1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it safe to use hoppes 9 solvent on the entire pistol i see a lot of ppl only using it on the barrel then break free on everything else. is there a reason for this?

and if it can be used on the entire pistol is it safe to use on the springfield stainless steel?

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
It's safe for the entire pistol and safe for stainless. Just preference. I've found that Hoppes works well for general cleanings. Bore Shine works better for me if I have a lot of copper build up and I prefer CLP for lubrication and rust prevention.

Just preference though. I used Hoppes exclusively for about 20 years and it worked well for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is safe to use on all metal parts and most wood finishes

However, you must remember that it is a SOLVENT and is used mainly on the insde of the barrrel and chamber for cleaning purposes only. It is not a lubricate and should not be used for that purpose--hence CLP, Weapon Shield or some other good lubricate should be used for protection of the metal parts.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
Hoppes #9 works well to remove all sorts of crud inside and out. However don't make a habit of getting your wood grips wet with it. Occasional contact is fine.

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
Hoppes 9 is all I have ever used because it works. Taking the grips off first keeps them looking new. #9 just smells good too. :)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I use Hoppes on all my pistols, whether polymer, stainless or carbon. Wipe everything down and lube with Hoppe's oil.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I see that a lot of people recommend FP10. Is it a petroleum based lub. or do they make both petr. based & non-petr. based product?

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I was using hoppes for many years until i found a great deal on the orginal G.I. Rifle Bore Cleaner. The orginal G.I. stuff can eat the chrome off a trailer hitch. (kidding) But it does really loosen and clean all the fouling. Then i use the orginal G.I. Weapons Oil for lubing my bores. All the other moving parts that are steel on steel get lubed with moly.:rock:

For the outside of my guns for storing them i use a silicone spray. I just spray it on and wipe it down lightly. Then its a yearly thing to do some safe cleaning and wipe them all down again. Of course they do come out during the year to get shot but once a year they all get wiped down again. I like to do it at christmas while its cold and snowing.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have also heard that Hoppes is not good for nickel. Anyway, I use Breakfree CLP to clean and lube.
Used it on my Nickel 357 S&W since age 17 45 now and it is still OK:confused:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
. Is it a petroleum based lub. or do they make both petr. based & non-petr. based product?
I assume it has both Group II+ (Dino) , and Group III (Highly highlyrefined/hydrocracked Dino- technically can be called synthetic).

Bottle says "synthetic and petroleum hydrocarbons"

·
Registered
86 Posts
i too use Hoppes on the entire gun and host it down with Remington Rem Action Cleaner, let dry and lube it with Brownells Gun Oil.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
is it safe to use hoppes 9 solvent on the entire pistol i see a lot of ppl only using it on the barrel then break free on everything else. is there a reason for this?

and if it can be used on the entire pistol is it safe to use on the springfield stainless steel?

muddmonky,

Their's allot of other product on the market that will clean your pistol. Hoppes no. 9 will work just as well if your talking about the basics but you can also use any typpe of oil like Breakfree and such to clean the frame and slide. Use the Hoppes for the barrel and save some money.

I personally use Prolix and large patches to clean my pistols and MP Pro 7 to clean the barrel and chamber. That way I don't stink up the house.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
15,656 Posts
You can just use Breakree CLP for a solvent, lube and rust preventative. It is all I've used for cleaning and lubing for over twenty years. Never had a gun rust. Lots of people will say that one product cannot do all three but CLP really does. It was the military standard for a lot of years. The only thing it won't do is dissolve copper fouling from jacketed bullets. You'll need a dedicated solvent for that.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Love me some Hoppes #9. It works well for cleaning, then I lube the pistol up with FP-10. Usually leave the inside of the barrel coated w/just a little bit of Hoppes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts