1911Forum banner

House generator, thoughts.

8786 Views 203 Replies 84 Participants Last post by  Swift1
I'm sure this has been discussed before but, since going thru Hurricane Ian ( I'm in North Port, Florida ) and haven't had electricity from FPL since Wednesday. At least I have my Miller ( welder/generator) Big Blue 400 for a power source. Its not wired into the panel, just a couple of cords running power to refrigerators and powering up phones and laptops. What are you thoughts on "whole house" generators, gasoline, propane or diesel?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Automotive tire
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,857 Posts
we wanted a 7.5 kw generac when we responded to the ad. we had a 5.5 kw gas generator but storing gas( and then not using it) was getting old. ( our cars require 93 octane, the generator used 87). I gave th e gas generator to a friend who had his circuit breaker panel wired already.

we ended up with a 22 kw generac natural gas genset. was hit with the remnants of Ida the next day-- it worked perfectly. our neighborhood lost power when it was 10 below last winter--we had heat and power. again worked perfectly.

you get whole house power without lifting a finger. you have to pay to have a monitor service( your installer monitors the system and the system tells them if there is an issue) as well as yearly oil and filter changes. still worth it !

· Registered
3,857 Posts
I have a friend in North Port. I'm in NJ. I have a 9500 portable in an enclosure that I can plug in the side of the house and power everything in the house. Have to kill the main on the panel, lock it off and flip on the 50amp for the generator. Might be better for you to get the 22000 like Bill has. You need that much to initally power everything up.
there are great panels out there that make it easy to switch over to agenset. I was able to pick and choose where the power went when we had only 5.5 kw. cold food, warm house and hot showers were the priority

· Registered
3,857 Posts
Fyi- re:93 octane - if your cars fuel are computer controlled- you can SAFELY run 87. The computer senses the octane difference and adjusts timing to compensate. Your $ savings will exceed the minute loss if power. If your cars are older- ex: 93 Cadillac- I ran 87 in mine and bought octane booster when it was on sale - avg 2$ bottle and added abottle every other fill up. Never pinged. Auto mfgs high octane to get the best mpg and power to put on the sticker.
so- burn that 87
thanks for the info. mine is a 2018. I will try what you suggest

1 - 3 of 3 Posts