1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize not everyone wants to, has the ability to, or cares to, build their own AR from parts.

Myself, I do not see spending 2000 bucks or more on some snazzy brand name Gucci'ed up barbie doll. I have 3 AR's for less than 2100 bucks, not counting scopes, Eotech red.dots, etc. All are free floating guards with magpul furniture and ALG triggers. Hell my Eotech on my favorite costs almost as much as the rest of the gun. They are accurate to 2moa at 200 yards with good ammo and a good person behind the trigger. I can ring 6" steel all day at 300yds with my Eotech and beyond that, well, I really don't care since my eyes suck at 51yrs old haha. I don't lambast anyone that does buy those expensive guns, but I would much rather have 2 or 3 rifles and a bunch of ammo over a single rifle for the same money.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Forget the savings or lack there of, there are some things you do just for the experience and fun of it. Besides it's your money and that first shot is extremely cool (a I did this moment). :) I learned a lot building mine that i would not have gotten from reading a book or watching youtube.

Are you building 80% or tinker toy?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
493 Posts
I realize not everyone wants to, has the ability to, or cares to, build their own AR from parts.

Myself, I do not see spending 2000 bucks or more on some snazzy brand name Gucci'ed up barbie doll. I have 3 AR's for less than 2100 bucks, not counting scopes, Eotech red.dots, etc. All are free floating guards with magpul furniture and ALG triggers. Hell my Eotech on my favorite costs almost as much as the rest of the gun. They are accurate to 2moa at 200 yards with good ammo and a good person behind the trigger. I can ring 6" steel all day at 300yds with my Eotech and beyond that, well, I really don't care since my eyes suck at 51yrs old haha. I don't lambast anyone that does buy those expensive guns, but I would much rather have 2 or 3 rifles and a bunch of ammo over a single rifle for the same money.

Thoughts?
Thoughts? I belong to a gun club that has about 1,500 members and I have been there several decades. As a CCW instructor going back nearly 3 decades, I see lots and lots of guns at the range. I see lots of ARs, some very expensive, some works of art , some high end competition guns, some just cheap, $600 out the door ARs. My surprise is that just about everyone of them will shoot inch groups at 100 yards, and most will do it with cheap steel cased ammo.

I am 72, I grew up where any bolt action rifle that would shoot a 1 inch group was rare and something to brag about, so that is a big deal to me. Now most bolt action companies promise a 1 inch group with premium ammo, so it is no longer a big deal. But for the ARs to do it, pretty impressive to me and it does not matter the brand. My first and only factory gun was a DPMS. That gun shoots the cheap stuff that well. I have built several, they will all shoot 1.5 moa except for a 300 BLK pistol, but even it does pretty well.

So, I agree with you, if you enjoy putting them together go for it. I have also found that except for triggers, the brand of the parts does not matter much, all lowers are pretty much the same, and all barrels are precision made these days. The only extra value in AR parts might be for chrome parts or treatments to make them wear slower or easier to clean, but other than that, everything is pretty much the same. Well, magazine can matter, but not much else.

Recoil is so low, scope are not affected and you can get by with cheaper scopes that might not last with a 300 Win Mag, ARs today are just pretty darn practical and anyone can enjoy the fun of putting them together.

·
Administrator
75,920 Posts
Building your own AR is not only fun, but it gives you a sense of zen much like when a Jedi learns to build his own lightsaber (if you've never seen Star Wars... well, never mind). There are plenty of great factory-built ARs out there, but when you get to pick and choose each and every part that goes in one there's a sense of pride in knowing it's uniquely yours.

We can argue all day long about whether it actually saves you money or not.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
I only have a few guns, but most are 'home built'. My view is that I can only shoot one at a time and I'll only ever have one on my at any given time. Having a quality setup, with a backup or two, is all I need.

We have a coupe really short 300blk guns and 9mm PCCs for work/use in and around vehicles and things like that...beyond that it's a 11.5, 12.5 and 14.5 across me and my business partner. Only a few 'go-to' carbines, and the builds weren't that much BUT when you factor in optics, suppressors, IR/NV equipment, cost starts to go up real quick lol. But that gear lasts and when it needs help, the companies that make it are fantastic to work with in terms of both support and turnaround time.

As far as 'assembling' these, it's easy. Plenty of quality brands to choose from. The most prevalent issue I've seen is just the tolerance stacking that can happen when various manufacturers are involved. And even on factory guns, end users can add things that introduce issues and failures down the road.

Anyone can throw these together, the problem seems to spread when a 'builder' fires hundreds of rounds a year and then the rigs given a GO stamp. Typically those guys don't check intricacies like firing pin protrusion, headspace, extractor spec, etc. Things that can only become an issue with thousands of rounds sent downrange. Seen it many times, a buddy cries that something is gtg, a friend of his buys it with personal money for work use, and it lasts maybe a year or two on a rigorous firing schedule and then goes down in spectacular fashion.

No one is better or worse because of what they've chosen as far as gun and gear, it just all comes down to the user and the end use. Range toy vs duty rig obviously require way different criteria :) and if you know what you're doing, and more importantly how you want the gun setup (base don experience) then assembling them really is worthwhile IMO.

Reactions: rickflst

·
Registered
206 Posts
I say good for you. But not much thought past that. I built many over the last 20 years for department and friends. Some cheap, some high end. All depends on use environment and budget.

