1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I asked a short time ago "HST vs. HydroShok" and it was almost 100% HST.

Gonna be a while before I'm ready to buy enough to "outfit" all my 1911's with this.

Recent inventory shows the only 2 factory ammo's (in enough quantity) in my "ammo cabinet are Hornady ZombieMax 185 JHP and Remington 230 JHP Bulk box.

I value the forumite's opinions.

I'm tossed up because I believe in 230 gr bullets, but am having a "faith" problem in this particular bullet, and never quite had the faith in 185's to penetrate after expanding.

I'm open to suggestions and opinions. Thanks again. Tracy

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I haven't seen or heard about any ballistics testing with this round but it doesn't function worth a da*n in my Nork 1911 (5" govt).
I may have to try it in my RIA CS someday. I have had some good function from some 185gr XTP's that I have reloaded in the Rock but, again, no known ballistics test there either.
Like you, I prefer 230gr. Hydra-Shok in my FS, Golden Saber in the CS.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just googled "Hornady ZombieMax 185 ballistic gellatin test".

One of the more "known" youtube video'ers "Tnoutdoors9" did a test. Expansion was .783".....pretty good. Penetration was at 10". I'm not thrilled about that.

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
OK, I asked a short time ago "HST vs. HydroShok" and it was almost 100% HST.

Gonna be a while before I'm ready to buy enough to "outfit" all my 1911's with this.

Recent inventory shows the only 2 factory ammo's (in enough quantity) in my "ammo cabinet are Hornady ZombieMax 185 JHP and Remington 230 JHP Bulk box.

I value the forumite's opinions.

I'm tossed up because I believe in 230 gr bullets, but am having a "faith" problem in this particular bullet, and never quite had the faith in 185's to penetrate after expanding.

I'm open to suggestions and opinions. Thanks again. Tracy

If I was restricted to those two choices, I would choose the Hornady every time. I am NOT a fan of 185 gr. loads from anybody, but it is better than the Rem. stuff. Now, if it were 230 gr. Golden Saber, I'd take that over the Hornady.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
JMO,

But I think you've answered your own question. Personally, I would prefer the (almost certain) over penetration of the old-style 230 grain round over the iffy performance of the mentioned 185. At least you could be fairly confident that the 230 will pass through the vitals and do more damage as makes its way through.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JMO,

But I think you've answered your own question. Personally, I would prefer the (almost certain) over penetration of the old-style 230 grain round over the iffy performance of the mentioned 185. At least you could be fairly confident that the 230 will pass through the vitals and do more damage as makes its way through.
Yeah........ZombieMax rds are going back in their pretty little box. Winter is here and all I see are peeps with HEAVY clothing on.......But "I'm like this is NC, not frigging Alaska" Pansy thin skins here.

Guess I needed somebody to say out loud what I knew I was thinking.

I guess the real reason I was questioning this, was on my other thread "HST vs. HydraShoK", somebody said something (and I don't remember what the exact quote was) to the effect that they would trust premium factory jhp bullets over the "bulk" style bullets.

When I took inventory of what was in my "ammo cabinet", these 2 styles were the only jhp bullets I have on hand to cover all my 1911 needs.

I've got some partial boxes of some other "Premium" JHP's, but not enough "8+1" amounts to at least fill up the "in the gun mags".

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I have tried the old Remington 230 JHP in wetpack with good results. Granted, not calibrated gelatin, no 4 layers of denim, nor anything else "scientific". They all expanded. So did some handloads I made up with Winchester's very similar 230g JHP. Are they as good as any of today's "designer" hollowpoints? Certainly not. For me, if in doubt, I would "err" on the side of too much penetration, rather than too little. Especially this time of year.

Again, just my opinion.:)

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ZombieMax's are now safely resting in their pretty boxes until a later date and need. Remington 230 JHP's are now nestled nicely in their respective mags waiting for BG's.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm kind of new at firearms in general. What I have in my "defensive mags" for my SR1911 is Hornaday 200 grain XTP hollow-points. I also have in boxes 80 of those Hornaday rounds, 10 Speer 230? grain hollow-points, and 10 Hornaday Zombie 185 grain polymer-filled tips.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but my local stores seem to favor 200 grain hollow-points for .45 ACP.

One other thing--I think Hornaday should trademark the acronym "WBG" for their next new bullet design (for "Wastes Bad Guys").

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
The XTP is a very reliable feeder, but performance-wise it has been outpaced pretty well in recent years. I would personally stay away from 200 grain, because I have seen tests where it failed to perform as well as the 185 or the 230, but that's a personal decision. I'm sure the quality of the hit is still the most important factor.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't be cheap, go to Sgammo and buy a few boxes of decent 230 grain modern hollowpoints.

Never heard of SGAmmo before.....just went to their site. Pretty good prices for the stuff they have in stock.....pretty well stocked too. Saved in my favs for when I need/want to buy factory ammo (JHP's).

Thanks. Tracy

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Never heard of SGAmmo before.....just went to their site. Pretty good prices for the stuff they have in stock.....pretty well stocked too. Saved in my favs for when I need/want to buy factory ammo (JHP's).

Thanks. Tracy
SGAmo is good folks. I've spent 10s of thousands there over the years, never had an issue, Sam is good to respond to emails and is active on ar15.com in the industry forum if you want to check 'em out some more.

ETA: I just unpacked 3 more cases of WWB and it's worth mentioning that SG actually packs the cases inside of boxes, not just a shipping label on the case and in the truck. Keeps the boxes clean and not all beat up..

·
Registered
86 Posts
zombie whatever- 185 JHP is a much better load on my 3 45's 2- 1911 Govt and one Glock- the 230 FMJ jams but the 185jhp is smooth and since I carry for CCW I dont care about ballistics etc- the JHP does the most damge and thats all I care about

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I don't mean this in a sarcastic way at all, but any 1911 should run 230 grain FMJ. It might be worth checking your extractor tension or taking a look at your magazines because it will make your gun much less picky with ammo if you get it tuned properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts