1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since I was never able to find a holster I liked for my new .454 Alaskan, I decided to try my hand at Kydex holster making. Took me about three hours of messin' to get it just the way I wanted... I think it turned out pretty okey dokey for a first timer! :rolleyes:

In all, I'm VERY happy with how it turned out. Its very comfortable and holds the gun securely.

Where has Kydex been all my life?!? I think I have about $6 in materials in this holster -- when I think of how much money I could have saved over the years in holsters I've bought and didnt like... ugh!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
That looks great.

One piece of input I'd give is you may want to heat it up and pinch in the part inside the trigger, in front of the trigger. That is a great way to adjust the retention aspect of the holster.

It looks like it isn't pinched in much. Of course if it holds securely, then my point is moot.

Don
p.s. How did you heat it? Heat gun, or the oven?

·
Registered
54 Posts
im fix'n to give it a try myself, ive seen a few threads on it and doesn't look too tough. some technics ive seen are heat with a heat gun or oven at 200 degrees. used gloves and use a spray bottle with water to cool it down if its too plyable. ebay has some kydex sheets for pretty cheap, im just not sure what thickness to go with 1/8"?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That looks great.

One piece of input I'd give is you may want to heat it up and pinch in the part inside the trigger, in front of the trigger. That is a great way to adjust the retention aspect of the holster.

It looks like it isn't pinched in much. Of course if it holds securely, then my point is moot.

Don
p.s. How did you heat it? Heat gun, or the oven?
Thanks for the suggestion -- its actually pinched more than it looks. You have to yank pretty hard to get the gun out of the holster. If you hold it upside down and shake it, you cant make the gun fall out.

I ended up just using a heat gun to do all of the work -- it worked pretty well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im fix'n to give it a try myself, ive seen a few threads on it and doesn't look too tough. some technics ive seen are heat with a heat gun or oven at 200 degrees. used gloves and use a spray bottle with water to cool it down if its too plyable. ebay has some kydex sheets for pretty cheap, im just not sure what thickness to go with 1/8"?
I used .093" Kydex and it seems to be just right.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
nebmike,

thats great. I am really impressed with how nicely finished the edges appear to be. You did much better than I did.

Its a fine line when finishing the edge between having it rough and having it get all gloppy.

Don

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nebmike,

thats great. I am really impressed with how nicely finished the edges appear to be. You did much better than I did.

Its a fine line when finishing the edge between having it rough and having it get all gloppy.

Don
I think it must have been beginners luck! :) I went into it knowing that unless I really screwed things up, I could just reheat it and start over. I managed to not have to do that, which was good.

My next project is gonna be speed loader holders for that bad boy.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
oh yeah, the lighter colors show mistakes more. So you did doubly well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts