1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be mighty interested in what kind of groups ya'll get with your Rock Island 1911's?
To be direct, my eyes are not great, and as I've aged, my shooting has deteriorated somewhat as well.
That being said, I'd be interested in hearing/seeing what kind of groups you folks get with your Rock's, because surely theres plenty of you that are far better shots, even off a rest, as I!

Whatchagot?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
my 2011. 15yd off hand, Federal Hydrashock

my CS. 10yd off hand, Federal Hydrashock

10mm - Federal weakass 180gr FMJ from 10yds.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
My first Rock
(on right)

started life as GI model
bone stock internally
20yrds

my third Rock.
This is right out of the box

same pistol with my accurate reloads.
I tuned the trigger and set the pull at 3.5 pounds
5 shot group, the first 4 shots went into that 1" hole .
I yanked the fifth :grumble:

those are all "honest to God" measured 20yrds from my bench
Actual distance from muzzle is probably more like 21 yards or better

the third Rock was one of the two most accurate big bore autos I've owned.
My Gold Cup is the other

I current Rock (my forth one) is 9mm
It's shoots acceptable groups (2.5") @ 20yrds

the only Rock I've owned that wasn't so hot, was my 38 super .
best it would do with any ammo (factory or reloads) was 4.5-5" groups @20 yrds

..L.T.A.

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
As purchased, 3-4" groups at 25 yards.

With the fitting of an EGW bushing, shot at 25 yards again:

Yep, the flyer was my fault. I've worked on the trigger some since then, so I need to redo this exercise...

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
As purchased, 3-4" groups at 25 yards.

With the fitting of an EGW bushing, shot at 25 yards again:

Yep, the flyer was my fault. I've worked on the trigger some since then, so I need to redo this exercise...
When I see a group like that, makes me wonder if I should try EGW bushing on my 2011 too(I've been contemplating with the idea of fitting new NM barrel...) instead...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am actually quite surprised at the accuracy of my Rock compact.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mine depends on who is shooting it.
For me, sometimes, it is able to miss the whole barn.
But when I got it, an FBI agent shot it. 5 shots all right on just like the above.
dc

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Sometimes I think it's a waste of time shooting anything but steel. At the magic 7-yards range, hearing a nice "ding!" means that the sonufabitch that plate represents isn't going to be too eager to make any more mischief. That said, here is the last target I shot with my .22TCM (and yes, I was over-fingering the thing; I'm ordering a new long trigger from Brownells as soon as they get back in stock!).

·
Registered
191 Posts
My FS Tac .45 and .38 Super both shoot under 2" freehand at 50'. I havn't shot anything but factory as turkey/deer season came and I stopped shooting bullseye till spring again. the .45 has has fixed sights and had to file down the front blade and the .38 super is fixed Govt. sights but right on. I will be doing sight work on both later and working up reloads.

·
Registered
451 Posts
How accurate is your Rock? well, that depends upon who is shooting it and which barrel is being used.
38Super...Most groups are 2" or less @ 25 yds from a rest and open up to 8" depending upon the shooter.
9mm...3-4" @ 25 yds from a rest and open up to 9-10" depending upon the shooter.
For me shooting the 38 Super is a bit tighter than the 9m...1.5" @25yd from a rest and about 2.5 -3" unsupported.

If you put it in a ransom Rest, 3/4- 1/14" @ 25yd.
That being said, under identical circumstances, mine is as accurate as any other that I have seen at our range.
Now how accurate am I? only time will tell.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Let's put it this away. Don't let any perp step in front of either one of mine. Their day will quickly become a bad day indeed!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts