1911Forum banner

House generator, thoughts.

8788 Views 203 Replies 84 Participants Last post by  Swift1
I'm sure this has been discussed before but, since going thru Hurricane Ian ( I'm in North Port, Florida ) and haven't had electricity from FPL since Wednesday. At least I have my Miller ( welder/generator) Big Blue 400 for a power source. Its not wired into the panel, just a couple of cords running power to refrigerators and powering up phones and laptops. What are you thoughts on "whole house" generators, gasoline, propane or diesel?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Automotive tire
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,226 Posts
How many solar panels last through a CAT 4 storm?
Depends how well you install them. Ours goes down the freeway every weekend, just fine.

My service needs every fall aren't too bad. The tasks that I perform, just to see if it jives with what you do:
Clean battery terminals and spray with anti-corrosive spray
Change oil and filter.
Check the insulation on the battery cables and replace cables as needed.
Re-gap the spark plug and replace if it looks burned. Plugs r cheap
Replace battery every 4 years.

Is this what you do?
-retorque the throttle body. Pray that the paper gasket doesnt bind up the throttle
-clean the slip rings
-check to see if the fan is melting to the housing yet, and if the flywheel is falling off.
-scream at the faulty controller
-shake a chicken at the moon, around midnight, and pray that the pushrod or oil pump doesnt fail.
-bury salt and tobacco on the north side of the house to please the ignition module gods. (Have to tear down the entire gen to replace those)

· Registered
2,226 Posts
Not anything I have experienced - did you buy a fake? Or do you just have a bone to pick. Might even be actionable if you can't document your issues.
I have to fix the pathetic excuses for generators, that people buy, for a living. Generac, Cat, Cummins, MTU, etc.etc. Consumers will make themselves believe anything, just to feel better.

Most are poorly installed, or poorly designed. Often both.

Absolute junk, most of them.

· Registered
2,226 Posts
@Zerodefect So those are the ones you don't like. Which ones do you like and why? Maybe you posted the answer elsewhere. If do I did not see it.
None. Those are decent brands that I mentioned.

I suggest realigning your needs in a way that you can survive without a gen. For every happy owner, theres one who hates their machine.

My water heater runs fine when power's out. My boiler and fridge, can be run from a solar powered inverter and battery. Purposefully picked property that needs no sump pump.

My RV is solar powered. Runs everything but the AC. Usually a fantastic fan is plenty.

All I need is a candle at home. No different than most of mankinds time on earth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts