1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced problems reloading .45 ACP on their Hornday Lock N Load progressive? Do you use Hornady or another brand of dies?

I've got a LnL progressive and I'm about to set up to load using Hornady dies and I've read online (with a grain of salt) about the LnL having problems loading .45 ACP and if that's true, I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

Thank you for your assistance in advance,

Dave in Oakwood, GA

·
Registered
228 Posts
I use RCBS dies in that combination, with a Pacific crimp die at station 5. I had to grind of a small portion of the outside of the crimp die to clear the cartridge ejector spring. That's the only problem I had that wasn't self-induced.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I load .45ACP, 10mm, and .40S&W, all on a Hornady LNL AP, all with Hornady dies, and Hornady crimp die in station 5. No problems here.

About two years ago, I read where Hornady shipped some No. 1 shell plates that were slightly off. They were promptly replaced.

·
Registered
195 Posts
No problems with several pistol and rifle calibers. I've loaded 1000's of rounds without a hitch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dave,

I've got my LnL since August. Up to a few weeks ago, I've had some problems that has been resolved with consultation from Hornady technical support. I'm now successfully loading 45ACP w/ RCBS dies, 200gr lead and plated SWC behind 5gr Win 231 and Win primers.

These were some problems I've had common to others.

- Primer system: not dispensing primers causing loaded rounds without primer. Resolved by setting primer slide guide rod back a few millimeters and polishing assembly with Flitz.

- Lee Factory Crimp Die: can't lower FCD low enough without interfering with case ejector spring. Resolved by backing up the die body and lowering the adjustment screw down all the way. Also I just got a Hornady crimp die.

- Cartridge ejection: not ejecting loaded round from station 5. Resolved by replacing bent ejector spring due to monkeying around with Lee Factory Crimp Die.

On the positive side:
- Automatic indexing
- Solid frame and without toolheads
- Large shellplate with room to work
- Accurate powder measure
- Fast die replacement w/ LnL bushing
- Optional case feeder to expand

I would buy it again without hesitation over a Dillon 550 or 650.

·
Registered
14,965 Posts
I use all sorts of dies, without modifcation to anything, on my Dillon 650. If you back out the FCD's die body, you're defeating the post-sizing feature.

·
Registered
27 Posts
WalterGC,

I've backed out the Lee FCD so it won't bend the ejector spring but it still is able to resize the case enough to remove the bulge around the bottom of the bullet. However I'm not utilizing the crimp feature. I've just purchase Hornady crimp die. My feeling is that this die will crimp but do less in the way of resizing.

·
Banned
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dounds like the .45 acp problem is prolly just a dillon owner spreading dillon propaganda again. I'll just start loading the .45 acp and not worry about it.

Thank you for your replies,

Dave in Oakwood, GA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts