1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be an odd post for a pistol forum, but I'm sure there are people here who know what I need to know.

Can anyone recommend a good horizontal gun rack for an EZGO gas cart? I have a Workhorse ST350 with a dump bed. I would like to take a rifle with me when I work around the farm. Nearly every animal that lives here needs to be shot for one reason or another. I don't like stand-up racks. I don't want them in the way of my feet.

Another question: what's a good all-around rifle for executing vermin? I have things ranging from squirrels up to coyotes, although I have never seen a coyote present itself for a shot. ***** ("raccoons" in case there is PC software censoring this site) are common. I have .22 rifles, but they seem weak for bigger pests. I have a 16-gauge, but I don't think the same #6 rounds that kill squirrels will do good work on koons. Perhaps I'm wrong. I have a .204 Ruger bolt rifle with a scope, but I was thinking something with iron sights would be nice because scopes can be a pain at short ranges.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
2,372 Posts
Any MSR Modern Sporting Rifle will do for your varmints. Just get a 5.56 barreled carbine and it will shoot both 5.56and 223 ammunition. The prices aren't too bad right now and ammunition is fairly easy to find. I have a Ruger beater carbine with open sights I bang around in my Polaris Ranger. And I have a much nicer 16" barreled .223 Wylde chamber which is more accurate at distance. I use Frontier 5.56 ammunition in 62g Hornady SP or load my own 65g Sierra SP Varminst including coyotes are susceptible to death with the 223

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I have AR's in .204 and .223, and both have optics. The .223 has a red dot, and the the .204 has a 14x scope. I don't have much confidence in my ability to hit a squirrel with a red dot. I have not tried, however.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
2,372 Posts
Sounds like great practice with the red dot just not in the trees. I have 10 acres in NW Tennessee and plenty of varmints. I usually use one of my 1911s, It makes for great practice when they are on the ground. LOL

·
Registered
190 Posts
For mounting a gun case, I had a Mule with a roof and mounted gun cases one from each side across the back of the roof using Unistrut tubing, that way I could carry two rifles, a .17 Ruger and a 30-06 or shotgun. The .17 with scope is my favorite all around gun for just about everything from snakes, turtles, squirrels, rabbits, to hogs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
At my previous residence I had a Kawasaki Mule UTV for working around the property. I also had seen coyotes on numerous occasions so I looked around and found a rifle mount that attached to the roll cage. Mine was for a single rifle and worked well for a simple pencil barrelled AR15 carbine. Company's name was Big Sky: Home - Big Sky Racks

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have used .17 hmr, .22 lr, .22 mag, .223, .300 blackout, .41 mag, and .44 mag, on racoons. The best is the .22 mag, my .22lr had the worst "one shot kill," record, and the .22 mag was just slightly better than the .17 hmr. Also, .22 mag works okay on coyotes, within 100 yards. Ruger's American carbine is very handy, and you can use the iron sights, or put a cheap Simmons 22 mag scope on it. I have both stand up, and horizontal racks/cases on my Kawasaki mule, but it is the dual seat model and I find I use the stand up rack more as I can remember to take the rifle in with me. I just strappen a heavy canvas saddle scabbard to the mesh behind the seats.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Maybe I should just settle on .22 LR Stingers. It would be a step up from high velocity, and they won't hurt the old Nylon 66.

I have a Savage 93R in .17 HMR. It has a heavy varmint barrel, though, and no iron sights.

·
Registered
819 Posts
This may be an odd post for a pistol forum, but I'm sure there are people here who know what I need to know.

Can anyone recommend a good horizontal gun rack for an EZGO gas cart? I have a Workhorse ST350 with a dump bed. I would like to take a rifle with me when I work around the farm. Nearly every animal that lives here needs to be shot for one reason or another. I don't like stand-up racks. I don't want them in the way of my feet.

Another question: what's a good all-around rifle for executing vermin? I have things ranging from squirrels up to coyotes, although I have never seen a coyote present itself for a shot. * ("raccoons" in case there is PC software censoring this site) are common. I have .22 rifles, but they seem weak for bigger pests. I have a 16-gauge, but I don't think the same #6 rounds that kill squirrels will do good work on koons. Perhaps I'm wrong. I have a .204 Ruger bolt rifle with a scope, but I was thinking something with iron sights would be nice because scopes can be a pain at short ranges.
Does that have handlebars like a motorcycle? If so look on the internet for handlebar mounted gun rack.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a small farm between Orlando and Gainesville. The cart is an E-Z-Go ST350 Workhorse, which is like a golf cart with a dump bed and a gas engine.

I only wish we had gators and the right to shoot them and deep-fry them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now I'm looking at .223 bolt guns. The Savage 110 Scout is nice. Comes with iron sights. The Ruger American Ranch is a lot cheaper. It looks like Nodak makes iron sights for it, but they are unavailable.

I have all sorts of .223 ammo, so this would be a good choice. The terminal performance on squirrels would make things easier for buzzards that don't like tearing up their own carrion. Since it's .223, it would also be useful for self-defense.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have the Ruger, and it is a good shooter!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
Personally, a lever gun in in a large pistol caliber would be my number one choice. I have a Winchester 94 Trapper model in 45LC. Light, quick, compact and it will dispatch pretty much anything here in the states with right load. Perfect truck gun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts