1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has passed away and his wife gave me all of his reloading equipment,she said he would want me to have it,Im picking it up next week.
I know everything is dillon,He reloaded 30-06,38 special,.45 acp,9mm .223 etc
He has probably about 2000 rounds of brass for each caliber,powder, primers,and bullets.

My question is,is there any books on how to reload?,I have no clue on what to do but hear that its very relaxing and can become a great hobby.Since im getting all of this equipment I wanted to ask you guys on where I could find books on how to reload.
Ive read alot of post's here and you all seem like Jedi reloaders:) So what better place to ask questions about reloading then here where all the 1911 junkies are like myself;)
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I would imagine the collection of stuff would have a manual of some type. They will all have a section on the basics involved. The Dillon manual will cover the operation of the press in addition to the basics of reloading as well. You do need a manual to get safe data/recipes for all the reloads you plan on making. I have the RCBS, Hornady, and Lyman manuals and they are about the same in regards to explaining the basics. If you have any friends who reload it might be a good idea to have them show you some of the basics.......even better if they use the same press.

What model press is it by the way?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sheldon,
Thanks for the info.
As to the model,Its either the 550B or the xl650,He had everything,he would just sit in the garage and load for every caliber of gun he had except .22:) He would reload 168 BTHP ammo for me and his Garand,and he would reload wad cutters for his 1911.He would also reload match .223 for his Colt HBAR.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I had no idea when I started reloading a while back how much I'd enjoy it - it's really a great hobby. I get that "Mad Scientist" feeling as I'm concocting my own special "brews"! :p

If there's no manual for the press call Dillon and they'll send you one - they are great to deal with. "The ABC's Of Reloading" is a great book and the manuals are worth reading. I have Speer's, Lyman's and Hornaday's latest and it's neat to read about the histories of the companies as well as the technical data.

Welcome to this great hobby! :D

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
ALL GOOD

The Speer, Sierra, and Hornady manuals offer superb loading info, but you must actually read them.
Then you can ask questions, and understand the answers.

Best part nowadays is this internet thingy, because you can get answers faster.

First, put on your safety glasses (always, as in always).

Size: all cases; this might include depriming fired cases.

Prime: insert primer; WARNING--PRIMERS WILL EXPLODE.

Flare: this opens the case mouth slightly to allow a bullet to fit.

Drop: add powder. Not too much...

Seat: push the bullet in. Not too much...

Crimp: crush the case around the bullet.

Test: fire one, but stand back!

See how much fun it can be?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If a friend came over and asked for one book on this subject, I'd hand over my Lyman manual. I think they do a nice job of explaining things, laid out logically and clearly.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Find a reloading buddy nearby

Why not post in this forum telling what area you live in and asking if a forum member who reloads would be willing to help you get set up and started? It's not that complicated, but a good manual (Lyman) and somebody showing you the ropes can make a huge difference. Most of the guys I know who reload would love to help a newbie get started. If you're anywhere near Philly, I'm your man. Otherwise, I am sure there are lots of guys in your area who would be willing to help you set up the press, sort thru the stuff, and get acquainted with the process.

Good luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts