1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on updating one of my loadmaster reloaders to a Hornady lock n load. Anyone have one of these and would give some pros and cons on how they work? Will my Lee dies work in this machine? How many rounds can you produce in an hour with/without case feeder. I plan on loading 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp, and 223. Thanks and Happy Holidays

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
New Reloader Here..

Jumped in with both feet and bought the LnL. Im glad I did. Originally I was going to get a Lee Turret. The LNL has been great. I move at a comfortable pace, I dont have to worry about manually indexing anything. I can load 200 rounds easily being a beginner in an hour. Extra Primer tubes would make it a little faster. My Bench (really a Desk) isnt 100% sturdy but it still works very well. (I reload in a spare bedroom of an apt and need a set up that can be taken down and set up easily. I mounted the press to a 2x6 and C-clamp it to the desk when needed)

I use Lee .45acp dies, and Hornady 9mm Dies(with a Lee FCD). Both work just fine. Buy extra bushings for your dies.

I do not have the casefeeder. If I shot 1K + a month, I would get a casefeeder and bullet feeder.

I have ~800 rounds through it so far and its been good. All of the powders that people say meter not so well, meter fine(solo 1000 is one). After making 10 meters or so, its set pretty well. I loaded 100 rounds + in one sitting and 2 days later it was still at 3.2 gr and then loaded 150rds and didnt have to adjust one bit.

Its a great press, Ive even had to call for a new part after muscling the primer seating assy and breaking the threads. They sent the part no questions asked and I had it in 2 days.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ve had mine about six months now and while it did take some time to fine tune it and figure out what works and what doesn’t, I can say that I’m very happy with it. I have loaded about 3000 rounds of .45acp with it so far and although I don’t have a case feeder on mine, 200 rounds an hour is no problem once you get in a rhythm.

The help I got from reading this forum was invaluable. I might still be struggling with a few things if it weren’t for some tidbits of info I picked up here. For instance, when I was using the Hornady seat/crimp die that comes in the three die set, I was having all sorts of feeding issues in my Les Baer 1911. Some of the good forum folks suggested that I get myself a Lee Factory Crimp Die and do my crimping separately. Problem solved, haven’t had a feeding issue since! :)

Another problem that I struggled with was the primer feeding system. It was constantly jamming on me and no matter how I adjusted the thing I couldn’t seem to get it to function properly. Spent some time on the phone with Hornady about this problem and the guy was sure it was an adjustment issue. I was about to give up on it when someone mentioned in a thread here that loosening the outer housing for the primer tube about a turn and a half might help, and wouldn’t you know it, no more primer feeding issues!:rock: I’ve been meaning to tell the good folks at Hornady about this one, maybe they can figure out why this works?:confused:

Anyway, with those problems solved, I am really pleased with the press. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Tonight I loaded 1000 rounds of 9mm in 2 hours and 45 minutes.

I have loaded about 40,000 rounds of assorted pistol cases. 9mm, 357Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Mag, and 45 ACP. The VAST majority has been 9mm and 40. I have not loaded rifle cases with this press.

It's a great press!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've had mine for a few years. I've loaded 115,000+ rounds documented. Had the set screws on the ram loosen up at 100,000 rounds. Sent it in and had a complete rebuild for the cost of shipping one way. I load everything from .380 to 300 WSM and you really need to bump the shoulders of the WSM for them to run in my Browning BAR.

Great press. Good metering. My friend had the Loadmaster for years, finally upgraded and is delighted.

As with all presses there is a tinkering set up process, but once dialed in they are great.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
I love mine. It is truly equal to the Dillon 650. The D has some better features than the H, and vice-versa. Still, I like the LNL primeing, indexing, powder drop, and color more. :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've had mine for about 7 months now. If I had to start over I'd buy the LnL again.

Used a 550b for a while (a friends) and it is a great machine. I just think I got a little more bang for my buck with the LnL.

1000 free bullets didn't hurt either. Nice bullets to.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm in love with mine. I use it almost every single night for a hour instead of watching the news. I knock out about 200, taking my time, then I load some primer sticks, throw some shells in my tumbler with a timer on it, clean it and I'm through for the night.

I loaded over 15,000 45's last year, add the 38's, 357's, 32-20's, 41mags, 44mags and every thing else and it paid for it self within the first couple of months.

The best thing about this press is it's real simple to set up and use. Once it's bolted down, it go's together in less than a hour that includes setting the dies and filling and adjusting the powder tube and the bushings on the dies are fantastic for changing calibers.

Right now I'm thinking about getting another one, just to use with small primers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Agreed, I really like mine also. Been running mine for about three weeks now. Although I only shoot about a thousand rounds a month, it makes my reloading time quick and easy. I don't need one but I think I'll go ahead and get the casefeeder just to make things a little more easy.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I really like mine. The two major problems are:

1. The priming system jams up if you don't tinker with it. This is very common gripe from Hornady owners. Another poster mentioned loosening the housing, which I haven't tried but sounds like a good idea. I filed the bottom of the primer feeders so they wouldn't hang up on the primer punch. That will make more sense to you once you look at the machine, but I don't have problems anymore.

2. You need to have rounds in all the lower numbered stations before the seater die will correctly perform. I'm not sure if this is unique to Hornady as I haven't used other progressives.

I would buy mine again. Hornady really shines if you like to load a lot of different calibers, but stands on its own against Dillon even if you don't. 1000 high quality bullets for the cost of shipping makes Hornady the no-brainer choice IMO, unless you don't like auto-indexing.

My 2 cents. Good luck. Either machine will make you happy.

Reid

·
Registered
36 Posts
my lnl

love it. i only load for 45acp and i use lee dies. once i set machine up--i just crank em out. i go slow though--usually no more than 200/hr. the 1000 rounds was icing on the cake.

:)

·
Registered
501 Posts
2. You need to have rounds in all the lower numbered stations before the seater die will correctly perform.
Reid
Can you explain how the seating die doesn't perform correctly. I can't say that I have ever noticed this before. How does it not work correctly?

I've had my LnL for about 9 months and love it. I did have a little problem with the small primer feed sticking, but that went away after 100 cycles or so. I figured there was probably a burr on the slider.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
2. You need to have rounds in all the lower numbered stations before the seater die will correctly perform. I'm not sure if this is unique to Hornady as I haven't used other progressives.
It makes no difference on my LNL...... I dont know what your problem could be......

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
powder cop

Do any of you using the lnl ap use a powder cop? If so do you seat and crimp at the same station? Is it easy to check visually without removing from the shell holder? Just wondering how to set up the press, as its not here yet its hard to imagine thats why I am asking you who already have one set up and running

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Do any of you using the lnl ap use a powder cop? If so do you seat and crimp at the same station? Is it easy to check visually without removing from the shell holder? Just wondering how to set up the press, as its not here yet its hard to imagine thats why I am asking you who already have one set up and running
Had a powder cop. Want to buy it? I now use the RCBS lockout die.

And you should have this http://powderfunnels.com/products.html

I have mine set up like this.

#1 resize/decap
#2 reprime
#3 powder measure with PTX
#4 bullet seater
#5 taper crimp

Also this handle http://ultimatereloader.com/?p=340

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Mine is:
1) resize and de prime
reprime on upstroke
2) case mouth expander
3) Powder measure
4) Powder cop
5) seat and crimp

Yes I can see the powder in the casing when looking down into it. With the cop, you can speed up and not strain to look for it. But you have to kind of train yourself to watch the powder cop with each stroke. After a few hundred rounds, it becomes natural.
When you set your dies up, I found it helpful to use my digital calipers to measure my casings before and after they went thru each stage, write it down so you can actually see the affect it has on the brass. Its easy to over do it with the adjustments till you know what your doing. A wilson case gage is a great thing to check your work with also. Some people almost had me talked into buying a Lee factory crimp die when I had some trouble adjusting my seat/crimp die, Someone else convinced me it was just a cure for an improperly adjusted die, turns out the were right, I took some more time and measured and its throwing out perfect rounds, each falling in and out of my wilson gage. Its a great machine when properly tuned!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I was planning on updating one of my loadmaster reloaders to a Hornady lock n load. Anyone have one of these and would give some pros and cons on how they work? Will my Lee dies work in this machine? How many rounds can you produce in an hour with/without case feeder. I plan on loading 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp, and 223. Thanks and Happy Holidays
I've loaded over 37,000 rounds of 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp and 38 on my LNL AP and am very happy with my purchase. (I no longer load 40 S&W)

I never go for speed but have cast 350 or so per hour. I take time to check powder weight and COAL periodically and only have one primer tube. I don't have the case feeder as I like to place each case in the shell holder after checking the case mouth for cracks and primer (looking out for small primer pockets on 45 ACP from range pick up brass).

I would think the Lee dies would work fine.

I did discover that my primer feeding (LPP) worked better after unscrewing the outer shroud. I haven't taken time to figure out why this works.

I've found that the COAL of the first round ejected is a thousandths or so shorter than following rounds. I think there is some spring in the press. Once the shell plate is full of rounds (being sized, belled and the powder dropped) the following rounds are the same COAL. IOW, fine tune your COAL adjustment after the shell plate is full.

I have the old style press with the ejector wire. I size & de-prime, bell, drop power, seat bullet and crimp in the last station with a Hornady taper crimp die. Looking in the case to check powder before placing a bullet and seating works fine with 9mm and 45 ACP. Not so well with .38's. I have everything to load .223 on the press but haven't loaded any yet as I'm still in the load development stage and use my Rockchucker for that.

I've found that W231 and Clays measures very accurately in the LNL powder measure.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I've had my LnL for just under a year. I've loaded a couple of thousand of .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .223, and have yet to load for my 30-06. Once I got things set up, no major issues. I use a both Hornady and Lee dies, nitride/carbide whenever possible. Knock on wood, I've had no failure to feed issues using the regular seating/crimping die. Set my press up:

Position
1 - Decap/sizer
- Primer seat (on the upstroke)
2 - Case mouth expander
3 - Case activated powder drop
4 - Powder cop
5 - Seating/crimping

Occasionally will have a primer misfeed when I get down to the last couple of primers. I'll pull the tube and file/sand it smooth on the bottom.

Great press and a heck of a bargain with the free bullets. Two thumbs up for the Hornady Lock-n-Load press and their customer service.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i'm confused...

Position
1 - Decap/sizer
- Primer seat (on the upstroke)
2 - Case mouth expander
3 - Case activated powder drop
4 - Powder cop
5 - Seating/crimping
I've got a new LNL set up but haven't used it yet, waiting on components. I'm confused by "priming on the upstroke". Can you explain that a little more? Don't you prime on the downstroke? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts