1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
House bill seeks to improve officers' permit to carry concealed firearms

Press Release provided by Congressman J. Randy Forbes

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Congressman J. Randy Forbes (VA-04) introduced public safety legislation that will promote the responsible use of firearms in the United States by reforming regulations on retired law enforcement officials’ right to carry concealed weapons. The bill, the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2007 (H.R. 2726), will modernize federal firearms laws to ensure that individual liberties are upheld and public safety is protected.

“This bill will work to enact common sense provisions while concurrently promoting safety in federal firearms laws. It’s important that trained law enforcement officials have the ability to handle emergency situations, regardless of their location and duty status,” said Forbes. “Retired law enforcement officers who have served admirably should be allowed to better protect themselves and their families from vindictive criminals and other public safety threats.”

Under current law, retired law enforcement officers must carry the required documents, including state-issued documentation verifying the officers' firearms qualifications, in order to carry a concealed firearm. However, some states have refused to issue this documentation. This legislation would provide an alternative to a state-issued document and would allow retired law enforcement officers to carry a certification from a firearms instructor stating that they meet the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training as established by the regulating agency in that state. This would allow retired members of law enforcement that left their agency in good standing to carry a concealed weapon.

Additionally, this bill would amend federal criminal code to include Amtrak and executive branch police officers as qualified law enforcement officers eligible to carry concealed firearms.

Congressman Forbes is the Ranking Member of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security. To learn more about what the Congressman’s work on crime, visit: http://forbes.house.gov/issues/crime.htm

My e-mail to the powers that be.

Please send one yourself.

Thanks

Sir;
Please support this.

I am a retired federal police officer and a retired 1SG US Army.

Introduced legislation to ensure retired law enforcement officers can carry firearms. Congressman Forbes introduced the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act Improvements Act, H.R. 3752, which permits qualified, retired law enforcement officers to carry a concealed weapon in other jurisdictions in order to increase public safety. The bill also covers retired Amtrak officers, executive branch officers, and Federal Reserve officers.
http://forbes.house.gov/Issues/Issue/?IssueID=3341

Thank you for your time.
James Kelly

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Excellent bill.

This is one of those bills that corrects what should just be commonsense anyway.

·
Registered
388 Posts
:hrm: Some are more equal than others.

IMHO, legislation is needed to clear the air for all people bearing arms, not a specific employment segment of the population. :grumble:

·
Premium Member
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:hrm: Some are more equal than others.

IMHO, legislation is needed to clear the air for all people bearing arms, not a specific employment segment of the population. :grumble:
It's a begining; again.

:)

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
So why not a bill for everone???? LEO retired or not are no better to have there permits upgraded than regular folks!!
The bill is BS unless it includes everone... It also implys one group of people are more important than others....
Kind of like the Laws or Congressmen writes for us and exempts thereselfs from..

·
Registered
388 Posts
It's a begining; again.
I understand your point but as I posted in the Brit + more armed police thread, I think it's a bad idea. Sure, it seems all well and good but it, IMHO, does just like I posted in the other thread. It delays the removal of infringement for all gun owners. As long as it is a PITA for us and a PITA for individual LE officers then we have a common problem.

I'm just sayin'... :hrm::grumble:

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don't agree with this now and never did. They are no better than we are. Our family's lives are just as important as theirs. Pass a law that mandates carry permits must be honored anywhere including the non issue states and let them get a carry permit just like the rest of us non elite citizens. Not wanting to bash retired or current law enforcement but they are just citizens when out of their jurisdictions and should be treated the same as the rest of us.

They already are required to accept our drivers license and insurance in other states carry permits should be no different.

My 2 cents which ain't worth much.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Here, I'll break it down as I see it:

Congressman J. Randy Forbes (VA-04) introduced public safety legislation that will promote the responsible use of firearms in the United States by reforming regulations on retired law enforcement officials’ right to carry concealed weapons.
What RIGHT do retired law enforcement officers have that the rest of us do not?!?! :confused:

Notice the word, "right."

The bill, the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2007 (H.R. 2726), will modernize federal firearms laws to ensure that individual liberties are upheld and public safety is protected.
What INDIVIDUAL LIBERTIES do retired law enforcement officers have that the rest of us do not?!?! :confused:

Notice the words, "individual liberties."

said Forbes. “Retired law enforcement officers who have served admirably should be allowed to better protect themselves and their families from vindictive criminals and other public safety threats.”
What about the rest of us and those public safety threats?!?! :confused:

We aren't subject to public safety threats as well or we aren't 'special' enough to be able to protect ourselves?

Under current law, retired law enforcement officers must carry the required documents, including state-issued documentation verifying the officers' firearms qualifications, in order to carry a concealed firearm.
While the rest of us go to prison if we carry in the wrong state.

However, some states have refused to issue this documentation.
Funny enough, they refuse to issue this documentation to the rest of us as well. Accordingly, officers can do like the rest of us; take your legal chances or don't go armed.

FWIW, unless the federal government is going to follow "shall not be infringed" then they can pound sand before I would back any such special 'rights' that impose federal power over state power. :barf:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
What would or Fore Father's think of a Bill like this ? I got a good idea!

The bill in question IMHO is a way to slowly start the process of more gun control..
One of the master plan's of the anti gunners is to separate and convice LEO retired and otherwise that there gun rights will not be touched. That way the anti gunners hope the LEO will be more on there side when anti gun laws and rules or bans come up and need to be enforced and obeyed by Civilans.

To the OP we are all on the same side . Please stay on the side of the 2ND.
The 2ND applys to all Citizens not just one group. I have no doubt our Fore Fathers would agree...

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Thank You for that Thread topic, it is about time they did the right thing for the LEO that spend 20 years or more Protecting are Communities. I hope it Passes with Flying Colors...............

Clyde

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
JME;This topic is now double posted on LEO Duty sub-section as well

Wonder Why?:biglaugh:

·
Registered
388 Posts
A right is not earned by service... a privilege might be but not a right.

If they want their rights back let them fight for it with the rest of America, IMHO.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here, I'll break it down as I see it:

What RIGHT do retired law enforcement officers have that the rest of us do not?!?! :confused:

Notice the word, "right."

What INDIVIDUAL LIBERTIES do retired law enforcement officers have that the rest of us do not?!?! :confused:

Notice the words, "individual liberties."

What about the rest of us and those public safety threats?!?! :confused:

We aren't subject to public safety threats as well or we aren't 'special' enough to be able to protect ourselves?

While the rest of us go to prison if we carry in the wrong state.

Funny enough, they refuse to issue this documentation to the rest of us as well. Accordingly, officers can do like the rest of us; take your legal chances or don't go armed.

FWIW, unless the federal government is going to follow "shall not be infringed" then they can pound sand before I would back any such special 'rights' that impose federal power over state power. :barf:
What he said....

·
Registered
509 Posts
Good.
Now, we just need to get everyone the same rights...

"We already let retired LEOs do it, without passing a qual every 6 months. It's time to give every law-abiding citizen the same rights."

·
Premium Member
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is addressed to only some of you.

I hate to say this, but you guys just aren’t as smart as the gun grabbers.

They pick every little piece they can; every time they can.

You all sit back on your fat behinds and go on and on about if everyone can’t have it no one can.

I almost might think you’re gun grabbers incognito or just not very smart.

:(

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
master_gunner, I don't see what you might have a problem with.

These guys are rightly asserting that retired LEOs have no more rights than the rest of us nor should they have more rights than the rest of us.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Over the last few bills there have been bills to allow recipricocity of CCW permits nationwide. They have failed. There have been efforts for retired military to carry concealed nationwide, it has failed. Over the last 10 years there has been an effort to allow current and honorably retired LEO's to carry nationwide. It has failed too, until finally in 2004 it pass; thanks in large part of a decade long lobbying effort by the Law Enforcement Alliance of America. www.leaa.org. This bill now is just cleaning up that bill because some states did not follow the spirit of it. Those that argue cops are being treated special or are sounding -like if I don't get mine nobody should, seem not to understand: it is a start.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts