1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed before but, since going thru Hurricane Ian ( I'm in North Port, Florida ) and haven't had electricity from FPL since Wednesday. At least I have my Miller ( welder/generator) Big Blue 400 for a power source. Its not wired into the panel, just a couple of cords running power to refrigerators and powering up phones and laptops. What are you thoughts on "whole house" generators, gasoline, propane or diesel?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Automotive tire

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get a nice solar panel and a battery rack for the same cost.

At least you can use that everyday.
Thats something I didn't think about! Its only been a few times in 22 years I lost power here. I dont think a 22K generator is in my pay grade. Really just need lights and refrigerator, fans and power up devices. But going to look at Generic and Solar back up.

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I bought a 1,3000 surge watts PTO set that runs off of my Kubota Diesel tractor. Got the unit about seven or eight years ago and it runs like a champ. It will run everything in the house. And it only uses a little over a gallon of off road diesel per hour. So I am looking at +/- three bucks an hour to run it. And with the two 275 gallon tanks that I keep in the barn I can run for half a day for weeks at a time. We shut it off at night. No Ac required at night here even in the summer and the wood stoves provide plenty of heat. I looked at the Generacs and other units, but the gas consumption was very high.
I have been very happy with this less than two thousand dollar unit. Treated Diesel keeps about forever and is very efficient. If I did not have a tractor I would go with a Kohler Diesel unit for sure.

Yeah, my Miller (welder generator) BB400 has a Catapilar 1.5 turbo diesel, that thing is stingy on the fuel. It is using less than a 1/4 gallon per hour, granted its only running my refrigerator, the neighbors and a few laptops and smart phones. Just a little loud, also its a killer welder...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts