1911Forum banner

House generator, thoughts.

8746 203
I'm sure this has been discussed before but, since going thru Hurricane Ian ( I'm in North Port, Florida ) and haven't had electricity from FPL since Wednesday. At least I have my Miller ( welder/generator) Big Blue 400 for a power source. Its not wired into the panel, just a couple of cords running power to refrigerators and powering up phones and laptops. What are you thoughts on "whole house" generators, gasoline, propane or diesel?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Automotive tire
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Get a nice solar panel and a battery rack for the same cost.

At least you can use that everyday.
Considered this for my home in Punta Gorda, FL. However, several homes in my neighborhood lost solar panels to Ian. Some kind of generator seems the better solution here.

· Premium Member
3,035 Posts
I live in Punta Gorda, FL. Elevation 15 feet and my Lanai and pool are in the “flood zone, but not the house”. I have homeowners insurance, flood insurance and hurricane insurance. Just spent $5,000.00 to have trees moved from property to the street for pickup by the County - expect within a month or two. No dump sites open. Insurance will give me around $1,000.00 for this effort. No mortgage so not required to have insurance but would be stupid not to. Those that don’t - well, they ain’t to bright!😎 Now looking into a generator and battery backup system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts