1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
924 Posts
Have a whole house Generac and a big propane tank, a wonderful thing. Power goes down and in just 15 seconds it is back on. Had a gas generator before and you could get by with it, but there was a lot of fooling around switching from one appliance to another and positioning it where it would be hard to steal but also CO safe. Was without a generator in Y2K and lost power for nearly a week in the suburb of a major city. Never again. Still have the gas and a new dual fuel as well. Even with the whole house machine, you still have to reset all the clocks and timers.:)

· Registered
924 Posts
Get a nice solar panel and a battery rack for the same cost.

At least you can use that everyday.
The sun don't always shine, even here in Montana. Today is the last of 3 rainy days! And the wind blows without a hurricane. Threw a metal and glass patio dining table fifteen or so yards and shattered it. Been using this generator 5 years without an issue. Just had it overhauled, good for the next 3 at least. I'll get it serviced sooner next time, they suggest every 2-3 years.

· Registered
924 Posts
The Generac test runs and charges the battery every Monday morning. All you need to do is replace the battery when it starts to get close to end of life and you are good. No, other than as a VERY satisfied customer, no connection!

· Registered
924 Posts
I have an 8KW Generac that is natural gas powered. It will also run on propane without modifications. I haven’t added the plumbing to use propane, but it’s a pretty simple thing. We had a EF-5 tornado come through our little town in 2011. My house wasn’t damaged, but a block away was total devastation. Looked like it has been carpet bombed. The power went off and the generator kicked off and never skipped a beat. Until, the gas company shut off the main. There must have been 1000 houses ripped off their foundations, and most of them had a gas line. Took about two weeks to get power back. Got gas back at the same time. We lost power for 28 hours last month after a severe thunderstorm. The generator kept us in lights, tv, fans etc.,but no AC. In winter, the generator will operate the gas heat. If I had it to do over, I’d have installed a bigger generator. But it was installed in 1999, in anticipation of Y2K.
I would love to have city gas and a tank crossover, but live way out in the country. As uncertain as things are, am considering a larger tank, or another linked in series. I've seen that, but don't know the details.

· Registered
924 Posts
I bought a 1,3000 surge watts PTO set that runs off of my Kubota Diesel tractor. Got the unit about seven or eight years ago and it runs like a champ. It will run everything in the house. And it only uses a little over a gallon of off road diesel per hour. So I am looking at +/- three bucks an hour to run it. And with the two 275 gallon tanks that I keep in the barn I can run for half a day for weeks at a time. We shut it off at night. No Ac required at night here even in the summer and the wood stoves provide plenty of heat. I looked at the Generacs and other units, but the gas consumption was very high.
I have been very happy with this less than two thousand dollar unit. Treated Diesel keeps about forever and is very efficient. If I did not have a tractor I would go with a Kohler Diesel unit for sure.

Great idea! Got the tractor, but a lot less fuel than you have. Might get the small one just to have power when wanted at remote places on the property. Thanks!

· Registered
924 Posts
The smaller one, 7,800 KW I think it is would give to a pretty good source of efficient power. Mine has been trouble free since day one. Run it once in a while and have changed the oil once. And if you use your tractor regularly you know that it will run as well. Those 275 gallon diesel tanks usually can be found d second hand fairly cheaply. That is how I got both of mine. You just have to get ones that are in decent shape and not full of something. Sometimes easier said then done. I would keep it stored in a dry place though.
Got a 125 gallon poly tank in the machine shed. Bought for a project I since abandoned. Will have to check the specs at Tractor Supply to see if it can handle diesel. Typical year, unless we get drifted in, I probably use 20 gallons. Probably have to put up a little shed for it, the machine shed is too close to the well.

· Registered
924 Posts
While we don't have hurricanes here in Utah we do lose power on occasion and we just try to keep the essentials going with a Honda 7000i generator. Last time I had four cords running to four houses just to keep essentials going for us and neighbors. We have a wood burning stove in the basement for heat and gas appliances. The worst outage we had about 8 years ago was five days. I would love a whole home system with switchover like many of you have but it is probably overkill for us. All the best to those recovering from Ian. That was one monster storm.
Have to laugh, for most of us it isn't a whole lot different than carrying a gun. People in either case need to provide for local conditions!

· Registered
924 Posts
We have a 22k Generac run on NG. It was installed a few years ago incase my wife had to do home dialysis. Praise God her kidneys stabilized and then got a bit better. We have had two weather events where the generator ran for several days. If you have to use propane, check on how much tank rental costs vs buying the tank outright.
Can't recall the gallons, I think 500, but 8' long. Out here in Montana, Rental $75 per year.

· Registered
924 Posts
I should have included our runs on NG. If NG stops flowing I would imagine the collapse of society as we know it maybe right behind. Then you have a whole host if other issues to deal with besides a loss of power.
As mentioned earlier, you can run them on Natural Gas or LP. During the Nazi blitz on England the gas lines were often broken in London, it was not the end of the the world as we know it. In any case, I would just as soon live in the modern world as long as I can, eating from the freezer, processing and adding game, and having ice in my last drink!

· Registered
924 Posts
I really don't give a rats about cost. I can scrimp on other things. When the power goes down, and just some seconds later, it is back from the generator, it is great. My house is very well insulated. We've gone 6 weeks in the hot weather with no AC - high 90's and low 100's never really hot in the house - shades on the sun side, airing in the cool morning. Cold is different, and it gets to 40 below. It is simply a question of controlling what you can, Not a lot different than having a fire extinguisher or a carry permit. I have one, will always have one, and am looking into increasing the LP quantity.
BTW, we have flooding, but to reach my place, Calling Noah! The county would be deep under.

· Registered
924 Posts
In regard to thawed food: Had a small freezer with a lot of meat accidentally unplugged by an electrician doing other work and not noticed for a few days. The meat was all thawed and still cool to the touch. I refroze it till I could decide on the best way to dispose of it. I decided to cook it and give it to my dogs. Ran batches in the slow cooker every time the previous batch was consumed. Greatly enjoyed, coats are wonderful and no ill effects. Granted, I was not in an emergency situation, but I'm much happier having fed the boys a wonderful treat than having had to drag all that meat to the dump.

· Registered
924 Posts
My service needs every fall aren't too bad. The tasks that I perform, just to see if it jives with what you do:
Clean battery terminals and spray with anti-corrosive spray
Change oil and filter.
Check the insulation on the battery cables and replace cables as needed.
Re-gap the spark plug and replace if it looks burned. Plugs r cheap
Replace battery every 4 years.

Is this what you do?
I no longer mess with electrical devices, or even cars that they now have computers. A man's got to know his limitations! I grit my teeth and write the check.

· Registered
924 Posts
Depends how well you install them. Ours goes down the freeway every weekend, just fine.

-retorque the throttle body. Pray that the paper gasket doesnt bind up the throttle
-clean the slip rings
-check to see if the fan is melting to the housing yet, and if the flywheel is falling off.
-scream at the faulty controller
-shake a chicken at the moon, around midnight, and pray that the pushrod or oil pump doesnt fail.
-bury salt and tobacco on the north side of the house to please the ignition module gods. (Have to tear down the entire gen to replace those)
Not anything I have experienced - did you buy a fake? Or do you just have a bone to pick. Might even be actionable if you can't document your issues.

· Registered
924 Posts
My switch is automatic, when the power goes down it cuts off connection to the power lines and uses generated power. When the power comes back, it shuts off the generator. Can't say it is a great investment, this place won't be sold till we die, but it is great for peace of mind.

· Registered
924 Posts
So is everything besides the 1800 rpm water-cooled diesel generators junk?
I just found out that Honda is building their new (portable) $5K fuel-injected EU7000 in India. 😭
Believe who you will. Just got my whole house LP fueled Generac serviced for the first time in 5 years. It has performed flawlessly, and will continue to do so. I will service it every other year from now on. If it fails, I'll buy another. My small gasoline fueled and dual fuel medium are for backup and other tasks. BTW, the company that services the Generac is not inexpensive but incredibly competent and worth the price.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts