1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got my reloading equipment set back up following a tornado 4 1/2 years ago. Since, I've purchased quite a bit of Hornady 22 Hornet factory rounds. The problem is that the Hornady brass has very small flash holes, a lot smaller than my Remington brass.

When I use my Lee collet neck sizer, the small flash hole retains my decapping pin. I'm leaning toward reducing the decapping pin diameter. Or should I select the proper # size drill bit and enlarge the flash hole? I'm thinking reducing decapping pin diameter would be a one time fix.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
I'm surprised that a sizing/decapping die for .22 Hornet doesn't have the proper size decapping pin. But, since that is the case, I'd "shoeshine" down the dia. of the pin.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm surprised that a sizing/decapping die for .22 Hornet doesn't have the proper size decapping pin. But, since that is the case, I'd "shoeshine" down the dia. of the pin.
The decapping pin works fine with the Remington brass but not with the Hornady brass with the smaller diameter flash hole. In fact, I went thru umpteen boxes and found my older Lee Collet die and same thing happened with it.

By chucking decapping stem in drill, would a standard mill file cut down the pin or would I need a diamond file?

Also, I'm wondering why Hornady would use a smaller diameter flash hole and if it would effect my primer selection? I normally use small pistol primers for the Hornet.

It'll be the end of next week before I can do anything since I'm leaving tomorrow with a friend to pick up a motor bike in Texas he has purchased.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I'd wager some Emery Cloth would do the job and would be a lot easier to control the amount removed.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Joe A.

I would use the method you stated, chuck the pin in a drill, and use the Emery cloth. The key is a little bit a time until you reach the goal. Be sure to keep the tip blunt so you don't "spear" the primers sticking them on the end of the pin like a sish-ka-bob. :)

Grumpy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts