1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to soak your pistol barrel in this stuff overnight? WIll it hurt anything? Just thinking about how I could make clean-up easier for the next day.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I don't think it will hurt anything. I use to keep a half gallon in an ammo can and clean all the parts except grips and plastic in it. I only stopped because Hoppe's got too expensive to use it as a dunk cleaner. Never had a problem. When it gets dirty just strain it through a cloth or coffee filter and put it back in the can.

·
Registered
28 Posts
An empty olive jar works well for the overnight soak. Doesn't require too much solvent and can be used numerous times.

·
Super Moderator
14,751 Posts
I use the olive jar method to soak the cylinder from my revolvers, particularly when shooting lead. The cylinder holes and face are much easier to clean after an overnight soak.

Good shooting.....Rod.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As is discussed in other threads, an ammo can full of Ed's Red, or one of its many variations, is a great way to speed cleaning. Most use a wire basket in which to sink their parts.

My (current) version:

1 qt. automatic transmission fluid
1 qt. kerosene
1 qt. low odor mineral spirits
1 qt. Goo-Gone citrus based cleaner (the mineral spirits formulation. They also sell water based suspensions, gels, etc.)

NOTE: Goo-gone EATS plastic! (My gun is all metal, so no worries)

I swab the bore with commercial copper solvents and let the barrel sit separately (in an olive jar) for a couple of hours, before dropping it in with the other parts. smity

p.s., my freind uses mineral spirits (2 parts) and Hoppes No. 9 (1 part), rather than Ed's Red in his ammo can. Others think ethanol should be included (which is also in Hoppes No. 9!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts