1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the new Wilson Armor Tuff 7/8 rd'ers: Do they feed? Eject smoothly out of the mag well? Do they look cool with a totally blued gun?

[This message has been edited by fremont (edited 10-01-2001).]

· Banned
13,763 Posts
Originally posted by Double Naught Spy:
I have not seen them, but I can't imagine that they would look cool for all that long.
Agreed DNS. My Wilson stainless mags take a beating and look like crap (although still completely reliable), and they have NO coating!

· Registered
4,616 Posts
Shane, a while back when sending one of my Colts to Metaloy Industries to have it metaloyed, which is a satin stainless appearing teflon finish, I sent in 20 Colt 7 round mags, this was maybe 12 years ago or so, over the years these mags have taken a beating as they are my range mags, the finish has worn to almost a polished appearance, but it is still on with no other signs of wear. I also have 5 Beretta mags that have the NP-3 finish and MUCH use with little or no sign of wear. While I have guns with armor-tuff finish, I have yet to have my mags done in this finish.

· Registered
4,616 Posts
Shane, it's an amazing finish, if I wasn't already sold on my metaloy finishes I'd refinish my guns in NP3. I picked up a Beretta 96 a while back with 3 dot tritiums and NP3 finish on it and it 3 15 round mags.

· Registered
19 Posts
fremont:

Just bought one recently. Looks good and works fine. Wilson mags are hard to beat in my opinion.

------------------
War,war is still the cry, "War even to the knife!"
Byron

· Registered
9 Posts
I've been using a couple of 7 and 8 rounders for the last few months. So far, they work just as well as the standard, satin finished ones.

After a few matches, a 3-day pistol class, a few practice sessions, and being used as 'primary' PDW mags, the finish appears to be holding up fine.

I think the big advantage with the Armor-Tuff finish will be for those who pack CCW or on-duty. The black finish is less reflective on duty belt mag pouches and a bit less obvious on the belts of civilian CCW packers... 'Stealth' finish, metal floor plate, plus being rust resistant, makes it an ideal primary and spare mag for concealed or duty carry, imho.

· Registered
2,875 Posts
Well, they were rust resistent to start with, being stainless. Very little of the mag ever showed sticking out of my gun, so I am not sure where the coloring would be that significant.

How come they can get Armor-tuff to work on mags but not on guns?

· Registered
9 Posts
To clarify, I meant black or some other dark finish on mags would be useful to reduce reflection on mags carried on the belt in mag pouches. A good thing for LEO's, or HRT/SWAT types, etc. working in low light, night, and/or sneaky-pete stuff, etc. Stainless steel mags tend to be as shiny/reflective as badges... One of our local HRT teams goes as far as blacking out their uniform (subdued cloth PD badge/patch instead of star, blacked out tac gear, duty rigs, belt buckles, etc.)

Regarding rust resistance, I meant compared to using blued 1911 mags for day-to-day carry/spare... My factory blued mags are rust magnets... Another reason why I switched to Wilsons.

For CCW, a dark mag might be a little lower profile, if one is concerned about such things, than one in 'raw' stainless steel finish, should one's jacket or vest fly open, creep up...

· Registered
19 Posts
It's not cheap(appox $35),but I think it's worth it.

-------------
War,war is still the cry, "War even to the knife!"
Byron

[This message has been edited by FLM45 (edited 10-11-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.