1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honest unbiased opinions please.....
Allright ladies and gents it's descision time.

I want your real unbiased honest assement of Kimbers SS Compact II and Colt's Defender.

MIM and the swartz safety are non issue for me and won't stop me from buying, same goes for the Colts redundant safety.

These "HOT" issues aside , do you like or dislike? Why / Why not?

I am a 98% 1911 kind of guy, 2% Makarov, so no other designs are being considered.

I am a little torn between the Kimber and the Colt defender.
In my opinion these two guns are equal in quality.
I already own an Officer's model and like it. I already own a SS Custom II and like it to.

Both the Kimber Compact and the Defender have their merits and their faults I'm sure.

I am sure I would be very happy with either.

That is why I am soliciting owners assessments of theirs.
I look forward to

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I won't rant on an on about which is best, because in all honesty both companies make good quality guns. My preference would go to the Colt Defender. I have owned several of these since they first came out and I have never, not once, had a problem with any of them. My current gun is totally reliable and shoots better than it should with its short barrel. Plus, the lightweight frame is a plus on a heavily carried gun. A search will reveal that most, if not all, Defender owners have had the same results.

I have owned two stainless Series I Kimber Compacts. Both were excellent guns and I wish that I had kept one of them. Reliable, good looking guns with features that I liked. I have had personal first hand problems with Series II guns, but in all honesty that was when they first came out. The last two or three various models that I've owned have been excellent. As a matter of fact I am going today to pick up a stainless Target 38 Super this afternoon.

I would give the Defender the thumbs up of these two, based simply on the fact that my personal experience with them have been completely trouble free.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
AC's & 45's said:
I am a 98% 1911 kind of guy, 2% Makarov, so no other designs are being considered. I

You could up your Makarov count to about 30-40% and still be 1911 majority

·
Administrator
72,393 Posts
Personally, I have a strong dislike for short 1911s. Not only are they often very tempermental, but you lose enough velocity out of the short tube that you might as well go with a compact 9mm loaded with +P ammo.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
The Compact is a 4" barrel and the Defender a 3". I'd suggest you try to shoot one of each and see which suits you better. As mentioned, the shorter 1911's can be more troublesome than the gov't models in all brands.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My defender has been nothing but problems. The grip safety looks like it was installed by a child (with a Sawsall), the trigger is cheesy plastic and it was a total “jam-o-matic”.

After both mags were sent back to Colt; I replaced the slide stop and extractor, and I polished the feed-ramp, it runs fine.

I would hesitate to purchase another--way too much trouble.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have both, a 5” Kimber Gold Match II and a 3” Colt Defender. I compete with the Kimber and have ran 25K through it in the last year with NO problems at all, that’s with ALL of the factory parts except for the addition of an Ed Brown mag well.

It was natural that when I went looking for a carry gun that I looked for a small 1911. After MUCH research I bought the Defender. To be honest, right at first there was a few problems but I wrote them off to “new 1911” break in. The best thing I did was buy a couple of Tripp Research 6/7 mags and then the little gun has ran FLAWLESSLY for several hundred rounds of both SWC and 230gr Golden Sabers. It’s my constant companion and is rarely more than an arms reach away.

Ed
Tripp Research

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've never had any experience with the Kimber. If someone gave me one I would be excited. I just can't afford "one-of-each". My Defender runs great. Some say there are reliability issues with short barrels, there may be. Apparently my Defender wasn't told these limitations. Shoots great. Carries great.

It appears that Slash-5 has an early model Defender. Mine has the aluminum trigger and fit and finish is good. It does have a plastic MSH but I don't mind (supposed to keep weight down).

FYI - I did have a minor problem with PMC hardball early on, FTF occasionally. I just don't use it now. White box, Hydra-shox, Golden sabre, UMC, all run fine.

Traded the Hogue grips out for Alumagrips. Just seems to carry better.

Trog

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a Kimber Classic Custom in 1998. After the as usual but very few break in problems it has turned into a very reliable pistol. I added a Wilson short trigger but otherwise it is stock.
I reload 185 and 200 LSWC and enjoy trouble free target shooting.
I bought a S.S. Colt Officers Model in 1996 which was before I reloaded and had only ran different factory loads through it. It went to Clark's in Louisiana for reliablity work. I'm happy with the end result.
If I have the money and the inclination, I will never shy away from a Colt. This personal experience has made me a Kimber fan for sure also.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I used to have a SA V10 Ultra Compact w/porting. POJ! I replaced it with a Llama Mini-Max 45 ACP. It flat works! My Colt has a plastic trigger and MSH, it is very reliable though. I had a few problems with magazines and double feeding. I bought McCormick mags and the feeding problems vanished.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I also have a Colt Defender and I love it. I had a problem with a defective recoil spring when I first purchased it so I sent the weapon back to Colt for repairs and some custom work. It appears they beefed up the retaining plate on the end of the spring assembly. It is true that the shorter 1911's are more problematic and may take more work to get them to run right. However this weapon has run perfect for the past year with over several hundred rounds through it.

I think the key to the 3" 1911's is good spring hygene. I also carry my Defender with 185gr Golden Sabre or Federal. I believe this combination gives me better velocity from the 3" barrel. If I ever get rid of my Defender it will be because Colt is making the CCO again (Defender frame with the Commander slide).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also have a early model Defender and it has been nothing but a good experience. It is more accurate than my Commander and it even runs on my sometimes less than perfect reloads. I had Ned Christianson do a smoothing of the sharp edges added a Colt ambi and all else is still stock. I had two ''high dollar'' Kimbers and had nothing but problems with them,so when I got the Defender it was like a breath of fresh air.:)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I did T&E on a Defender, about 50 rounds, for a friend of mine a little over a year ago. I was very impressed with this pistol. I have not shot it anymore as my friend passed away. His son, not a shooter, has his collection and I no longer have access to the Defender. Regards, Richard:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts