1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the prob. my "friend" went shooting with his 870 on the 4th and has been so busy with work he didn't have time to clean it until today. Well when he went shooting it rained just a bit before we left and the 12 got some humidity on it. So when he opened up the case today it was fully rusted!
Please help me! I mean my freind.

------------------
Have you hugged your 1911 today?

[This message has been edited by airborne420 (edited 07-09-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I'm glad this happened to your "friend" and not you airborne, because then I'd have to call you all kinds of names.

Suggest you don't try anything too agressive at first. Try spraying with WD-40, and let it sit for an hour or two. Then take a soft cloth soaked with more WD-40 and see if the rust wipes off. Chances are your gun - I mean your friend's gun - just has some surface rust after this short amount of time, and should wipe off.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Yup...That's one thing that'll work...CLP is even better...He'll probably need a new park job...No Blue for that boy...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Rub lightly with 4/0 steel wool wet with WD-40 or CLP.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Liquid Wrench works much better for cutting surface rust than WD-40. Soak it with the LW, then rub it lightly with 0000 steel wool. Cleaned up Dad's old Winchester model 12 with it, but you could'nt see the rust as bad as your "friends".

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where can I get 0000 steel wool?

------------------
Have you hugged your 1911 today?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I keep checking back to see if anyone has answered you.

I also wonder where I can get 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. 600 is the finest I can find around here.

(I guess the real hardware store is going the way of the dodo. Home Depot, Lowe's, and even Wal-Mart seem to be forcing them out of business, even if those chain stores don't have the same extensive selection.)

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Try an auto parts store for the 1000 grit sandpaper. That's where I get all my really fine stuff.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Before steel wool or sandpaper I'd try WD-40 on a Scotch-Brite pad. Pick it up at a grocery store, Wal-Mart etc... Works great and doesn't scratch. I've used Scotch-Brite on everything from engine cylinders to pool cues. I love the stuff!

[This message has been edited by ChrisS (edited 07-13-2001).]

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Any light oil and 0000 steel wool is the way to go. No sandpaper, or scotch brite or other stuff. You just have to trust me on this one. I had to do the same thing to PD shotguns for many years. The 0000 steel wool is perfect for the job. Get it at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, McCoys etc. Dont be stingy with the oil when you rub, but dont get sloppy either.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
JP
We use 1200 and 2000 for chambers and feed ramps and such. Try an automotive paint store.
Agree on the scotch bright, too agressive for what you are trying to do! It does come in different grits also (colors)
wood finishing shop is where we bought the last sleve of 0000
geo ><>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts