1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A silly question, I suppose, but I am wondering. I've always pronounced "Hoppes" as "hops", but a veteran at the range where I shoot who's been around a lot longer than me says "hoppies". How do you say it?

·
Registered
510 Posts
"Hoppies" for me... never thought about it... Strange language, Eh?

------------------
Rust never sleeps...

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Hoppes, think of the stuff belonging to Hopalong Cassidy, "Hoppy's".

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,006 Posts
Rhymes with "poppies".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Traevin......Koch can be pronounced as "Kotsch", "Cook", or "Coke".

The former mayor of New York, Ed Koch pronounced it "Kotsch".

The Koch Refinery Company pronounces it as "Coke".

My mother-in-law (a Koch) pronounces it as "Cook".

·
Registered
370 Posts
i say 'hops', saw a wilson video where he called it 'hoppies', never heard anything different until i saw that.
maybe its regional -- depends on the area you live in to get a different pronunciation

ex. ye olde ice cream shoppe -- 'shop' or 'shoppie' ?

with HK, i say kotch
also heard -- coke, cock
nver heard of 'cook'

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to end a life long family tradition for some of you,
but I sent an inquiry via e-mail to Hoppe's factory and got this official reply:
"Thank you for your inquiry! The correct pronunciation is Hop-Ez."

Sincerely,
Robyn Hepner
Hoppe's

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
One makes beer from hops to clean your insides and Hoppes (as Chaplain said to pronounce it) to clean your gun.

It may be regional as to what people call it, but it is not regional as to what it is actually called/named.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Chaplain! Getting it from the source was a really good and simple idea...hoppies it shall be from now on. I guess it wasn't such a silly question after all, given how many of us use it for how many years?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Koch is pronouced 'Coke' if a German-speaker says it. My grand-uncle's family shares the same last name, and all speak german quite well. German is pronounced exactly as it is spelled, no extra sounds added.

Kharn

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Sorry but "coke" still doesn't do it justice. A native-German speaker would pronounce the ch with a sound we don't make in English, and therefore don't have a way to spell it's pronunciation.

It's half-way approximated by kotsh, but it's more like clearing your throat than how any English reader would pronounce kotsh. I can't even think of a way to phonetically spell it, since english speaker don't make this sound.

But it's definitely not "coke" like the cola, with a hard 'k' sound. Can you make a "soft" k sound? Like you're whispering only the k. Something like that.

Anybody ever eat kuchen? Es macht nichts!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Traevin, I'm blaming you for this
You're the one who started on H&K...

hoppees

------------------
Rust never sleeps...

·
Registered
696 Posts
M1911 is correct.Hoppies is the way you say it.hops is what we drink.eeeehawww.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

1 - 20 of 21 Posts