1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love my Valor. Want to say that up front, but... With the 2010 price increase of $300, is the Valor worth $1877 MSRP or so? Maybe $1630 actual price. This is getting into the price range of some very nice semi customs like Wilson and Baer. What say the COTEPers?

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
DW might just be pricing themselves out of their niche.

If a Valor was around $1700... Fusion is an option:(

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
What folks may be loosing sight of is the fact that competitors are going up too. I've seen Fusion go up significantly these past few years as an example and I don't expect that trend to stop. As an aside this isn't unique to firearms. Everything from automobiles to Rolex (yeah they just really cranked their MSRPs and no, I don't own or plan on owning any) watches are going up big time.

I suspect Dan Wesson will still be well positioned and yes, have a few more "upscale" models in their catalog as well.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Let's see what we'll be buying (quality wise) for that money first ... Sound reasonable?
I initially jumped to the.. "Im not paying 16-1700 for a DW, I'll buy a Baer".. but I'll take the above approach and see what they have to offer. I dont doubt Dan Wesson's ability, so we'll see. Heck, I may totally broke and unemployed and unable to buy a glock:barf: next year, only time will tell.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I'd say their current quality is competitive with the other semi-custom makers. However, I chose DW because their price point was so much lower. If they are priced closer to the other makers, I am then far more tempted to buy from those other makers- DW isn't as obvious and easy of a choice.

Thereby I think they are pricing themselves out of their niche if rumors are true. As I've said before though, this isn't just a DW thing, SA did the same thing with their TRP line.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I agree I will wait to see what is added and if it deems the extra cost.

That being said I do believe that they are moving out of their price niche, which could be good or bad. Who knows they dominated their niche now quality wise, they might just do the same in the next bracket also.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
lets not forget that any company planing upon increasing prices on the finished products does so based upon a great deal of market research, so as to not walk away from their base market. I am sure that DW has done their due diligence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As an aside this isn't unique to firearms. Everything from automobiles to Rolex (yeah they just really cranked their MSRPs and no, I don't own or plan on owning any) watches are going up big time.
Noooo, not Rolexes. What am I going to use for props in my gun pictures from now on...:biglaugh:

·
Registered
872 Posts
If they go up too much..I already have enough guns but many will agree they have been under priced in the past..If I came to this forum 5 yrs ago I'd have 3-4 already....

·
Banned
290 Posts
If they go up too much..I already have enough guns but many will agree they have been under priced in the past..If I came to this forum 5 yrs ago I'd have 3-4 already....
I don't think they are underpriced, they are right on their price to value ratio. Today you buy a CBOB for about 35% less than you buy a Fusion with the same specs, but with the Fusion you are getting forged frame, limited lifetime warranty..... I do believe that that is room for competition between DWs and the other custom and semi-custom, but the competition has to be, again, on the price to value ratio. DW can offer high quality guns, as they do now, on a more appealing price because of the production process; it is much cheaper to produce 100 units in a line than 10 one by one. The quality needs to be on the components and finish, a very strict QC! That being said, DW will have no problem selling their guns as long as the QC is on top and the price is right!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It's just that them $.27 Obama dollars don't buy as much as they use to.:(

Sir, you got that right. :biglaugh: I think since 1933, the dollar is down about 97 or 98%. It sure doesn’t look good going forward either. :bawling:

Hopefully, Dan Wesson will keep price increases within reason. I’m thinking about a stainless steel (uncoated) Valor now that they are going to put a different rear sight on them.

Best regards.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
It's easy to hit 2 grand on a Fusion, and you're not gonna see many Wilsons, Nighthawks, Browns or Baers for under 2000 either. DW's still going to be the best value here.

I think DW has firmly established itself as worth more than the production guns that were their competition for a while (SA & Kimber, among others). The question is, how much more are the semi-customs worth than a DW?

Hmm. Maybe you can get a semi-custom for $400-$500 more than a DW. Now some of you say that's close enough to 2k and just shell it out for a better gun, but to a lot us that $400 will keep us with DW and in the Deacon's good graces. A couple hundred bucks ain't exactly chump change.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts