1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

What do you guys think of the new shooters in the sport that are winning our Area matches?

How about Blake Miguez, that guy is fast! Do you think he has the potential to be a world champion one day? He did beat Mr. Jarrett at the FL. Open last year. I think Matt Burkett has been teaching Blake, GREAT JOB MATT!

Please reply soon.

Later
Boo

·
Registered
625 Posts
I haven't seen him shoot enough to decide. He'll definitely make a name for himself.

I hate to see successful hosers. I know a guy that is extremely fast and wins quite a bit, but he couldn't tell you how he shot a target if you asked him. He points, squeezes, and has an uncanny quickness.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Blake is on the edge of as fast as possible. Have you seen him on Matt B's Vol. 4? Probally gonna see more crash and burns from him but it'll be fun to watch. A little more control and I could see him at the top. I think in the new FS he beat Todd somewhere else. Awesome...

Jim

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,067 Posts
One of my shooting buddies has gone from D to GM in two years. When I started, the conventional wisdom was "get your hits, speed will come with time". In the last three or four years, I think that has changed to "Guys who have ungodly fast splits will learn to hit", and that seems to be the case. This guy has had .13 splits from the get-go, and it just took him a while to get control of his speed. I might still be able to beat him on a 50yd standard, but anywhere else he is seconds faster; and accuracy on 25yd standards doesn't win matches. If he was eighteen, instead of in his early 30's, I'd say he was certainly going to be a contender for national championships, and he might be, anyway. As long as fast hits at short/moderate range wins matches, that's what kind of shooters we'll see winning.
Maybe all regional and national championships should have a 50yd. stage? Would it matter?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I like the 50 yard standards that matches used to have..it really seemed to seperate out the field..

I have seen more fast guys learn to hit more accurately sooner than accurate guys learn to speed up. For longevity in the sports you have to learn to shoot accurately quickly..it seems the people that are not able to combine those two things either stay in the same class year after year or move on to other things.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I guess you guys do know that Blake now has the highest Limited USPSA classification?

Yeah I know Miguez is known for his raw speed and wide open attitude. Still, do you think he would be winning major matches if he couldn't make long and tight shots? I think he has a lot of talent.

As for the current breed of hosers being successful, that has more to do with couse design than anything else. Like it or not (and I don't like it) the trend is high round count arm's length hosing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hear you on that one. There seems to be a thought out there that if your super fast you probally can't make the tough shots. Im not sure thats true. In Blakes case it doesn't look to be true.

When I read Brian Enos's book he write's alot about Robbies start in IPSC. From what I read it would seem that Rob L. was quite the hoser at one time. I don't have the book in front of me so if this quote isn't perfect correct me but I think it went like this. A young Rob L. says to Mickey Fowler " I can learn to shoot more accurately but you'll never learn to shoot as fast as me". This was at the Steel Challege. I believe the next year Rob smoked everyone.

I think it's great to see some young blood come out and give the old guys a workout. It shows the sport is growing. TJ, Rob and Jerry can't continue to rule forever. Soon it'll be Eric, Blake and JJ or Travis, Adam and Max. I forget the young guys name that shoots for Limcat. Oh I left out Dave but come on he shoots a Glock.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Jim, it's KC Eusebio. Seeing these guys shoot in person is nothing short of amazing. You truly get an appreciation for it once you realize that they're seeing the same thing you are, only two or three times faster.

I gotta work on speeding up my neural impulses. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
625 Posts
I love to watch Rob shoot. It's like poetry in motion. To me he doesn't look any faster than anyone else, but he is so smooth and accurate he turns in those unbelievable time. I've got a DVD a friend made from this years IDPA nationals. He squadded with Rob so he video taped himself (expert), another buddy (marksman), and Rob. He put them in the same order each time and you get to watch 3 classes of shooters shoot the same sixteen stages. Its pretty good to watch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts