Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've been seriously looking at a Wilson CQB. I've thoroughly looked over every Wilson Combat at my local gun stores and they feel incredible. They way everything fits and feel is close to perfection. I've recently run into a little 'moral support' problem. With the way these guns feel, does it really mean they ARE that perfect? I've only held a couple 1911's and the Wilson's felt by far, the nicest. My problem is...if I didn't purchase a Wilson, but went with an Ed Brown or Les Baer, would I be short of perfection? Do they perform/feel as nice as the Wilson. I just want to find a relatively cheaper replacement that feels/performs as good.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Hey guys, I've been seriously looking at a Wilson CQB. I've thoroughly looked over every Wilson Combat at my local gun stores and they feel incredible. They way everything fits and feel is close to perfection. I've recently run into a little 'moral support' problem. With the way these guns feel, does it really mean they ARE that perfect? I've only held a couple 1911's and the Wilson's felt by far, the nicest. My problem is...if I didn't purchase a Wilson, but went with an Ed Brown or Les Baer, would I be short of perfection? Do they perform/feel as nice as the Wilson. I just want to find a relatively cheaper replacement that feels/performs as good.
Brown and Baer make solid guns, just like Wilson does. Only you can really tell what works for you. Get your hands on a Brown and a Baer, like you did with the Wilson. See what you think about them in hand, then make your call.

Heck......we can say "yea" or "nay" to this or that all day long here, but what really appeals to and works for you?

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
"...went with an Ed Brown or Les Baer, would I be short of perfection? Do they perform/feel as nice as the Wilson. "

Short ans...Yes! While my info is dated, it was easier to find a new Wilson at a price if one was willing to take the time to call around and see what was available, then haggle a bit.
Not the case with Brown and Baer when bought own Baer, however. Both Wilson's have are used but in excl condition, purchased for almost 1/2 price of full-suggested retail, FWIW. Warranty is still good even if not the original owner, too!
Would not overlook Rock River's great 1911's either........

·
Registered
297 Posts
...if I didn't purchase a Wilson, but went with an Ed Brown or Les Baer, would I be short of perfection? Do they perform/feel as nice as the Wilson. I just want to find a relatively cheaper replacement that feels/performs as good.
I have found that I am better off getting what I really want because, IF I don't 6 months later I am looking back wishing I had. I am not knocking either EB or LB, it is just that you REALLY want the CQB.
I have a CQB and I used to have a LB Thunder Ranch. I love my CQB, it is a superb weapon. For some reason though, I still miss my TRS...

Spend the extra dough and get what you really want.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
With a Les Baer you are NOT short of perfection, but it all just depends on what you want in a 1911. For example, the Les Baer TRS is cheaper than Wilson's base level combat gun, but in order for a Baer to compare to a CQB, finish- and ruggedness-wise, you'd need to spend a lot more than you would on a CQB.

So, to simplify it, Baer is every bit as good as Wilson and Wilson is every bit as good as Baer.... so get the one with the features you want for the cheapest.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a Wilson and a Baer. The Baer doesn't feel like a wilson. Some of it might be the painted finish on the wilson, but I think the fit of the wilson is also just slightly looser. My Baer has thousands of rounds through it and it is still too stiff.

Of the two, I prefer the Wilson. I like the slick finish and the fitting is more "just right" than "too tight".

I also agree with an earlier poster, get the one your heart wants. When I cheap out on a decision like this, I'm always looking back and revisiting it. You'll have no regrets with a Wilson if a Wilson is what you want.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I bought a Wilson after I bought a Kimber as my first 1911. I soon after sold the Kimber and bought a Mil-Spec Springfield that I love for its super simpleness. Every time I pick up my CQB I drool. I will always buy Wilson's for my high-end guns.
I have never handled a Bauer or a Brown, but I am sure they are great guns as I have heard great things about them.
I just choose to stay with Wilson as I have had nothing but greatness with their guns and their service. I feel no need to spend high dollars with another company for these simple reasons.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
He's right. Baer guns are tighter.... more buttery smooth whereas Baer guns feel like a solid piece of steel in your hand.

