1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I stop by my local shop today to nose around a bit. I immediately noticed that they had a new Hi Power in the case. When I got closer I just about fell over.
It was a Silver Chrome model with FIXED sights. It had what looked to be black, plastic grips with BROWNING on them. They looked like the same grips that come on the base model. I examind it closer. It was really nice and it was definitely NEW. Everything was nice and tight and as expected, it felt GREAT. Then I looked at the tag. It was priced at $889!!! I thought it was a mistake and asked. They seemed to take offense at me even suggesting that it looked HIGH.

Now the other 2 Hi Powers that they have are priced high, but not THAT high. One of them is used too. The Practical was priced in the mid $700 range.
This place usually has decent prices on their guns. I guess that's what surprised me so much when I seen the sticker on that HP.

Would you have any idea as to WHY that Hi Power would be priced that high? I figured it is at least $250 high. What do you think?
Any ideas to explain this lunacy?

Thanks

Nala

·
Administrator
13,406 Posts
Seems high to me as well . Davidson's had the exclusive on the Silver Chrome fixed sight model several years ago . No longer made I believe . The price seems about $150-200 high . imo

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hi-Power prices appear to have gone up again. Pistols locally that were $699and $729 this summer are now $799 and $829. I don't know who is making marketing or pricing decisions at Browning, but it seems they will or have priced the pistol out of the market again.

In 2001, you could get a new hardchrome hi-power for just about $600 from Davidsons. Roughly at the same time, the FN marked pistols were hitting the market in the low to mid $500 range. Now, just a few years later, FN's are being blown out in the low to mid $400's and Browning marked pistols have climbed from $600 through $700 and now to $800. I wonder how much this has to do to the Euro vs the dollar.

When I see the Czech's banging out CZ-75's and 85's for under $500, I have to wonder.

·
Administrator
13,406 Posts
Right Jeff

There are some down right steals out there on FN HP's right now . 9mm & 40 . SA or SFS trigger . All under $500 .

It is my understanding that FN will no longer market the HP . Only Browning . FN dumped their whole inventory at a super low price . :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My understanding is that the FN pistols were an attempt to re-enter the LEO/government market. It didn't work and they liquidated their inventory. They've even posted on the FN web page that they will no longer import the pistol. Browning will remain as the importer.

I was hoping when the FN's first came out that we'd see the Browning pistols come down in price a little. Same gun. Same parent company. When the FN's got liquidated, I was exepecting to see the Browning pistols return to the $550~$650 price range.

It's a shame. Great pistol, but I think it's overpriced once you get over $600 for a basic MkIII.

Sadly, I have the same gripe with Colt.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I bought a FN from CDNN a couple of months ago, and promptly sent it to Don Williams for some minor tweaking.
It will soon have a trigger job, new sights, thumb safety, and a set of Spegel Rosewood grips.
Complete, I'll have slightly over $850 into it, ancluding all the tax, shipping charges, and transfer fee,
and will probably have a heck of a lot better gun.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Nalapombu said:
Hey all,

Would you have any idea as to WHY that Hi Power would be priced that high? I figured it is at least $250 high. What do you think?
Any ideas to explain this lunacy?

Thanks

Nala

Yeah they figure some Schmuck will come in and be stupid enough to pay those prices. For an example I just bought a HP Practical LNIB for 500.00 shipped and there are many more out there that for some reason of late are being sold "low ball", so you're right when you say they're around $200-250 higher. As for the other HP for $889.00 the only HP's in my book worth that are the "G35 Comps", Centennials, Inglis w/stock, a custom job, or the engraved models that you don't ever shoot.

RC

·
Registered
745 Posts
CDNN FNs; pros and cons

If you already had a matte black FN 9mm, would you bother picking up an SFS in blue? I am thinking I might be better off spending that money on sending the black one off for trigger work. That's the con. For pros, word is that the CDNN inventory is selling down, may kick myself down the road if I don't get one. ?? But why do I need more than one? Unless I want to add a .40. Thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
163 Posts
my best advice on any purchase is bide your time. determine exactly what you want, save the money, and just keep on looking til you get what you want. my dad used to say if you saved up for your purchases that by the time you saved the money you would no longer want to make the purchase. he was right on more often than not

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.