1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best accuracy a person can get at 25 yards with a 1911 5" bbl (new production $900-$1500 non-custom gun) and handloads using 230 grain round nose bullets?
I hope my question isn't too vague. I shoot a Sig Tacops 1911 and a Colt Gold Cup Trophy and I've been working on a number of different loads for accurate 25 yard shooting. Because of the conditions of the indoor range where I shoot, I can't set up a chronograph or a ransom rest, so I'm kind of stuck evaluating how tight my best groups are in order to judge each load.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Off hand I can get 3 in groups thats not bad for me .Bench I can get 2 in.My Rem is better than my Colt or Kimber go figure.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Manufacturers such as Baer and Clark have accuracy guarantees on their hardball guns; Bear's is 3" 10 shot group @ 50yds, and Clark's is 2.5" 10 shot gorup @ 50 yds. And that is with 230gn ball ammo. That scales to less than 1.5" @ 25 yds with proper ammo and a good gun. You can view that as a lower limit on what you can expect to achieve if you're up to the challenge.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You’ll need to work up loads for both guns. Your reloading so go through the process and see what load groups best.

The best grouping loads out of my 2 5” 45acp’s is mid-range in the loading manuals.

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
One other major factor is the quality (consistency) of the bullets you choose to use. Choose a bullet (cast, plated, or jacketed) that has a very low weight variation between bullets, good uniform shape, and a manufacturer that consistently holds high standards (specially true with cast bullets).

You can then develop and repeat specific loads that prove to be the most accurate in your pistols. I found a very sweet shooting combination and suddenly it went to pot. The charge was the same, the measurements (OAL) was the same, and the bullets were from the same manufacturer so what had changed? After asking a few questions I discovered the manufacturer had changed lead suppliers and the alloy was not quite the same (close but not identical). When casting he used a slightly different temperature and a different lube. Not that they were not quality bullets, it's just they were not quite identical bullets. After weighing some of his new bullets I discovered the bullet weights had an extreme spread of almost 12 gr. If you are trying for the smallest groups possible this makes a difference.

So if you want to shoot consistent groups you need to use consistent components. When one factor changes so can you results.

Grumpy

·
Registered
302 Posts
I target shoot at 17 yards. I get 3" groups with 230 grain. Shooting 200 lead RN I get 1-2" groups. I get 2" with 160grain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I normally don't shoot 230 gr....but last Sat was given some Precision Delta...I loaded them up with WST....and shot at 25 yd's from a padded rest...they were literally just clusters..a ragged hole...my go to bullet will always be SWC 200gr...but the 230 surprised me and were very accurate

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
My experience with 1911s in 45 acp and a variety of bullets and powders is that accuracy relies more on the person pulling the trigger than on the bullet selection, probably much more. FWIW, my accuracy from my pistols is slightly less with 230 FMJ than with 200 LSWC.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Charlie has some very basic questions. We see it here, and on his other threads.

This particular question cannot be answered, unless we make a few conditions.

Accuracy depends upon the gun. Even telling me it's a 5" 1911 non-custom $1500
doesn't give us enough, some are super accurate and others are not.
We'll get to that in a minute.

Accuracy depends upon the shooter. Some are good, some are not.
In fact, even an excellent shooter will get different groups on a sandbag rest
compared to a mechanical rest (like a Ransom Rest). We'll get to that in a minute.

Accuracy depends upon the ammunition. Not only are some loads better than others,
but the same exact load will perform well in one gun and crappy in the rest.
Each gun is its own specific platform, it will tell you what it likes.
More on that in a minute.

60 seconds later...

Here is my best advice, it will get you the answer you need. Without us guys guessing!
Go online or to a gun shop and get two boxes of ammunition.
One will be Federal Gold Medal Match, 230 grain FMJ.
The other ASYM Precision 45 Match Hardball, 230 grain FMJ.

Now take those two boxes to the range and set up your targets at 25 yards.
If the range doesn't have a solid bench or table, take one with you. Important!
Take a sandbag to rest the gun. I know they make plastic rests, but take a sandbag.
If you find a cloth sack and clean sand, make your own. Or fill with shotgun bird shot.
If you buy one from Caldwell or like that, it may arrive already filled.

Take the 5" 1911 non-custom $1200 to $1500 gun you wish to test.
Before shooting, sight it in with standard ammo from the store, 230 gr FMJ.
Clean the gun thoroughly, make sure everything works great.

At the range, load up that ammo and shoot very carefully at those targets.
You might want to shoot 10 rounds at a time, then change targets.
That gives you a running record of each brand of ammo.

Don't make sight adjustments while shooting those two match loads.

Best if you shoot the targets yourself, so you always know the accuracy YOU will get
out of that particular gun at 25 yards with known good match grade ammunition.

That will be your exact answer. The gun. You. Known good ammo.
I know its a lot of work, but you have to work for it.
No cheap answers will be right for you and your gun.

But if you don't want to work for it, the answer is 2" to 4" groups per 5 round string at 25 yards from sandbag rest.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The best I ever seen from a pistol shooting from a rest at 25 yds. indoor range was .5" 3 shot group from a scoped Dan Wesson 44 mag and a Ruger super red hawk 44 mag.

I had Colt Delta 10mm elite with Ed Brown 4 star comp. and barrel, with hard cast lead bullets and target loads it would put 8 rounds into a liittle over an 1" clover shape at 25 yrds. from a rest with bomar sights

·
Registered
69 Posts
I shoot nothing but Lee TL 200 grain SWC's, and LEE TL 230 grain RN in my Springer Loaded Target. I get a 2 inch or better groupe at 50 feet all day long. A charge of 5 grains of Win. 231 or HP 38,gives me plus or minus 800 FPS .About 8,000 rounds now. I've never tried factory bullets .good luck hdbiker

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
What is the best accuracy a person can get at 25 yards with a 1911 5" bbl (new production $900-$1500 non-custom gun) and handloads using 230 grain round nose bullets?
I hope my question isn't too vague. I shoot a Sig Tacops 1911 and a Colt Gold Cup Trophy and I've been working on a number of different loads for accurate 25 yard shooting. Because of the conditions of the indoor range where I shoot, I can't set up a chronograph or a ransom rest, so I'm kind of stuck evaluating how tight my best groups are in order to judge each load.
For someone who is a “regular shooter” that has worked out most of his sights, hold and trigger issues?
(Unlike rifle, for most folks, handgun skills deteriorate quickly when not applied regularly)

In a modern “production gun” that the load like’s and you are doing your part?
Anything REPEATABLE at or below 3” @ 25 yards you should be grateful for with a good Handload.
Most mid-priced production guns are at about their limit here and you should have even lower expectations from some entry level piece.

Once things open up over about ~ 6” then additional attention to the gun, shooter, load or all three should be reviewed.

To “paraphrase” an analogy, just know that in guns it’s like Drag racing, the first few gains are cheap and easy like putting on a set of headers, 4:56 gears and some slicks
These first few changes can drop initial “elapsed times” as much as a few seconds over stock
But after that you gotta start spending tons more to gain hundredths down to thousandths of improvement in times.

Same with guns, a decent 3” gun may only set you back seven or eight hundred
But to get something that will REPEATABLY get you into that 1.5” or less group you may have to spend more than a grand more just to get into the neighborhood and if your ego demands bragging rights, getting a custom name plate with “extra’s” starts around two grand and goes northward from there.

Good Luck :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts