1911Forum banner
41 - 60 of 204 Posts

· Premium Member
784 Posts
The worst part after a hurricane and losing power is the heat and humidity. I had a 6,500w Westinghouse generator that I had wired into a 10 circuit transfer switch. Refirgerator, ceiling fans, stove, microwave were the main things that I needed to make sure we had power for. For A/C we bought a small room A/C (LG I think, 7,000 BTU) and set that up in the guest bedroom. Closed the windows, put a towel along the floor at the door and it ran nice and quiet, and kept the room very comfortable.

Mostly cooked outside on the grill, but could also make a fresh pot of coffee every morning. Microwave might have been used a couple of times.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
We do not get hurricanes but we do have Eskom, local national electricity supplier that has put in load shedding for north of 100 days this year, zones are taken off grid on a daily basis for 2-3 cycles per day when load shedding is in place. Cycles can be between 2.5-6 hours depending on stage. I've put in a 1.5KW solar powered imverter that runs fridge/freezers, wifi, cable, computers, TV and security system for around 6 hours. Cooking is LPG (propane), one bathroom on LPG geyser. Light bulbs are rechargable (fully charged last around 4 hours without drawing power), overlapping solar motion sensor security lights outside (pick up the cats). Have a 6.5KW petrol generator wired in to supply power if inverter runs low. Was looking at a full solar system, backed off as we are likely to downsize in the next couple of years.

· Premium Member
675 Posts
I have a portable unit that is wired (Genarac) to my home , I have to flip a few switches but this unit will run all my Essentials and then some.
I’ve had to use it a few times to keep the AC, heat and refrigerators running. View attachment 652530
That's what I have, but the 9500. Interlock on the main breaker.

· Premium Member
675 Posts
Be sure whatever you have if whole house has a manual or automatic switch to isolate you from the main line. I believe you have to have it to protect Linemen who may be making repairs.
That's right. You have to lock out the main with an interlock or transfer switch. That male to male plug isn't recommended because you might forget to turn off the main.

· Registered
1,101 Posts
I've got a 6500 honda that I can plug into the house. Also have a surge suppressor wired to the panel. We used the honda over the summer after trees took down the power lines. Since then I've changed my thinking. Ive also got 2 2200 honda gens from the camper. They use very little gas and can run what needs to be ran. Its an emergency type situation. I dont need everything turned on at once. Fridge, freezers, well pump, a light. The 2 little gas sippers power what I need.

· Registered
344 Posts
I ordered a Generac 24KW back in June of 2021. At the time that was the largest air cooled unit Generac made. I hear there are now larger air cooled model(s). That was during the "Great Computer Chip Drought" of 2021. It sat waiting for an electronic component from "overseas" for 6 months. It got installed in December of 2021. We lost power about a month ago due to a bad thunderstorm. I was away from the house, and when I got home the unit was purring away. When the grid came back up only thing I had to do was reset clocks.

The unit is fully automatic. If the grid power goes out for 5 seconds, the engine starts. If the power stays off for another 10 seconds the unit automatically transfers power from the grid to the generator. When the grid comes back up, generator automatically switches back over to the grid, and the engine shuts down. It was seamless....I didn't know the grid power was back up till I walked out on the patio to smoke and the engine was off.

Mine runs on natural gas. I have natural gas central heat and hot water heater so they just tied into that. The 24 KW will power my whole house. Everything. On the appointed day, a 4-man team from a local company (Generac dealer). Installed it, and it was tested and up and running same day. Seven year bumper to bumper warranty, and total of 10 year warranty I think.

Someone mentioned keeping the battery charged. The battery of this model is on a constant trickle charge unless it's powering the house. Unit automatically powers up once a week (same day/same time) and runs for about 5 or 6 minutes. During that time it runs self-diagnostic tests and sends the results to the company that installed it and to my phone. (Had to download an app for that.) There is routine maintenance required for the engine. The company automatically comes out and performs this at the scheduled time. If it runs for an extended amount of time due to a power outage, depending on how long that is, maintenance will be required other than routine.

I almost forgot....something some of y'all asked....Total cost was something over $11K. That includes the unit, installation, and an optional lightning arrester. (NO, spellcheck, that IS how one spells "arrester" in that context.) I don't remember exactly how much, but the lightning arrester was an additional few (several?) hundred collars.

Sorry....that was way longer than I thought it would be.

· Premium Member
1,939 Posts
I ordered a Generac 24KW back in June of 2021. At the time that was the largest air cooled unit Generac made. I hear there are now larger air cooled model(s). That was during the "Great Computer Chip Drought" of 2021. It sat waiting for an electronic component from "overseas" for 6 months. It got installed in December of 2021. We lost power about a month ago due to a bad thunderstorm. I was away from the house, and when I got home the unit was purring away. When the grid came back up only thing I had to do was reset clocks.

The unit is fully automatic. If the grid power goes out for 5 seconds, the engine starts. If the power stays off for another 10 seconds the unit automatically transfers power from the grid to the generator. When the grid comes back up, generator automatically switches back over to the grid, and the engine shuts down. It was seamless....I didn't know the grid power was back up till I walked out on the patio to smoke and the engine was off.

Mine runs on natural gas. I have natural gas central heat and hot water heater so they just tied into that. The 24 KW will power my whole house. Everything. On the appointed day, a 4-man team from a local company (Generac dealer). Installed it, and it was tested and up and running same day. Seven year bumper to bumper warranty, and total of 10 year warranty I think.

Someone mentioned keeping the battery charged. The battery of this model is on a constant trickle charge unless it's powering the house. Unit automatically powers up once a week (same day/same time) and runs for about 5 or 6 minutes. During that time it runs self-diagnostic tests and sends the results to the company that installed it and to my phone. (Had to download an app for that.) There is routing maintenance required for the engine. The company automatically comes out and performs this at the scheduled time. If it runs for an extended amount of time due to a power outage, depending on how long that is, maintenance will be required other than routine.

I almost forgot....something some of y'all asked....Total cost was something over $11K. That includes the unit, installation, and an optional lightning arrester. (NO,spellcheck, that IS how one spells "arrester" in that context.) I don't remember exactly how much, but the lightning arrester was an additional few (several?) hundred collars.

Sorry....that was way longer than I thought it would be.

Wow, nice summary. Thanks.

· Premium Member
17,471 Posts
Natural gas if you have access to it, and the air-cooled V-twin Generac. Here on the I-95 corridor in VA we get hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms and snow. My site is not subject to flooding. My power has been off up to 5 days in summer and winter. I don't have a whole-house unit yet, but after reading what I just wrote, I can't tell you why not. In fact I think I will see about getting started on that - first I have to pick out a place for it. For anybody on wooded lots, think about reducing the chance of a tree or large limb taking out your gen-set. Maybe you can locate it in a safe place or do some cutting.

· Registered
39 Posts
We have a 22k Generac run on NG. It was installed a few years ago incase my wife had to do home dialysis. Praise God her kidneys stabilized and then got a bit better. We have had two weather events where the generator ran for several days. If you have to use propane, check on how much tank rental costs vs buying the tank outright.

· Registered
924 Posts
We have a 22k Generac run on NG. It was installed a few years ago incase my wife had to do home dialysis. Praise God her kidneys stabilized and then got a bit better. We have had two weather events where the generator ran for several days. If you have to use propane, check on how much tank rental costs vs buying the tank outright.
Can't recall the gallons, I think 500, but 8' long. Out here in Montana, Rental $75 per year.

· Registered
2,086 Posts
I should have included our runs on NG. If NG stops flowing I would imagine the collapse of society as we know it maybe right behind. Then you have a whole host if other issues to deal with besides a loss of power.

· Registered
924 Posts
I should have included our runs on NG. If NG stops flowing I would imagine the collapse of society as we know it maybe right behind. Then you have a whole host if other issues to deal with besides a loss of power.
As mentioned earlier, you can run them on Natural Gas or LP. During the Nazi blitz on England the gas lines were often broken in London, it was not the end of the the world as we know it. In any case, I would just as soon live in the modern world as long as I can, eating from the freezer, processing and adding game, and having ice in my last drink!

41 - 60 of 204 Posts