1911Forum banner

Horizontal Gun Rack for Gas-Powered Cart?

1K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Sergeant Pork 
#1 ·
This may be an odd post for a pistol forum, but I'm sure there are people here who know what I need to know.

Can anyone recommend a good horizontal gun rack for an EZGO gas cart? I have a Workhorse ST350 with a dump bed. I would like to take a rifle with me when I work around the farm. Nearly every animal that lives here needs to be shot for one reason or another. I don't like stand-up racks. I don't want them in the way of my feet.

Another question: what's a good all-around rifle for executing vermin? I have things ranging from squirrels up to coyotes, although I have never seen a coyote present itself for a shot. ***** ("raccoons" in case there is PC software censoring this site) are common. I have .22 rifles, but they seem weak for bigger pests. I have a 16-gauge, but I don't think the same #6 rounds that kill squirrels will do good work on koons. Perhaps I'm wrong. I have a .204 Ruger bolt rifle with a scope, but I was thinking something with iron sights would be nice because scopes can be a pain at short ranges.

#2 ·
Any MSR Modern Sporting Rifle will do for your varmints. Just get a 5.56 barreled carbine and it will shoot both 5.56and 223 ammunition. The prices aren't too bad right now and ammunition is fairly easy to find. I have a Ruger beater carbine with open sights I bang around in my Polaris Ranger. And I have a much nicer 16" barreled .223 Wylde chamber which is more accurate at distance. I use Frontier 5.56 ammunition in 62g Hornady SP or load my own 65g Sierra SP Varminst including coyotes are susceptible to death with the 223

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I have AR's in .204 and .223, and both have optics. The .223 has a red dot, and the the .204 has a 14x scope. I don't have much confidence in my ability to hit a squirrel with a red dot. I have not tried, however.

#6 ·
For mounting a gun case, I had a Mule with a roof and mounted gun cases one from each side across the back of the roof using Unistrut tubing, that way I could carry two rifles, a .17 Ruger and a 30-06 or shotgun. The .17 with scope is my favorite all around gun for just about everything from snakes, turtles, squirrels, rabbits, to hogs.

#9 ·
I have used .17 hmr, .22 lr, .22 mag, .223, .300 blackout, .41 mag, and .44 mag, on racoons. The best is the .22 mag, my .22lr had the worst "one shot kill," record, and the .22 mag was just slightly better than the .17 hmr. Also, .22 mag works okay on coyotes, within 100 yards. Ruger's American carbine is very handy, and you can use the iron sights, or put a cheap Simmons 22 mag scope on it. I have both stand up, and horizontal racks/cases on my Kawasaki mule, but it is the dual seat model and I find I use the stand up rack more as I can remember to take the rifle in with me. I just strappen a heavy canvas saddle scabbard to the mesh behind the seats.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#14 ·
This may be an odd post for a pistol forum, but I'm sure there are people here who know what I need to know.

Can anyone recommend a good horizontal gun rack for an EZGO gas cart? I have a Workhorse ST350 with a dump bed. I would like to take a rifle with me when I work around the farm. Nearly every animal that lives here needs to be shot for one reason or another. I don't like stand-up racks. I don't want them in the way of my feet.

Another question: what's a good all-around rifle for executing vermin? I have things ranging from squirrels up to coyotes, although I have never seen a coyote present itself for a shot. * ("raccoons" in case there is PC software censoring this site) are common. I have .22 rifles, but they seem weak for bigger pests. I have a 16-gauge, but I don't think the same #6 rounds that kill squirrels will do good work on koons. Perhaps I'm wrong. I have a .204 Ruger bolt rifle with a scope, but I was thinking something with iron sights would be nice because scopes can be a pain at short ranges.
Does that have handlebars like a motorcycle? If so look on the internet for handlebar mounted gun rack.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Now I'm looking at .223 bolt guns. The Savage 110 Scout is nice. Comes with iron sights. The Ruger American Ranch is a lot cheaper. It looks like Nodak makes iron sights for it, but they are unavailable.

I have all sorts of .223 ammo, so this would be a good choice. The terminal performance on squirrels would make things easier for buzzards that don't like tearing up their own carrion. Since it's .223, it would also be useful for self-defense.

#26 ·
Now I'm looking at .223 bolt guns.
If you can find one...
I really like mine. Plus it trips people out at the range when
you pull out a bolt action rifle and put a 30 rd mag in it.

#20 ·
Personally, a lever gun in in a large pistol caliber would be my number one choice. I have a Winchester 94 Trapper model in 45LC. Light, quick, compact and it will dispatch pretty much anything here in the states with right load. Perfect truck gun.

#21 ·
Lever actions have been serving in the roll of ranch rifle for well over a hundred years. They come in a wide variety of calibers and are fairly streamlined and compact. You could probably attach a good scabbard somewhere on the Workhorse. And I would think .357, 45 LC, 44 mag, etc., would take care of everything up to a coyote. Or you could go 30-30 but that seems like a bit much for squirrels.

Some mounting ideas...Also note that if you go to google images and enter "ATV Gun Rack," you'll get lots of pictures of possible solutions...

There's is also something like this that if you could get it mounted, you could then mount a rifle and any number of things to it. Note that this particular one is currently sold out. It's just an idea for reference.

#25 ·
Here's my method on our 100 acre hay farm. I like the shotgun, as I can load it for anything from bigfeet to doves and anything in between quickly. Flexibility required since it's unknown what it may be needed for out in the fields (in addition to the 3" SP101 or 1911 on my side). Mounting system has worked out very well, as I can also put a shovel in the rack* etc.

* This should not be construed as an admission of actual work. I am technically opposed to and allergic to hard work.

Attachments

#27 ·
I have been making an effort to clarify (to myself) exactly what I want to do. I think I should forget about squirrels. They are not likely to make themselves available while I am working and driving the cart. I can kill nuisance squirrels near the house just fine using a shotgun and shooting from a doorway. I don't care about tearing them up any more, because they are tiny and not worth the effort of cleaning.

I think I should concern myself mainly with chance sightings of c*oons, possums, rabbits, feral dogs and cats, and armadillos. I could conceivably nail a fox, but I can only kill them if they are menacing my livestock, and I don't have anything smaller than a cow right now. Coyotes never present themselves for a shot. I would have to sit in a blind all day. For that, I would use the .204.

Perhaps it's best to get some #4 shot for the Sweet Sixteen or maybe the Saiga 12 I never use.

I know just about nothing about shotguns. It only occurred to me today to look at the Browning's choke. The barrel that's installed has an improved cylinder, and I also have a full choke barrel. I suppose the full choke would be better, since I am blasting sitting squirrels up to 50 yards off. No idea what to do with the Saiga. I guess a full choke can be obtained.

The Saiga is butt ugly, but it holds lots of rounds, and I could put #6 in one magazine and #4 in another. Or #4 in one and buckshot in another, in case self-defense becomes an issue.

I ordered a Great Day rack. It's expensive, but it ought to solve the rack problem once and for all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.