1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to gunfreezones.com, all Minnesota Home Depot stores will now be posted banning legal CCW carry, at least in Minnesota. Here's the link:

http://gunfreezones.com/buss_databa...p=detail&id=539

As of last Friday, all stores were being mailed the signs. Apparently though, they are getting some push back from our side and may now reconsider.

Go to the Home Depot website and contact them about this policy:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...A&CNTKEY=Customer Support/Contact Us&MID=9876

Or Home Depot Customer Care 1-800-553-3199

Let 'em have it! Let's make this our next Applebees!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Copy of the e-mail I sent Home Depot....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Minnesota Home Depot stores will now be posted banning legal CCW carry, at least in Minnesota.
=======================================

I hope this isn't true. I would hope that your company seriously reconsiders this potential shift in policy. If for any reason, Home Depot adapts this anti-weapons policy, I will never again shop in your stores. I live in a suburban Detroit community, and I shop EXTENSIVELY at Home Depot, for all my home improvment products, and much, much more. I have a sister in Farmington, MN, and her husband also spends a lot of money in your stores. They also would be willing to boycott your stores if this policy is enacted. I have a brand new Lowe's located right next to my Home Depot store. I WILL NOT hesitate to start shopping there if need be. I would advise you to carefully consider the impact of your actions. The people of this nation, that chose to excersise their second ammendment rights to carry a legally licensed concealed weapon, have gone through extensive training and expense to earn what was already our constitutional right. We have passed exhaustive local, state, and FBI background criminal checks to obtain our concealed weapon license. We are as a rule, one of the safest segments of society. Even more so than sworn police officers. Check published statistics. I think you will be surprised. I hope common sense figures into your decision.
Thank you... David DeCoster

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's as simple as this..... PRIVATE PROPERTY

It is a shame, but a privately held business/company can dictate what occurs or doesn't on their own property. All we can do, is apply financial pressure in the terms of "lost income", and see if we can convince them to alter those policies that offend us.

·
Registered
91 Posts
keinhaar said:
For those of you who live in CC states, please explain to me how these things are even enforceable.

In North Carolina any establishment may post a sign at the entrance to their stores forbidding firearms. Also in North Carolina those establishments have been getting fewer and fewer (except in Chapel Hill - also known as Berkley East) thanks to the efforts of many who have their CCW's and how vocal they can be regarding where they will spend their money.

Many have cards that have a picture of a gun with a "not" sign over it and on the other side is a list of what someone must go through to get their CCW along with the question "What do you know about your other customers?" Don't know the web site, but if someone has it I sure would appreciate it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
keinhaar said:
For those of you who live in CC states, please explain to me how these things are even enforceable.
Legally, all they can do is demand you leave. If you refuse, they could have the police eject you, but I don't think carrying on their premisis is actually breaking a law, just store policy.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it's a private property issue. So is my money. So I take it elsewhere. And I tell Home Depot and hopefully they change.

It's not the enforcability issue. The issue is they made a decision to exclude law-abiding citizens from carrying. Why would we spend our money there?

·
Registered
20 Posts
In Michigan, if it's posted that they don't allow CCW's, the worst offense you'd face is a trespass charge. It is my understanding that if you just leave, that is usually the end of it. But, I suppose they could charge you, because you did in fact ignore the posted sign. I sure as hell don't agree with it........

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I will never understand the mentality that wants to prevent law abiding citizens from carrying firearms in their store, hell if I owned a store I would encourage it. Seems like a worthless rule with no point.....My problem is it just doesn't make sense, and I "need" things to make sense :) ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sent, I'll stop shopping here in the NW for you folks :hrm:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The overwhelmingly-obvious point is that these "restrictions" are unenforceable fluff unless metal detectors or X-ray machines are installed.

You may be peeved that a retail business would have such nonsense as a "rule" for customers, but THERE ARE IDIOTS AND A**HOLES everywhere, and always will be.
No reason to expect that people who own or run large retail businesses will have more common sense than most others.
Protest and boycott all you like, but it's a waste of energy IMNSHO. Still, maybe somebody there will listen. Who knows?

The important issue is that nobody should ever know that you're carrying a sidearm, and nobody in Home Depot will know UNLESS you have a compelling need for your sidearm (felonious attack) while there, in which case I trust you'll care less about Home Depot's "rules" than about preserving your own life.

I carry my sidearm(s) everywhere I go, except places with metal detectors (which obviously entail fussing with agents of "the state"), and I spend as little time as needs be in those places.

Signs to the contrary impress me not a whit.
Am I "trespassing"? No, not in any genuine sense.
Am I endangering anyone? No one innocent.
Am I afraid of the authorities? No, I do nothing to draw attention to myself, I'm quiet and unassuming and don't do stupid things, go stupid places, or associate with stupid people.
I'm no danger to innocent people, but I'm prepared for violent attack if it comes.

If Home Depot has something I need and nobody else does, I'll still go there and get it. But I'll carry my sidearm. Nobody's business but mine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
SAWBONES said:
Signs to the contrary impress me not a whit.
Am I "trespassing"? No, not in any genuine sense.
Am I endangering anyone? No one innocent.
Am I afraid of the authorities? No, I do nothing to draw attention to myself, I'm quiet and unassuming and don't do stupid things, go stupid places, or associate with stupid people.
I'm no danger to innocent people, but I'm prepared for violent attack if it comes.

If Home Depot has something I need and nobody else does, I'll still go there and get it. But I'll carry my sidearm. Nobody's business but mine. [/B]
Agree with your points 100%, but with a Lowes right across the street I have a choice and will vote with my feet. Besides, Lowes has better prices, more knowledgable staff, and I own their stock.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Done.
We must support our rights, and help those of other states when we see such policies in national businesses.

Jerry

·
Registered
91 Posts
E-mail sent & phone calls made

Good Luck, and hope it's just someone's brain child gone astray.

Doubt that HD would pull that that crap here in Texas, we.ve been carrying in there for a long time.

I have 2 sons that work for them one is a store manager and the other is in loss prevention. They would both be real disappointed if I quit shopping there. And I surely would STOP!

Hope they come around to their senses up there. I will help however I can from down south.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Seems like businesses are always cutting their own throats. There are lots of other options besides Home Depot, and if they post that policy here I will simply go somewhere else, be it Lowes or one of the local places.

Has anyone ever tried going to their sportmens club or other such group and organizing picketing, etc?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Protest and boycott all you like, but it's a waste of energy IMNSHO. Still, maybe somebody there will listen. Who knows?
Well, Applebee's posted, but because of a thread started on thehighroad.com people complained and guess what, the signs came down.

I see these points about "I carry where I want anyway" and "concealed means concealed". That's not the point in my opinion. It started with the schools, then certian government entities, and now big corporations. Little by little, they whittle away at the gun culture. We have to let these people know we're out there and we won't take this.

Liberals are great at incrementalism. The first federal income tax was 1%. Although the fed tax is way less than it used to be in the 70's, it's still way over 1%:( . As gun owners it's time we start taking it back. Luckily, corporations sometimes listen.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.