I do say you get it. Quality, inexpensive builds can readily get you moa with not the best ammo. I have multiple ARs in 5.56, 6.8, and 308. You sure don't need high end but, using AR10 as an example, my Eagle Arms build is not up to standard of my Amalite Ar10T SS which is awesome rifle but no where near the results from Noveske barreled build. Quality is costly if you seek a particular result.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Building your own AR is not only fun, but it gives you a sense of zen much like when a Jedi learns to build his own lightsaber (if you've never seen Star Wars... well, never mind). There are plenty of great factory-built ARs out there, but when you get to pick and choose each and every part that goes in one there's a sense of pride in knowing it's uniquely yours.

We can argue all day long about whether it actually saves you money or not.
I do not think that building an AR is even close to building a precision 1911. Anybody can throw and AR together in an hour or two and have it set for life. Kind of like a Lego set with thousands of parts options just a click away on the net.

But a 1911 with filed and fitted close tolerances and a proper trigger break and perfect feeding is more like a work of art.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Thoughts?
Good job. Over the years I have built my own rifles from bolt action sporting to AR’s and even some AK’s as I am getting up in years I just do 1911’s as you say a great pleasure in crafting your own. When they work well and shoot straight look good that’s what really makes you feel good.

·
Registered
352 Posts
They are fun to build but much more fun to shoot! They certainly don’t have to be “expensive“ to be a good reliable gun. Take the Colt M4 for example some places closed out at $600 before they discoed them a few years ago. Only to recently bringing them back. Great reliable good shooting gun. Chrome barrel too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mean, having a fluted pencil match grade stainless barrel that costs as much as my entire AR has some value, but I probably couldn't take advantage of it.

AR's are definitely easy to build, with modern manufacturing it's pretty easy to get parts that work well together. One of my guns is a Palmettto Armory parts build. Another came from Primary Arms, I picked every single piece. My first one was originally an M&P with no dust cover, the only thing left of it is the lower! I changed everything else over the years LOL.

I do want to build my own 1911. Just not sure where to start.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
My thoughts are that every gun enthusiast who has the desire should build one....or preferably more. You will learn something worthwhile the more you build. And there's nothing more satisfying than ringing steel with a gun you built.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I worked on them when I was in the Army, and never really had any desire for one, but in 2018, when a certain political party retook the House, I decided to stick my finger in their eyes and buy one. It didn't hurt that the local Rural King had some on sale at shamefully low prices. I picked up a DPMS Oracle, the cheapest they had. and brought it home.
Subsequent trials have proven that the danged thing will really shoot, I mean, REALLY shoot, and without any drama about it. I stuck a spare Leupold 3-9 on it, stuck in some of my old prairie dog shooting ammo in it, and it's been flawless in function, and "plenty accurate enough" for anything I can think of doing with it (coyotes, groundhogs, vermin of any sort, four legged or two).
I'm still not a huge fan of the things, they're harder to shoot off a bench (they tip over pretty easy), but they're also a far cry from the old M16A1s I used to work on.
I could have built it, but when you can get one for $450, it's not worth the trouble, for me, anyway. I've already gotten a lot more out of it than I expected.
I'd rather use my CZ 527s for vermin, but I can't stick my finger in the politician's eyes with my 527s..................

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I bought a few Stag fully finished receivers way back when they were much cheaper than any unfinished 80% lower. In fact , I don't think 80% lowers were sold back then. And certainly not for $45 each.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
After all the major parts sold out, I discovered InRange TVs WWSD series and wanted to build one. Since the Cav Arms type lowers were gone by then I ended up building a more conventional carbine on an Aero lower. Still, it came in at 5.9# and is a nice little carbine and I got a lot of enjoyment from planning and building it.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I never had any interest in making any firearm. I do modify my firearms with the changing out of hand guards, upper receivers, or addition of lights, lasers, sights, etc. And, as for this term "build," I don't understand it. A firearms manufacturer like Colt, FNH, LWRCi, and others, actually "build" firearms. Someone taking already "built" parts like frames, barrels, hand guards, and other parts and putting them together is the act of "assembling," not "building" a firearm. I never had any interest in assembling "Leggos" nor do I have any interest in assembling firearms. I prefer to purchase my firearms already assembled and ready to go right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Don't tell my wife, but I'm giving her an AR kit to build for Christmas. She likes putting together her own Pottery Barn or Ikea furniture or whatever, and I know she'll love the project.

She won't be able to do it ALL by herself, but it'll just be another chore for me. My least favorite parts of a lower build are keeping the detent in while installing the front pivot pin, and then getting the bolt release pin in without scuffing anything. Granted, I don't exactly have the right tools, either. Picture a Pakistani sitting on the dirt floor of a hut in Peshawar...that's me assembling an AR lower 😆

She MIGHT be able to do the rest with some supervision.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I never had any interest in making any firearm. I do modify my firearms with the changing out of hand guards, upper receivers, or addition of lights, lasers, sights, etc. And, as for this term "build," I don't understand it. A firearms manufacturer like Colt, FNH, LWRCi, and others, actually "build" firearms. Someone taking already "built" parts like frames, barrels, hand guards, and other parts and putting them together is the act of "assembling," not "building" a firearm. I never had any interest in assembling "Leggos" nor do I have any interest in assembling firearms. I prefer to purchase my firearms already assembled and ready to go right out of the box.

To each his own. Semantics. Nobody really "builds" firearms at home unless you happen to have a few million dollars worth of tools. And not what I meant when I said "homemade". "Building" still applies because you put different parts together, like a house, you build it, even though the lumber is already cut and the wiring already has insulation and the ceramic for the toilets was already shaped.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts