1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who manufactures the hottest competition 9mm?
STI? Does Springfield do any voodoo in their custom shop?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've heard the loaded SA's in 9mm are a joy to shoot once they get dialed in. Finicky lil' buggers, though (at least that's the rumor).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love mine. It doesn't like Black Hills ammo. Black Hills 9mm is long with a pointy end that wants to jam onto the feed ramp.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "hottest". Must be the generation gap. If you are referring to who makes a good 9mm 1911 then I can recommend SA. There is no need for a Custom Shop gun. The stock gun is better than your shooting ability. My SA is certainly better than my ability. I have not had any feed problems at all. I use CMC 38 Super mags. I do use an OAL of 1.165", but it seems to feed 1.135" OK.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Listen to that little voice in your head...STI...STI...STI...

Seriously, I've got my STI 40 after lots of scrimping and saving and love it. One of the best built 1911s I've ever handled. Get the widebody frame so you can be labled a gamer and hang out with all the cool people

Springfields are sweet to(I've got one of their 45s) but no where near the STIs. The can however, be tuned by a novice into something special...

·
Super Moderator
7,889 Posts
Competition, as in IDPA or IPSC?

IDPA go with a Springfield or a STI. STI bushing barrel Eagle gets my vote.

IPSC don’t go with a 9x19. Get a 40.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've shot a 70 series 9mm,and a springfield 9mm loaded and never had a problem with either,although I only use hardball ammo for competition. In fact I'm on my way to shoot a match and i'll be using a 60's 38 super with a 9mm colt barrel. Works fine.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Not to start a grand debate or anything...

But if you really want the "hot" setup for IDPA SSP class or IPSC production class, then the pistol is the Glock 34.

A single-action 9mm pistol is a handicap in IPSC. It is VERY hard to be truly competitive with one, because of the rules.

In IDPA, a single-action 9mm is a good gun in ESP class and any 1911-style gun in 9mm is a good choice, bushing barrels only -- bull barrels are against the rules.

------------------
Byron Simpson

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had a Springfield 9x19 1911 and it shot great....used it in ESP class in IDPA....got tired of it and spent twice as much on a Les Baer PPC Distinguished Match 9x19. The Baer is a better gun but not worth twice the price. Get the Springfield although I was told they have been out of production for several years unless they brought them back! Double taps with a 9x19 5" 1911 are like a video game!!! Fast and minimal recoil. The gun just seems to be there for that second shot!!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
You all should know that gbever is a disguised Albanian, living here in hiding from the law on planet Zork. He pretends to like guns (even Glocks) and Harleys, but in reality, he cross dresses and plays w/ sick people's teeth.He goes to Daytona in the Winter under the pretext of Bike Week, when in reality, he is scoping out future dental problems among the masses in an effort to steal their fillings later.So, no matter what he posts here, be very leery, most of it is code to all the other Albanians hiding out here.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm in the process of building a 6" long slide, hi cap 9mm. Using a Para frame, Caspian slide and BarSto barrel. I have plenty of hi cap 38 super mags I'm using in my 9mm spacegun and I bought 6 10 rd 9mm mags to save my hi caps on the limited round stages. Just waiting for the barrel from BarSto right now. As soon as it comes in, I'll be ready for stock class in Montrose.

------------------
KEEP SHOOTIN' PINMAN www.bcarmory.com

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here is a photo of my Para. Bear in mind this is a work in progress.

It will be mirror polished blue when it's finished. Haven't decided if I'm going to checker the front strap or not. I'll wait and see how it shoots. Hopefully it will shoot soft enough it won't need checkering.

------------------
KEEP SHOOTIN' PINMAN www.bcarmory.com

·
Registered
205 Posts
So let me see, I want to take a 9mm and make it heavy and long? Why? I don't understand that at a 130 PF.

I will put up a picture of my SVI 9mm in the morning. Light, short, and awesome! You can't even feel it when your carrying it and it is incredible to draw.
You can shoot it in IDPA Enhanced or IPSC Limited (minor) and at the Steel Challenge in both divisions.

------------------
Matt Burkett
http://www.mattburkett.
com
480-949-1553

·
Registered
113 Posts
>Using a Para frame, Caspian slide and >BarSto barrel. I have plenty of hi cap 38 >super mags I'm using in my 9mm spacegun and >I bought 6 10 rd 9mm mags to save my hi >caps on the limited round stages. Just >waiting for the barrel from BarSto right >now. As soon as it comes in, I'll be >ready .for stock class in Montrose.
>------------------
>.KEEP SHOOTIN' PINMAN www.bcarmory.com

All this to get ready for STOCK class? Nothing personal it sounds like a real cool gun but it would be funny if it wasn't so rediculous.

This is exactly why I wouldn't shoot STOCK class there and I'm probably not alone in this.

JJ

[This message has been edited by JJ (edited 11-27-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
7,889 Posts
JJ, Stock class is just a name. Maybe Limited Class or Iron sight class would be better.

People who have been shooting IPSC for a while still call Limited guns, Stock guns.

Production division might be a better division for you to play in. Allowed mods are minimal.

Its a game, anything you can do within the rules to gain an advantage, is fair.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

1 - 20 of 25 Posts