1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a commander XSE SS, but before the pistol arrives, I've already ordered a BT grip safety, an arched MS housing, and a tactical thumb safety. This is the minimum I figure the pistol needs, although there are a few more things I might do with springs and such. I just thought it was funny to have ordered parts for a pistol I haven't received yet.:biglaugh:

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
It's not anal if you already know what changes you want. It's the guys who go and ask "I have this new pistol, what should I do to it to make it better?" that leave me scratching my head.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I too have an XSE, a Cmdr. I'm also going to go with the arched MSH and think I'm going to swap out the grip safety.

Then maybe the grips.....

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i dont think its anal at all, i know before i buy a new pistol that im prob gonna have to change the grips on it.. lol..

whats anal is telling someone else what they have to have!!! lol

congrats on the new pistol, be sure and post before and after pics :rock:

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nothing anal about knowing what you like or what you might want to try .

I personally like arched mainspring housings even though I seem to shoot guns with either flat or arched equally well .

That's the great thing about the 1911 you can customized it to suit your needs or desires .

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
I ordered a bunch of parts for a rifle, while I waited for a group order to be put together. When it came time to actually place the order, the manufacturer told us that the rifle I wanted couldn't be included in the deal. I had mags, pouches, a scope mount, and maybe some other stuff. Sold it all for about eighty cents on the dollar, but I now resist the urge.

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
I bought a used Combat Elite knowing what parts on it were wrong and what I needed to change back to original. I gathered up the needed parts while waiting for it to arrive. So therefore I don't think your motive was anal in the least.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Me too!

OCD I guess. I just picked up a LW Commander XSE a few days ago!

I ordered a drop in grip safety from Wilson (alum frame and I don't really want to spend the money on re-anodizing it).
Also on the way are Ed Brown Hardcore extractor, O/S FPS, and single thumb safety. Aluminum mainspring housing and an EGW bushing to tighten up the front.

Did I mention (3) mags from Tripp and (2) rebuild kits for the stock Colt mags?

:)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
23,211 Posts
I don't think it is anal. It probably adds enjoyment to the purchasing experience. I usually buy "off the rack" as I like to see and touch before I buy, and why I shop at gun stores that not only have good prices but 60 or 90 day lay-awake policies.

When I got my XSE LW Commander I saw it and asked to look at it. I was amazed at how well it was put together. The fit and finish were great, so I put it on lay-awake and finished buying it in about 30 days. When I shot it, I was amazed at how well it grouped and the total lack of malfunctions and after about 500-600 rounds I decided to carry it. Once I decided to carry it I got rid of the ambi safeties, the flgr, and changed out the nice wood grips for some cheap plastic ones. I also used slotted grip screws to hold the new grips on. After a few thousand rounds I realized it would not be easy to get rid of the holster unfriendly front serrations, so I replaced it with a normal blue Colt Commander. I then put the XSE back just the way I got it from Colt.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I too have an XSE, a Cmdr. I'm also going to go with the arched MSH and think I'm going to swap out the grip safety.

Then maybe the grips.....
Why did they stop using the arched main spring housing on the series 80 guns and newer? I love the arched mainspring and put it on all of my 1911's.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Why did they stop using the arched main spring housing on the series 80 guns...?
Good damn question. As I advance in years handling Colts I've come to appreciate all the standard "A1" features on Gov't and Commander models, including the stock hammer, grip safety, thumb-safety, standard sights, etc. Although I own several "full-house" custom guns built by a nationally renowned pistolsmith, if leaving home tomorrow morning with the foresight that I would be involved in a gunfight before day's end ... I'd pack my bone-stock '52 Colt Commercial.

So ... my recommendation to BeaverJack would be to put at least a couple thousand rounds through his new Commander prior to making any modifications. There is a strong possibility he'd like the way it feels and shoots straight out of the box.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Good damn question. As I advance in years handling Colts I've come to appreciate all the standard "A1" features on Gov't and Commander models, including the stock hammer, grip safety, thumb-safety, standard sights, etc. Although I own several "full-house" custom guns built by a nationally renowned pistolsmith, if leaving home tomorrow morning with the foresight that I would be involved in a gunfight before day's end ... I'd pack my bone-stock '52 Colt Commercial.

So ... my recommendation to BeaverJack would be to put at least a couple thousand rounds through his new Commander prior to making any modifications. There is a strong possibility he'd like the way it feels and shoots straight out of the box.
Great advice.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Naw. The Colt of today, and even 10 years ago is not your granddaddy's company. If I had a mint 1970s version commander, you betcha it'd be stock. I've shot enough rounds through 1911s to know that there are improvements to be had that make good sense for concealed carry. I want any pistol I'm carrying to mimic the feel of my other pistols, so when I practice with one, I'm essentially practicing with all of them. Except for my Colt GCT, which I use exclusively with certain ammo for target shooting (not combat target shooting), all my pistols are commander style and they have the same high grip modifications. I wouldn't bet my life or that of my family members on a unique feeling and pointing pistol. Call me anal, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Nostalgia is great, but life is better.

Just ordered some G10 grips. Pick up the pistol today. I'll post a picture when I get it jazzed.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Call me anal, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Far be it from me to take issue with a guy who knows what he wants. God bless you, brother ... enjoy that Colt.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I ordered a commander XSE SS, but before the pistol arrives, I've already ordered a BT grip safety, an arched MS housing, and a tactical thumb safety. This is the minimum I figure the pistol needs, although there are a few more things I might do with springs and such. I just thought it was funny to have ordered parts for a pistol I haven't received yet.:biglaugh:
At least you ordered the gun first. I've bought mags and parts before I even purchased a weapon for them.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I did exactly the same thing. I got an XSE Commander and before I picked it up I had ordered and received a new grip safety, an arched MSH, and the same grips I have on my other carry 1911s.

I stayed with the factory safety, even though I did have to finish fitting it so it would engage all the way. This was the 3rd one I had seen in the last 6 months that had the safety only partially fitted.

Now it matches my other carry guns for the same reason you mentioned above.

I have owned and fired enough 1911's over the years to qualify and in competition to be sure what I want on it before firing a couple of thousand rounds. One thing for certain is that I could never live with the Colt grip safety that comes on the XSE. I would prefer just about any other grip safety and certainly the old stock ones from the days prior to the beavertail before I would stay with what comes on it.

·
Banned
759 Posts
You don't know the meaning of "anal" until you spend time on some of the more high dollar "custom" message boards here, some of those guys are so anal it's hard to imagine them being able to shoot their guns.......if you know what I mean LOL:biglaugh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts