1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know the grease gun had an attachment to do 90º shooting in WWII. I'm surprised they are using TV, it wouldn't be hard to do optically, and that would be a much more robust alternative.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
luvtolean said:
I know the grease gun had an attachment to do 90º shooting in WWII. I'm surprised they are using TV, it wouldn't be hard to do optically, and that would be a much more robust alternative.
Maybe I was mistaken about it being on a Thompson, or they had it for both. I do remember them saying that the bullet wore out the attachment rather quickly. Eventually, it would shoot through at the bend.

Maybe the video system has some thermal imaging capabilities? That'd be pretty sweet.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If I remember right, it was for the grease gun, wasn't made for accuracy, just keeping ene,yheads down without exposing yourself, and yes, only lasted a few bursts on the average.

·
Premium Member
20,360 Posts
According to another article, there are versions for Glocks, Berettas, and Colts.

·
Registered
919 Posts
There was a version of the M-1 Carbine during WWII that was intended to shoot around corners. The barrel had a 90 degree bend in the middle and the actual bullet was a true ball. I don't know if it was just tested or if it saw any combat.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I remember that the Soviet made an AK with a crazy barrel the was designed to engage targets outside of the tank.

It came about because of the Afgans who would ride up and toss explosives on the tanks.

Basically it was an AK47 but the barrel curved about 90 degrees and the entire length of the curve had 'gas venting" ports to facillitate the bend.

Crazy!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I dont like this idea.

Someone rushes you while your weapon is bent at an angle. You gotta hold the gun awefully funky to be able to hit them at close range.

Also, I do not like the "flip screen" on the side of the reciever(?). This takes the operators focus off of everything around him. NOT good.

Now, a good idea IMHO would be a small camera that is the size of a Streamlight M6 or an M3 taclight. The camera would be "zeroed" with the barrel so you could aim by using the camera. Have a monocular that can flip down over the operator's non-dominant eye, that shows what the camera sees. He can still see whats going on around him and doesnt have a bent gun, incase someone rushes him. Basically the LandWarrior system for a pistol/subgun.

Aim around corners and still have a usable weapon, all the while being able to see whats going on around you.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tivoli410 said:
I dont like this idea.

Someone rushes you while your weapon is bent at an angle. You gotta hold the gun awefully funky to be able to hit them at close range.

Also, I do not like the "flip screen" on the side of the reciever(?). This takes the operators focus off of everything around him. NOT good.

Now, a good idea IMHO would be a small camera that is the size of a Streamlight M6 or an M3 taclight. The camera would be "zeroed" with the barrel so you could aim by using the camera. Have a monocular that can flip down over the operator's non-dominant eye, that shows what the camera sees. He can still see whats going on around him and doesnt have a bent gun, incase someone rushes him. Basically the LandWarrior system for a pistol/subgun.

Aim around corners and still have a usable weapon, all the while being able to see whats going on around you.
I think the idea is to have one of these or so, per squad/team. I would think that while somebody is using it, there are other people around him.

My problem is that things tend to get treated rather roughly in a combat environment. I don't know how well it would hold up.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Tivoli410 said:
I dont like this idea.

It was not issued as a carry weapon, but more as a specialty weapon. In other words, it was probably more of a second carry weapon, with the soldier still using his standard issue rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
The Germans made some of these for the STG44/45. in WWII It is in 7.9x33 calibre. I am in the process of selling one right now. I haven't seen too many opf them out side of pix and museums.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
All I have is the barrel, with the reflective mirror, not the whole gun...it is in New Hampshire at the buyers currently. I don't have any digital equip't to take a photo anyway. Sorry

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tivoli410 said:
I dont like this idea.

I thought the same thing when I first saw that POS. Now if I can get the History Channel on that screen, I might like it. Watch Tales of the Gun on your gun.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ktulu said:
I thought the same thing when I first saw that POS. Now if I can get the History Channel on that screen, I might like it. Watch Tales of the Gun on your gun.
Hell yeah! TOTG is my favorite show, hands down. I'm just pissed they want so much for the videos.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I believe that the Germans actually developed 2 versions for the STG44. one type was for tank defence so the commander didn't have to expose himself to enemy fire. The second type was used to shoot around corners.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good point - maybe those bullets that do 90-degree turns (like the one that killed JFK) are still the "cat's meow" of urban warfare.....eh??:D

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Deepdiver said:
Good point - maybe those bullets that do 90-degree turns (like the one that killed JFK) are still the "cat's meow" of urban warfare.....eh??:D
I think I just saw a black helicopter.:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts