1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Do ALL of you carry cocked & locked, or do you guys do the Israeli draw?

I know the Israeli draw isn't the greatest thing if you're carrying concealed in public and stuff, but if you're at home and you're handling your firearm/holster/pants and have more advnace warning of a BG coming (a breaking windor or doorbell or barking dog at least) and would have the time to chamber a round, does carrying unchambered around the house have its merits? Or is chambered always best? Thanks.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Personally, I see no reason to limit myself with the extra amount of time it would take to ready my weapon just because I feel safer in my own home than I do on the street.

I can see no benefit to this type of carry for anyone comfortable with how the 1911 works, and if you aren't comfortable with how the 1911 works, I wouldn't recommend carrying one anywhere.

If anything, the extra warning being in my own home might afford me would be better spent arming myself with a weapon a little more "persuasive" than my .45... what that's going to be is another argument entirely.

------------------
"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."
-- James Thurber

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
It is a good idea - what ever way you carry - that it be the same way at all times if possible. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for a hiccup. I would treat "in the house" the same as "out". You never know when you might have reason to step outside, how often, or what emergency might arise. And afterall, that's what pistols are for. As already mentioned, any warning, and it's time to fetch a suitable weapon of choice.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Try searching the site and you will find most of what you need without asking a question that has been asked or discussed in various forms.

There are a bunch of threads concerning carrying at home as well as many more on carrying in various conditions (1,2,3 etc.). In fact, there is one particular thread on Israeli versus cocked and locked carry.

If you pose your question in a different manner, you might get significantly more insight. Start off by telling the other members why you think "Israeli" carry would be better for the home than cocked and locked since you know from have seen the numerous threads that cocked and locked is the most efficient method of carry for a 1911.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
It is folly to try to tailor the state of readiness of one's weapon to match some sort of artbitrary guess as to the likelyhood of trouble. If you need it at all, you'll need it badly...whether at home or in an urban alley at 0300.

At home, one's layers of security may be such that one doesn't need to wear one's sidearm. If the situation is such that a sidearm ought be worn, I can think of nothing positive about making it more cumbersome to bring into action.

Rosco

·
Registered
75 Posts
If it ever hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training. Like one of the previous replies pointed out, whatever you do it MUST be the same everytime, or you'll "forget" something critical in the heat of the moment.

Your training should be a minimum of once a month, preferably some sort of handgun competition. (Plinking at a range involves no stress and is therefore time wasted.)
There are no forms of handgun competition out there using 1911s that practice anything other than "cocked & locked" from the holster. If you try to do it any other way, you won't be competitive.

Regards
Bob Hunt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gents,

We train our personnel to carry "cocked and locked/condition one. It's NOT about gamesmanship...it's about survival! If you take a hit you can still manipulate the firearm with either hand(practice this)and it's faster to get into action. Do you really want to try some tricky condition 3 load procedure when wounded? Not to mention it is more complicated AND slower.
Remember, the 1911 has three safeties build in(four for the series 80 guns). Use the grey matter between your ears and you have four/five.
Those that teach condition 3 carry do so because they don't take the time to properly train their personnel.
Take the time to learn your weapon, carry it, and become comfortable with it...train, train, train!
Condition 3 is suitable for home, only. Personally condition one is fine. YOU must ensure no unauthorized access to you pistol at all times anyway...

Wes Howe
Willamette Small Arms Academy

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
It has always baffled me as to why one would carry a firearm intended for personal defense in a manner that makes said gun less than ready. As Rosco said "If you need it at all, you'll need it badly..." I don't see any point in making a bad situation even worse. At home, on the street, or wherever for personal defense Condition 1 is the only way to go.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Jeff, first, anyone that would invade an occupied dwelling is usually after more than the family silver. This/these home invaders are not the most stable people in the world. Some do it for kicks, and the pattern normally escalates, sometimes to physical violence.

For me, I can see no reason not to be as prepared at home as I am on the street, and I would never carry a chamber empty gun on the street. Note the word 'carry', and just as on the street, my gun/s are on my person in the home. Guns are not left unattended in my home at any time. GLV

·
Registered
21 Posts
Whow! Whow because all the above posts agree. A very unusual event. In any case, I also agree with all of the above. Carry in your house as you would any where else. I carry ALL the time in my home. And I mean condition 1.

Frog

[This message has been edited by Frog Morton (edited 11-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Frog Morton (edited 11-26-2001).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 45 sits C&L in my magazine rack next to my chair in the parlor. If I'm in the back of the house, a Winchester 1300 Defender 12 gauge sits ready for unwanted guests. I am fortunate in that I no longer have any children in the house (all grown up). Just me, the wife, and the dog. I would suggest that a plan be formulated in the event that you have to defend yourself and your family in your home. You would not want a family member suddenly coming out of a room at the sound of a gunshot and end up in the line of fire! What would happen if a round penetrated an interior or exterior wall? You have to determine, based on your particular environment, what plan would work best for you! Unfortunately there is no way to determine what would happen in an actual armed intrusion. But I believe thinking ahead might prevent a serious accident.

"The bad guy dies, everybody else lives Happily Ever After!"

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
Another vote for keeping it in the same mode at all times. Just because you're in your home is no guarantee that you'll have an extra second to rack the slide, let alone an additional two seconds or so to fumble with it before you remember that it's not in the same condition you usually carry it in.

As for making it safer to keep at home, your home defense pistol doesn't belong on top of the entertainment center, the china cabinet, the reficerator, the end table, or the nightstand (unless you're in bed, asleep); there is no guarantee you'll be close to one of those places when you need to grab it, or be close enough to prevent unauthorixed personnel (children, etc,) from gaining access to it. It belongs in the same place you normally carry it; on your body. Any handguns not on your person should be unloaded and locked away.

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

·
Registered
685 Posts
I carry C&L at the house with one (obvious) precaution: that I make damn sure I only practice in a room with no ammo present. My wife will disarm me and kick my butt if I have an ND (and rightfully so).

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

[This message has been edited by El Roto (edited 11-27-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts