1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Machined from billet (solid) steel certainly has the potential to be stronger (or of higher quality) due to the fact that there is less of a chance for there to be any inclusions (imperfections) in the material. Cast parts are most likely to have them, forged parts are better and machined from billet is the ultimate. That said, cast frames (and parts in general) are very reliable due to the controls put in place in the manufacturing process. While machining a frame is very cool (and very time consuming) it is not really necessary. In the engineering world, you have to balance real requirements based on derived stress values with risk and cost to choose the correct method of manufacture. That said, I would love to machine a frame just to say I did it. But don't worry, cast frames on a carry gun that doesn't get a million rounds through it should never be an issue.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Thought DW used a cast frame, which is just fine.
Yes and no. Up through current model year, the Valor is a forged frame, the rest are cast. Starting with 2010, "the factory" implies big changes. Search can be your friend here :)

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Yes and no. Up through current model year, the Valor is a forged frame, the rest are cast. Starting with 2010, "the factory" implies big changes. Search can be your friend here :)
No need to be rude, was just stating that they were cast.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
No need to be rude, was just stating that they were cast.
:confused::scratch:

Didn't think I was being rude, just adding clarification to your blanket statement about cast frames. The clarification was that of the current models, the Valor is forged, others are cast. The bit about 2010 models was Keith said in another thread that they are all going to be forged.

If that was rude, than I guess I should apologize. So please accept my deepest and most heartfelt apology for exhibiting any rudeness in my reply to your previous post. If you consider this post rude also, then I give up and accept the title of rudest individual on the DW forum.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
that guy is pretty handy, but I don't think I would want one machined out of an aluminum block. if he ever makes a steel model that would be worth looking at.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Well he used an aluminum billet. So I'd say cast and forged will both be stronger than aluminum.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Off topic but,
1)Didn't that guy just make an ILLEGAL handgun?
2)He asked if you could tell the difference, I could. Some of his holes were not in the right place. They were slightly off.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
forged parts are better and machined from billet is the ultimate
I choke when I hear the "billet" term. As a machinist it's something from car people. "Billet" this and that. I've done a lot of machining but have never seen a billet. It's just funny to me. We buy barstock, flatstock, rectangular stock, no billet.

There is no better part than a forged part. A machined from barstock part is probably almost as strong generally, but the grain of the metal in a forged part makes it stronger as the grain structure conforms to the shape of the part.

Then of course it gets machined to finished dimensions. Another advantage to forging is that there is less waste, not nearly as many chips.

But the guy started with aluminum, so the strength is marginal anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah awesome replies, thanks for sharing.

I hope we never have to resort to machining our own gun frames because we have no other choice for defending ourselves. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts