1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently utilize the CorBon Powerball ammo in my CCW (Sig P229 357sig) and am in the process of switching to a 1911 frame. I've read all the hype about the Hornady TAP ammo and would like some real feedback from anyone who has specifically had experience with both loads in the 45acp (Hornady vs Powerball)? On the range my experience with the Powerball is a mini "flame-thrower" and does a hell of a lot of damage and has a pretty big recoil to it. Does the TAP ammo feed as described (any malfunctions, etc.)? In my 357sig, I have NEVER experienced a feed jam with the Powerball, but now that I am going to the 1911 45acp, it's a whole new ballgame...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kimber CDP Compact

I purchased the Kimber CDP Compact a couple of months ago, added VZ Ultra Slim Gatorback Micarta Grips, and am getting a custom IWB Kydex Holster (KYTAC - local custom holster maker). Once the holster is complete, this will be my primary carry...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JTLs Kimber CDP Compact

Hey guys, here's a JPEG of my Kimber setup. The holster shown is one of my Mitch Rosen Custom Holsters (1 of 2) for my Sig P229 (no holster for the Kimber yet).
JTL CDP.JPG

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I'd take the TAp over PowerBall any day. My issue with Powerball and similar rounds is that they expand on contact with anything, auto glass, sheet rock, plywood, etc, etc. This in turn reduces penetration if you have to shoot through a barrier.

I personally prefer a quality conventional JHP, like TAP, Gold Dot, or HST.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hornady TAP vs Powerball

Good point... Any truth that the lip on the hollow point tends to hang in the feed ramp resulting in feed jams? As I have said, my long-term carry has been the Sig 229 and after 3000+ rounds of ammo, I have never experienced a jam or feed problem; however. I am learning that the 1911s tend to be finicky about certain types of ammo. So far I have merely put 480+ rounds down range with the Kimber CDP (break-in period) and have experienced a few feed problems during the first 200-250 rounds (as noted by Kimber until the gun "losened up"). It has become more reliable and certainly has losened up and performs nicely with ball ammo. Furthemrore, I keep hearing from various local enthusiast to only use 230 gr ball ammo! Fast-forward to the Hornady TAP ammo discussion as I am very interested in this round as long as there are some seasoned 1911 people that really feel good about the ammo. It's too easy to be lulled into gimmick looks of this new ammo - what's the real story? As for the Powerball that I have fired, please understand that all my experience is with 357sig and the Powerball is ultra-hot load with lots of recoil and doulbes as a serious flame thrower out of the muzzle of my gun. These atributes (on the range) make for a difficult 2nd & 3rd follow-up shot. Guess I am going to have to put a few boxes of the TAP down range and see for myself if this ammo works as well as the articles state.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts