smooth rather than fast. Keep in mind the cliche: "Smooth is fast." I start out in slow motion and keep doing it that way until I don't have to think through every step. When it's really smooth it's usually as fast as I'm able to get it.

· Registered
579 Posts
Find some local clubs in your area (Vegas) that host IDPA/USPSA matches. Attend one, and watch/shoot, even bring a video camera along and "ASK" if you can film some of the competitors. You will find a wealth of information regarding "pistol craft" at such gatherings and a group of people that can share their knowledge.

· Registered
3,453 Posts
Robert Hairless said:
Natural Selector will agree that there's a missing finger in "For taking out or putting in always keep the trigger on the side of the frame.... Always... In fact don't put your finger on the trigger unless you have aquired a target..." He meant "always keep the trigger finger on the side of the frame."
Sorry about that.... ;) :biglaugh: Corrected... :)

· Registered
1,285 Posts
If it's any help,

here's what I do. As stated by others already, start slow and work up from there.
1)get a firm grip on the butt with your three bottom fingers and the web of your hand.
2)Keep your trigger finger on the frame above the trigger guard
3)pull from the holster, make minor adjustments in this "slow" stage of practice so the gun clears the holster in a firing grip.
4)extend the pistol toward the target
5)All in one motion, bring your support hand into play, finger goes into the guard and safety comes off.

Now here's where situational awareness will save your bacon. If the threat is making a hasty retreat, safety on, trigger finger back onto the frame. If the threat continues, you are in a firing posture, so start fighting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.