1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
675 Posts
I have a friend in North Port. I'm in NJ. I have a 9500 portable in an enclosure that I can plug in the side of the house and power everything in the house. Have to kill the main on the panel, lock it off and flip on the 50amp for the generator. Might be better for you to get the 22000 like Bill has. You need that much to initally power everything up.

· Premium Member
675 Posts
there are great panels out there that make it easy to switch over to agenset. I was able to pick and choose where the power went when we had only 5.5 kw. cold food, warm house and hot showers were the priority
I can do that. I have more generator than I need. I'll never use the heat and air conditioner at the same time but I did the math to include everything in the house so I know I'm covered.

· Premium Member
675 Posts
I have a portable unit that is wired (Genarac) to my home , I have to flip a few switches but this unit will run all my Essentials and then some.
I’ve had to use it a few times to keep the AC, heat and refrigerators running. View attachment 652530
That's what I have, but the 9500. Interlock on the main breaker.

· Premium Member
675 Posts
Be sure whatever you have if whole house has a manual or automatic switch to isolate you from the main line. I believe you have to have it to protect Linemen who may be making repairs.
That's right. You have to lock out the main with an interlock or transfer switch. That male to male plug isn't recommended because you might forget to turn off the main.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts