1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
73,466 Posts
Yes. Not much point in not doing so unless you want to hand the advantage to whoever is already right outside your bedroom door.

Problems with chamber-empty condition of readiness:

1. Turns the pistol into a two-handed weapon.
2. Makes noise as you rack the slide, alerting intruders to your location and letting them know you are armed.
3. Raises the possibility of a failure-to-feed malfunction, which can easily happen if you fail to rack the slide fully and forcefully.
4. Forfeits one round of capacity.
5. Offers little safety advantage over a fully-loaded firearm.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Cocked & Locked, ready to Rock !

Reactions: HarleyJim

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Condition one, always.

I learned that one day when a guy got into a big argument with the cashier of a local store. dsk has it described in his #2. There was no way I could rack my gun without immediately drawing attention to me. Yes, my gun was out but I never had to use it. Thank God. From then on I always carry and have my nightstand guns loaded and ready.

·
Administrator
73,466 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, a carry or home/shop defense gun with an empty chamber is like a kitchen fire extinguisher with a padlock on it. By the time you get it ready for use it's too late.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[QU
Condition one, always.

I learned that one day when a guy got into a big argument with the cashier of a local store. dsk has it described in his #2. There was no way I could rack my gun without immediately drawing attention to me. Yes, my gun was out but I never had to use it. Thank God. From then on I always carry and have my nightstand guns loaded and ready.
Valuable lesson.

·
Administrator
73,466 Posts
I just got my gun and put a round in the chamber.
I assume you are already practicing proper safety protocols, correct?

Reactions: HarleyJim

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
The decision to carry is personal. So is the decision to carry condition one. I encourage all to learn to carry locked and loaded - condition one and be safe.

Conditions
*Condition 0 — Magazine inserted, round in the chamber, safety off.
For SA/DA — Hammer is back.

Condition 1 — Magazine inserted, round in the chamber, safety on.
For SA/DA — Hammer is back.

Condition 2 — Applies to Single-Action/Double-Action primarily. This is a magazine inserted, round in the chamber, hammer forward. For revolvers, it would be rounds inserted into cylinder, cylinder locked into place, hammer forward.

Condition 3 — Magazine inserted, no round in the chamber.
For SA/DA — Hammer is forward.

Condition 4 — No magazine inserted, no round in the chamber.
For SA/DA — Hammer is forward.
For SA/DA revolvers — Hammer is forward, cylinder is clear of all rounds.

·
Administrator
73,466 Posts
Something I always advise with home defense guns, if it's your bedside piece be sure to keep it slightly out of reach, in a holster or inside a drawer, or better yet in a rapid-access safe. The reason is that when you're suddenly awakened and hear a sickening noise that indicates somebody may have broken in you don't want to make a panicky grab for your weapon while still only half-awake. Grabbing a fully-loaded gun in the dark and touching the trigger by mistake might cause it to make that annoying boom sound when you don't want it to. Make it so that you have to be fully awake and cognizant before you put your hands on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Something I always advise with home defense guns, if it's your bedside piece be sure to keep it slightly out of reach, in a holster or inside a drawer, or better yet in a rapid-access safe. The reason is that when you're suddenly awakened and hear a sickening noise that indicates somebody may have broken in you don't want to make a panicky grab for your weapon while still only half-awake. Grabbing a fully-loaded gun in the dark and touching the trigger by mistake might cause it to make that annoying boom sound when you don't want it to. Make it so that you have to be fully awake and cognizant before you put your hands on it.
I put it in a holster, and three feet away from my bed(in a drawer.) I thought I don't want to grab it half asleep.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Reactions: 991199 and SteedGun
1 - 20 of 82 Posts