Honestly, Brown builds great guns, Baer and Wilson build great guns. No matter which of the three you choose, you won't be disappointed in the least. You sound like you really want that Wilson, though, so I'd get that. Otherwise you're just going to wish you had. If the 1911 platform has taught me one thing, it's that you should never buy yourself a "consolation prize" gun, because you'll spend all that money and then go back and buy the one you really wanted anyway. Happens EVERY time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
He's right. Baer guns are tighter.... more buttery smooth whereas Baer guns feel like a solid piece of steel in your hand.

Honestly, Brown builds great guns, Baer and Wilson build great guns. No matter which of the three you choose, you won't be disappointed in the least. You sound like you really want that Wilson, though, so I'd get that. Otherwise you're just going to wish you had. If the 1911 platform has taught me one thing, it's that you should never buy yourself a "consolation prize" gun, because you'll spend all that money and then go back and buy the one you really wanted anyway. Happens EVERY time.
Amen to what Kimber just said. At that level, I believe that they are all great guns, it's just what your heart tells you. If you are that much in love with Wilson, by all means get a Wilson. I have been down that road before and found myself second-guessing the hell out of myself. Get what you want, enjoy it, and don't look back! Best wishes and safe shooting :rock:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a safe full of 1911 pistols. 3 Les Baers and other customs such as EWG, Clark, Ngai, are included in the mix with stock guns. If I were limited to one 1911 pistol, or one pistol for that matter, it would be my Wilson KZ-45. It is one of the polymer frame cheaper models that Wilson offers. The pistol will at least shoot with anything I own and better than most. It has been 100 % reliable and it is my do everything gun. I shot USPSA Limited 10 with it, for about a year, before moving to Limited.

If I were to buy a new Single Stack, you guessed it, Wilson.

Buddy

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I just choose to stay with Wilson as I have had nothing but greatness with their guns and their service. I feel no need to spend high dollars with another company for these simple reasons.
I'll anti up to that. Wilson guns and their service rock.:rock:

They use good parts, fit their guns together nicely, finish them for hard use and sell them at a sorta fair price :grumble: but they back them up with the best customer service from a firearms company I can think of. That is a very important consideration these days.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I gotta tell you guys, I stopped by a gun store today that had a CQB Elite. Now I've handled a lot of 1911s in my 50 years. I own or have owned Colts, Randalls, Kimbers. I worked in a gun shop while in school, handling just about everything that was stocked there. I've fondled Ed Browns and Les Baers at the range store where I shoot. That Wilson DID feel different. It pointed effortlessly. I prefer Commander style pistols because they point better, but that CQB was so natural, I nearly bought it! Good thing I didn't, an email was waiting for me at home notifying me that my Wilson Professional Model had shipped and will arrive tommorrow. Whew! Did I dodge one there.:eek:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hell

You're going to want all three at some point anyway, so it really doesn't matter. Flip a Coin.....:confused:

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I gotta tell you guys, I stopped by a gun store today that had a CQB Elite. Now I've handled a lot of 1911s in my 50 years. I own or have owned Colts, Randalls, Kimbers. I worked in a gun shop while in school, handling just about everything that was stocked there. I've fondled Ed Browns and Les Baers at the range store where I shoot. That Wilson DID feel different. It pointed effortlessly. I prefer Commander style pistols because they point better, but that CQB was so natural, I nearly bought it! Good thing I didn't, an email was waiting for me at home notifying me that my Wilson Professional Model had shipped and will arrive tommorrow. Whew! Did I dodge one there.:eek:
VISA loves you!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Oh, don't worry, you'll be ordering up that CQB Elite in short time.
I took delivery of my CQB Elite in July and am currently plotting my layout of my yet to be ordered Professional.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Maybe we could swap back and forth and save 50%.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.